Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saw Sir Tom Jones Thursday night....

.... and was just wowed. At 83 he's definitely slowed down, and I'm sure the keys of the songs have been dropped a little, but geez what a force of nature!

Covered his whole catalog and did a brilliant version of Cohen's Tower of Song amongst many other things. Had the pleasure of spending time before and after the show with his keys player, Paddy Milner. Such a lovely guy and he certainly gets a diverse set of songs to play with :) Here's a brief montage of some of his work. I once again want to start playing the accordion :D 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

P.S. Has anyone watched the Nicky Hopkins doco yet? Paddy covered piano duties on that, I think it's only screened at film festivals so far, really keen to see it

Tom Jones is an all-time favorite. His TV show was outstanding. There's a bunch on YouTube. And, I know it's the unpopular opinion, but I like his version of 'Kiss', with The Art of Noise, more than I like Prince's version.

I'm glad you got to see him. Did he do 'Green, Green Grass of Home', 'Help Yourself', and 'What's New, Pussycat?'

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

13 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

Tom Jones is an all-time favorite. His TV show was outstanding. There's a bunch on YouTube. And, I know it's the unpopular opinion, but I like his version of 'Kiss', with The Art of Noise, more than I like Prince's version.

I'm glad you got to see him. Did he do 'Green, Green Grass of Home', 'Help Yourself', and 'What's New, Pussycat?'

I agree re: Kiss, his version is superb!  He sang Green Grass, What's New Pussycat, It's Not Unusual and Delilah from the old catalog but not Help Yourself :) 

• Like 1

My Favorite!!!   The Accordion!!  The Finger Claps!!   The Swooning!!   The Trombone!!

Hal David outdid himself on this!! 

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Also the song he did with Chicane, Stoned In Love, listen to the verses and you'd not realise it's him, then the chorus comes in and it's him alright.

• Like 1
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

6 hours ago, dglcomp said:

Also the song he did with Chicane, Stoned In Love, listen to the verses and you'd not realise it's him, then the chorus comes in and it's him alright.

That's what I love about him - no voice like it. I always knew his older stuff but had pretty much dismissed him as a legacy artist until I saw this in the 90s and realised this guy was an ongoing innovator:

Hopefully he sounds better than Wayne Newton does these days.  They're around the same age but Wayne is just a shell of his former voice.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

8 hours ago, Polkahero said:

Hopefully he sounds better than Wayne Newton does these days.  They're around the same age but Wayne is just a shell of his former voice.

Tom's is still strong - I reckon he's still probably got 70% of what he had at his peak :thu:

• Like 1

Tom is still strong.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin