Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

broken zx-a1

I noticed distorted sound from my Electrovoice zx-a1 during the last month. My initial guess was that I had blown its 8-inch main driver, and that I might have caused it by playing left hand bass with a weird synth bass patch during a recent rehearsal, when our bass player was absent. I ended up buying an Alto TS408 based on opinions shared from some of the people whose opinions I value in this forum, and the TS408 sounds a lot better than my zx-a1 had been sounding recently.

My son opened up the zx-a1, discovered it was very easy to remove its amplifier "box", and detached the wires that sent signal to the 8-inch main driver. So he ran a test where he sent the output from the zx-a1 amplifier "box" to one of our Yamaha stage monitors, and he heard the same distortion we had been hearing from the zx-a1 before we opened it up. The conclusion is that it is the amplifier that is blown in the zx-a1, and not the speakers in the zx-a1.

It just occurred to me that I have not tested the second input on the back of the zx-a1 since I started noticing the distortion.

It is possible that I may have caused this by inserting the line-in TS cable into the back of the zx-a1 while it was powered on. I confess to impatience while multitasking.

Has anyone every bought a replacement amplifier "box" for an Electrovoice zx-a1? I saw a listing on Amazon for one priced at $220 but the reviews made it seem very much a hit or miss product.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another non-helpful reply coming, sorry. I thought these speakers had limiting to protect from spikes or overloading their inputs? I would be a little nervous replacing the amp box with one different from what was originally specced for the speaker. Output power, impedances, input sensitivities, etc. can be different. I would think EV designs these boxes with matched components.

My .02? Instead of taking a chance on a $220 amp box, spend another $30 for a second TS408! I know from experience with my two QSC K8s that playing left-hand bass at loud volumes is no problem at all with two 8" >1000W speakers. Go stereo young man - the sound of synth pads and strings, patches with reverb & chorus, etc. in stereo will make you happy! 🙂 

I have bought two replacement amplifiers when my ZXA1s started cutting out after warming up. They were rebuilt units from a Canadian company and worked fine. Very easy to replace. 

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

22 hours ago, Coker said:

I have bought two replacement amplifiers when my ZXA1s started cutting out after warming up. They were rebuilt units from a Canadian company and worked fine. Very easy to replace. 

Can you please share who was the Canadian company and how you contacted them?

On 3/26/2024 at 5:47 PM, harmonizer said:

It is possible that I may have caused this by inserting the line-in TS cable into the back of the zx-a1 while it was powered on. I confess to impatience while multitasking.

Oh No Omg GIF by Emirates FA Cup

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• 4 weeks later...

At the time the new amplifiers didn’t cost as much, and others didn’t seem to be having the problem I was having.  In the end, I ended up selling them anyway, because I wanted amps with more power.  I did sell them for roughly what I paid for the replacement amplifiers, though.  It might have made sense not to repair them and keep the, for studio monitors.

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2