Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland Go:Keys 3 and 5 with Zen core sounds

OK, it's basically a store.   

Here is what it costs to upgrade the RD-08.   BWAH ha ha ha ha ha ha 😆

That's a one-time fee for a lifetime license to have your RD-08 functioning like an RD88. 

ScreenShot20243.thumb.png.9fbb696931a9280135dab609371de7fa.png

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

9 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

GB? lol. 😉

Seriously... the Fantom-0 is 256 mb for sample expansions. The RD-88 lets you load two EXP expansions... which implies 64 mb. I would guess it's that or half that for the GO. 

Yea I should have put the "/s" tag on my post there - I did mean it that way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

With all this stuff, there is no way around (at least as far as I can see) creating and account and installing their Roland Cloud Manager - so Roland will live on your Mac/PC along with Waves, NI, IK etc. who have done the same.   Avid still lets you decide if you want to download your software from the website or have their account management software running on your computer. 

I was always resistant to having yet another library manager installed on my computer, but I've pretty much given in to the fact. And one of the reasons I have, is that with increasingly larger library sizes, the managers "manage" intermittent download interruptions better than the browser. When downloading a library that is half a Terabyte or more, the last thing you want is to have to start again!

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

29 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

I was always resistant to having yet another library manager installed on my computer, but I've pretty much given in to the fact. And one of the reasons I have, is that with increasingly larger library sizes, the managers "manage" intermittent download interruptions better than the browser. When downloading a library that is half a Terabyte or more, the last thing you want is to have to start again!

It is what it is, right, this is the way it works so the point is moot.  

So, I made an account, I have Roland Cloud Manager installed.   I know what it would cost to bump up an RD-08 (it's obvious the RD-88 makes more sense).  I've installed Zenology Lite, it's a little software ROMpler with a demo library.   It runs fine on my 2013 MacBook Pro, 10.9 is the required OS.  A Core Membership is $2.99 a month or $29.99 a year.  It's like renting an XV-5080 for the year. 

ScreenShot20244.thumb.png.9ba3c264972644dd344132993374cc79.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

It is what it is, right, this is the way it works so the point is moot.  

So, I made an account, I have Roland Cloud Manager installed.   I know what it would cost to bump up an RD-08 (it's obvious the RD-88 makes more sense).  I've installed Zenology Lite, it's a little software ROMpler with a demo library.   It runs fine on my 2013 MacBook Pro, 10.9 is the required OS.  A Core Membership is $2.99 a month or $29.99 a year.  

ScreenShot20244.thumb.png.9ba3c264972644dd344132993374cc79.png

I installed the Roland Cloud Manager when I first purchased my RD88. I have barely gone near it since, I've not actually been that interested in it, not because I don't think it has value, but mainly because I have so many other options, it gets overwhelming. That said, I know so little about it, it's like I haven't got it:)

• Like 2

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

1 minute ago, DeltaJockey said:

I installed the Roland Cloud Manager when I first purchased my RD88. I have barely gone near it since, I've not actually been that interested in it, not because I don't think it has value, but mainly because I have so many other options, it gets overwhelming. That said, I know so little about it, it's like I haven't got it:)

I’m not sure I would insert Zenology in MainStage when building a set list  - seems like a lot of this is already covered in Apple’s sound collection.  Although these example patches do sound very historically Rolandish.

If I grabbed an RD88 I’d USB up to make sure I have the sounds I actually want and need on the hardware keyboard - is Roland policing that your subscription is active when not connected?  Do you have to connect monthly or something to prove to the RD88 operating system that you’re actively licensed to use the sounds? 

• Like 1

Yes, I wonder if you need to be active to keep things going. I guess it doesn't matter so much for the free stuff, you could just rejoin I suppose.

I agree, the Zenology plugins have the advantage of Roland sounding vintage stuff you don't get with Apple, but of course some of the Roland sounds have already been available third party like Arturia/Cherry etc. I'm already overflowing with third party stuff I don't get the time to use, so for me the RD88 was always the best option on the lightweight stage piano hardware side.

Form factor looks great, better than CT-S1. The only question is: 

1) Speaker quality

2) Keyboard touch

I've seen online 2x2.5 watts on the keys 3 which is just like CT-S1. Of course wattage doesn't dictate volume or clarity 

About the speaker difference, any one knows if the keys 5 are louder/better? I don't know what the term radiator speakers translates to. And how it would compare to Casio. Probably will see once it reaches the stores.

Never played the GO, I wonder how it fairs vs CT-S1/500 as well in terms of keyboard feel /keybed.

About sound, definitely kills the Casio in my opinion, from what I could hear online so far...

Another thing to consider is battery life, due to the updated sound engine and functions. Not sure if this model can sustain much...

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

20 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

Yes, I wonder if you need to be active to keep things going. I guess it doesn't matter so much for the free stuff, you could just rejoin I suppose.

I agree, the Zenology plugins have the advantage of Roland sounding vintage stuff you don't get with Apple, but of course some of the Roland sounds have already been available third party like Arturia/Cherry etc. I'm already overflowing with third party stuff I don't get the time to use, so for me the RD88 was always the best option on the lightweight stage piano hardware side.

For the basic subscription you get access to all the sound packs and wave expansions on your computer. This does not allow them to be downloaded onto the RD-88. 

A lifetime key must be purchased to be able to load anything onto the RD-88. Once purchased there is no requirement to authorise it online. As per the Fantom packs, once they are on, they remain on till they are uninstalled. 

If you sell the keyboard, the license still remains with you and is tied to your Roland account. However the keyboard won't know about the sale and the expansions will continue to work till uninstalled. As far as I am aware , none of the Roland keyboards up till now have anything that resembles user Ids or profiles. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

With all this stuff, there is no way around (at least as far as I can see) creating and account and installing their Roland Cloud Manager - so Roland will live on your Mac/PC along with Waves, NI, IK etc. who have done the same.   Avid still lets you decide if you want to download your software from the website or have their account management software running on your computer. 

There is no need to run the Roland Cloud Manager at all once you have downloaded and installed the plugins. On windows you can disable the app from the Startup Apps list and it won't run automatically again. You can run in manually as and when you need it. I assume Macs can do the same. 

The plugins are  capable of authorising themselves every 30 days without needing the help of the cloud manager. 

22 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

During the install process the installer flips out and goes into reverse because I'm not logged into it yet.  Very strange, but it opens my default browser for me, Iogin at the website and then it brings me back to Roland Cloud Manager.  

ScreenShot20242.png.a16ad4b50c856e2c2af89ec926a12229.png

This is the new world. A number of software companies are using the browser to do their authentication. I don't know the logic behind it but it seems to becoming more common. Even some Microsoft tools do this. 

It's horrible and totally user unfriendly but who cares about the user anymore? 

47 minutes ago, Ibarch said:

For the basic subscription you get access to all the sound packs and wave expansions on your computer. This does not allow them to be downloaded onto the RD-88. 

A lifetime key must be purchased to be able to load anything onto the RD-88. Once purchased there is no requirement to authorise it online. As per the Fantom packs, once they are on, they remain on till they are uninstalled. 

If you sell the keyboard, the license still remains with you and is tied to your Roland account. However the keyboard won't know about the sale and the expansions will continue to work till uninstalled. As far as I am aware , none of the Roland keyboards up till now have anything that resembles user Ids or profiles. 

Excellent clarification in this post, thank you for that!

So, a base subscription is really for use of sounds and software on the computer.  Getting sounds onto Roland hardware requires purchase of a lifetime key.  And this eliminates the need for them to police the hardware with some naff notion like connecting it to a pc once a month - or having wifi on the keyboard that phones home.  

Lifetime keys seem to offer the most flexibility of use and do not require any type of subscription.  

28 minutes ago, Ibarch said:

This is the new world. A number of software companies are using the browser to do their authentication. I don't know the logic behind it but it seems to becoming more common. Even some Microsoft tools do this. 

It's horrible and totally user unfriendly but who cares about the user anymore? 

Fair question, but the real issue is... overpopulation. There are so many OF us that our individual unit value has dropped, in conjunction with companies having to keep track of the often top-heavy user base. Business needs and operating practicalities are inevitable. You need a whole 'nother machine and staff to handle various customer issues, apart from producing your synths/software. 

If I was facing 2000+ e-mails a day, I'd be keen on a utility for keeping some of them at bay, too! I'm not wild for browser & cloud-based situations, but I can live with it. That's part of why I have a D-50 and a CS-80+. Oh, the anguish, however will I cope?? :hitt:    

• Haha 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Bells and whistles aside, all I could care about is its Piano 1 sound, and its behavior, and the key action response compared to the already excellent Casio CT-S1.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

21 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Do you have to connect monthly or something to prove to the RD88 operating system that you’re actively licensed to use the sounds? 

Based on my experience with Roland Cloud compatible products (MC-707, MC-101, etcs) I would guess the answer is no.

