Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neo Vent or Lester K or GSI BURN > solid state Leslie

Yes, my conclusion is that  the simulators mentioned above (I have all) perform better than my 760 or 900 or MS Pro-3.

The main reason: grit, balls, specifically overdrive effect.      ***Disclaimer: My B2-122 combination is still the best thing I've ever had.***

I have sold the 760 and 900, after reaching this conclusion.

The Vent handles my M3 (that I acquired from forumite Phil Aiken). Phil modded the M3 with foldback and quarter inch output. I route the quarter inch into the Vent and then into a Polytone 15-inch combo. It's really sublime.

My A-100 (bought from Boss organ in Boston with Tyler Drabeck mods) used to run thru a 900. It was kinda dull and listless. Now it runs thru a Lester K into a Tube Driver combo (L) and a Polytone Combo (R). Incredible.

Until yesterday, my Korg BX3 v2 ran thru a MS Pro-3 and Univox bass amp. Meh. My GSI is defective so I bought another Lester K. At first I tried to use the Lester as a preamp (no spin) before the pro-3. Couldn't dial it in. Then I went straight from the Korg into Lester into Polytone keyboard amp. I set the drive on the Korg to 3, and drive on the lester to 5. That's GOLD Jerry!

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

This reminds me I should probably sell my Lester K--I like it, but also like the on-board sim enough on my Nord to not really want to have to hook it up.  I bought it for use with a Kurzweil, which I didn't like by itself near as much.   The Lester definitely is *different*.   It's almost hard to say "better or worse" because it's so different.  Kind of a wooly sound, reminds me a bit of analog guitar overdrives vs amp sims.

2 minutes ago, Stokely said:

This reminds me I should probably sell my Lester K--I like it, but also like the on-board sim enough on my Nord to not really want to have to hook it up.  I bought it for use with a Kurzweil, which I didn't like by itself near as much.   The Lester definitely is *different*.   It's almost hard to say "better or worse" because it's so different.  Kind of a wooly sound, reminds me a bit of analog guitar overdrives vs amp sims.

All three of those pedals are really good, but are very different from each other, and react differently with different gear. My M3 dod not love the lester, but loved the vent. The exact opposite is true of the A-100.

Another disclaimer: For live gigs, I use a nord electro 6, and use the internal sim. I know the nord's B3 sounds incredible with the vent, but the NE6's internal sim is really good, and I can't justify the minor hassle of another piece of gear. Thank You Nord.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Indeed, I think I have the same sim with the Nord Stage 3.  Very happy with the tone I'm getting right now, there were some great tweaks suggested on the Nord forum (like using some drive from the amp/eq section.)    

3 hours ago, Joe P said:

This topic brought a smile to my face.  I ran my M3 into my Organ Grinder into my MiniVent into a Fender Twin.  What a sound!:rawk:

I bet! The M3 has real character, it really loves the vent, and I really love both together=Lovefest

I’ve found that certain Leslie simulators sound better than others depending on the source organ. I have an original Ventilator which sounds comparatively better when paired with my (original) Nord Stage than the Kronos CX-3.

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

55 minutes ago, Moonglow said:

I’ve found that certain Leslie simulators sound better than others depending on the source organ. I have an original Ventilator which sounds comparatively better when paired with my (original) Nord Stage than the Kronos CX-3.

When you say "comparatively," do you mean compared to how they sounded with their own sims, or how they sounded compared to each other?

Tangentially... In a test I posted some years ago while a bunch of clones all sounded noticeably different through their own sims, they sounded much more indistinguishable from each other when they were all put through a Vent. But there were a lot of variables that were not necessarily tested, like adding C/V, or a variety of drawbar registrations, etc.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

23 hours ago, sagetunes said:

Yes, my conclusion is that the simulators mentioned above (I have all) perform better than my 760 or 900 or MS Pro-3.

The main reason: grit, balls, specifically overdrive effect. ...

I tend to prefer simulators as well. But my reason is I generally prefer the rotary effect from a simulator. My main reason is stereo imaging. I think simulators tend to fill stereo field as compared to a single Leslie in most rooms. I like that stereo exaggeration.

My related gear:

Roland VK-8 and VR-09, Nord Electro6, Yamaha YC61, Yamaha Reface YC. Numerous organ plugins.

Leslie model 330 (solid state version of a 145).

Yamaha RA-50 amp with rotating top speaker mechanism.

Leslie pedal (the one by Suzuki/Hammond).

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

If you're talking preference of sound it is always a real leslie, especially if it is driven by a tube amp. Given though that they have to be transported for gigs then that changes the dynamic; the days of hauling, setting up, micing the leslie are over for me, under gigging conditions sims work best for me.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

i had a Vent years ago that i bought to pair with an Emu B3 module. The Emu was samples. The samples had been recorded via a Leslie cabinet. So even if I used the samples ‘dry’ without the rotating speaker effect, they still had the Leslie cabinet sound baked in. So does the Vent, at least version 1 did. So I had a Hammond sampled though a Leslie cabinet into a simulated Leslie cabinet. Not good. Unless you can bypass the simulated Leslie cabinet in these pedals and just run the doppler effect you may have the same problem running a pedal with a Leslie cabinet sim into a real Leslie cabinet. Into a non-Leslie cabinet like a Polytone, sure.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

7 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

When you say "comparatively," do you mean compared to how they sounded with their own sims, or how they sounded compared to each other?

The Nord Stage with a Ventilator sounds better than the Kronos/CX-3 with a Ventilator.

Nord Stage + Ventilator > Kronos/CX-3 + Ventilator

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

10 minutes ago, niacin said:

i had a Vent years ago that i bought to pair with an Emu B3 module. The Emu was samples. The samples had been recorded via a Leslie cabinet. So even if I used the samples ‘dry’ without the rotating speaker effect, they still had the Leslie cabinet sound baked in. So does the Vent, at least version 1 did. So I had a Hammond sampled though a Leslie cabinet into a simulated Leslie cabinet. Not good. 

The original Vent had a guitar/keyboard switch... in the guitar position it eliminates the emulation of the Leslie cabinet sound (beneficial because guitarists are typically intentionally making use of the  particular coloration of their own amp, whereas keyboard players usually aim for a neutral sounding amp/speaker).

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 minute ago, AnotherScott said:

The original Vent had a guitar/keyboard switch... in the guitar position it eliminates the emulation of the Leslie cabinet sound (beneficial because guitarists are typically intentionally making use of the  particular coloration of their own amp, whereas keyboard players usually aim for a neutral sounding amp/speaker).

Good to know, thank you 👍

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals