Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I prefer the sound of CDs over vinyl, but I prefer the look, feel, and general vibe of vinyl over CDs. Streaming doesn’t interest me - I like a physical product

I have The Beatles 2009 remastered box-set on CD. Each album sounds great. Far better (in my opinion) than the Beatles albums on vinyl I used to own and which I sold to a DJ in the 90s

Anyway, I had a brainwave. I’ve just ordered the White Album on vinyl. I no longer own a turntable, nor do I intend buying one, so my plan is to listen to the album on CD whilst holding and caressing(!) the wonderfully full-sized double vinyl gatefold LP. And, of course, the individual pics of the fab four are full-size as is the poster which contains the lyrics and a photo montage

Can anyone relate to this, or am I losing my marbles?

Yup… I lost my marbles long ago. There is something to be said about the “added” fluff of the vinyl days. And the form factor of cd’s is limited to begin with. I find myself owning records, cd’s and streamable license for so many albums its CRAZY!

PEACE

_
_
_

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

On 3/30/2024 at 12:26 PM, BMD said:

On a related topic, why not offer optional-at-extra-cost downloads as well as streams that include interviews, photos, concert posters, etc.? Maybe even isolated tracks. My book downloads include presets, audio examples, and other peripheral stuff that could never be included in a physical book. Why can't music do the same?

I've thought about puttting my 2016 - 2022 music projects on a USB stick at 24/96 along with other goodies, and selling the USB stick as physical media. But I doubt anyone would buy it when they can get the songs for free on YouTube.

• Like 4

On 3/30/2024 at 12:26 PM, BMD said:

Anyway, I had a brainwave. I’ve just ordered the White Album on vinyl. I no longer own a turntable, nor do I intend buying one, so my plan is to listen to the album on CD whilst holding and caressing(!) the wonderfully full-sized double vinyl gatefold LP. And, of course, the individual pics of the fab four are full-size as is the poster which contains the lyrics and a photo montage

Yes I can and what are these "marbles" of which you speak? I was gratified by the poster and stickers inside my first "Dark Side of the Moon" LP. Likewise the inflatable heart in Alice Cooper's "Muscle of Love." As a tangent.. I once worked at a record store where we took turns semi-licitly taking possession of various promotional goodies. (Run-on sentence alert.) That's how I landed my prized, 12" 3-D mobile version of the Hipgnosis cubist hand-shake logo from "Wish You Were Here." Sometimes, my values worry me a little. 🤨

• Like 1
  • Love 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

On 3/30/2024 at 10:26 AM, BMD said:

No, you do you.

I get that each one satisfies a certain aspect.

I too am a vinyl collector who currently has no turntable (that will change eventually). The experience of having all that space for artwork and notes is pretty special; I have occasionally wondered if there was a smaller and more compact/affordable way to package a single CD in a 12" sleeve. Perhaps a very thin sheet of foam that can slide into the jacket, with a cut out for the disc? I don't know.

But there is definitely something to the vinyl experience... just not the sound quality. And people buy plug-ins to put that noise back into records now! RUMPH.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• 3 weeks later...

Nowadays, my vinyl and CD collection serves as a cheap audio source for waveforms.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"