I only need to connect to Roland Cloud to get firmware updates or buy a new preset pack for one of my Roland machine.  Once I've downloaded what I needed from Roland Cloud, I can kill the Roland Cloud app, copy the files that I need to SD card, then move the SD card to the Roland machine.

That's right, I can't download any Roland Cloud stuff directly to any of my Roland machines.  I have to download to my computer, then manually move the files via SD card to the Roland machine.

OTOH, this also means my Roland machines do not go online and therefore being online or not is irrelevant to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jazz+ said:

Bells and whistles aside, all I could care about is its Piano 1 sound, and its behavior, and the key action response compared to the already excellent Casio CT-S1.

That's a good question - which piano sample did Roland choose to snag from Zenology to use as Piano 1.  Is it an SR JV tone?  It's not the "Go Piano" - that's a different product, and on that one I think they afforded more space in the memory for acoustic piano than the variety of sounds they put in the Go Keys. 

If Roland have used the same keybed as on the previous Go Keys and Go Piano then it won't stand up well to the Casio CT-S1 and S500s. They are the best semi weighted boards I've played. 

The piano tones were quite even so be interesting to see if Roland have changed this. 

• Like 2

With local off capability, and class compliant audio and midi, this could be a lot of fun with an iPad sitting on the optional music rest…

It may also allow cc access to things like cutoff/resonance and ADSR - as the previous GO:KEYS did - which would make it interesting to me as a travel keyboard.

On 3/28/2024 at 4:19 AM, Ibarch said:

If Roland have used the same keybed as on the previous Go Keys and Go Piano then it won't stand up well to the Casio CT-S1 and S500s. They are the best semi weighted boards I've played. 

The piano tones were quite even so be interesting to see if Roland have changed this. 

I love my CT-S1 - it is my favorite MIDI keyboard controller. I have it connected with my iPad via the Casio Bluetooth Adapter. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I tried the Go:Keys 3 for a few minutes at a music store. Keep in mind - a few minutes means no conclusive impressions.

Speakers' volume is around the same as the Casio CTS1, give or take. The sounds are better than Casio for sure.

The action is passable but a bit weird. I would probably prefer the Casio? Not sure. Doing gliss on them is a horrific experience, maybe even more so than the Casio, the "plasticky" feeling is just... yikes.

The board in the showroom was the Red Go Keys 3. It looks slick, I like the subdued color scheme and the overall form factor. Mod wheel feels nice and not low quality. Plethora of buttons, most of them are for "meh" functions. Not much in terms of sound control etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

9 hours ago, Chummy said:

I tried the Go:Keys 3 for a few minutes at a music store. Keep in mind - a few minutes means no conclusive impressions.

Speakers' volume is around the same as the Casio CTS1, give or take. The sounds are better than Casio for sure.

The action is passable but a bit weird. I would probably prefer the Casio? Not sure. Doing gliss on them is a horrific experience, maybe even more so than the Casio, the "plasticky" feeling is just... yikes.

The board in the showroom was the Red Go Keys 3. It looks slick, I like the subdued color scheme and the overall form factor. Mod wheel feels nice and not low quality. Plethora of buttons, most of them are for "meh" functions. Not much in terms of sound control etc.

Thanks for posting this mini-review. I am very surprised that there is such low coverage of this product launch. Previously, the cheapest option to get Zen core sounds was the MC-101 groovebox (I think). Now you can get them on this $350 USD keyboard. 

12 hours ago, JamieT said:

Thanks for posting this mini-review. I am very surprised that there is such low coverage of this product launch. Previously, the cheapest option to get Zen core sounds was the MC-101 groovebox (I think). Now you can get them on this $350 USD keyboard. 

Yes, except the MC-101 can work as a multi-timbral sound module - which the new GO-KEYS models can’t…

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the 5. I've got a Yamaha PSR-E473, which I love, except the super light key action. The keys on the Casio CT S500 feel much better, but the tone quality and speaker quality are inferior to the Yamaha. I'm hoping the Roland Go Keys 5 will be the best of both worlds. The chord sequencer on the Go Keys caught my attention. You have to spend close to $2000 to get chord sequencing on a Yamaha PSR-SX900.

19 hours ago, Chummy said:

How would you say the CK61 compares to the Go:Keys 5 in terms of speakers , key action and sound engine quality for those of you who tested both?

Should be able to compare in a week or so. Interesting that the Roland costs about half as much as the Yamaha. 

• Like 1