Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New: EV ZLX G2 speaker line

Electro-Voice just released the next generation of their ZLX line - the ZLX G2. 8", 12", and 15" options, passive and active versions. Weights are 23.46 lbs, 32.67lbs, and 37 lbs, respectively. I actually ran into one of these (the active 12" version) today at Guitar Center and played some recorded keys tracks I've made through it. Coming off of a week of gigs using my ELX200-10p model, these new models are not quite there IMO, but they're a perfectly reasonable speaker. Of course, I only tried it in mono with recorded tracks and it was on a shelf, so not exactly ideal conditions. Might be worth checking out.

https://products.electrovoice.com/na/en/zlx-g2-powered-loudspeaker/
https://products.electrovoice.com/na/en/zlx-g2-passive-loudspeaker/

I will say - my experience with my ELX200-10p, the next model series in the lineup, has been that it's a good general-purpose speaker but is lacking in the low end compared to even my old Yamaha MSR100, which was a mere 8". I notice it mostly when playing left-hand bass with my SK Pro - the low end drops off fast. It's also not a fan of Minnesota temperatures and needs significant time to warm up enough for the DSP to turn on - not a great fit for unheated storage in winter.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I've had my ELX112P for 10 years now. It's the wood version which is a big reason why i bought it, it has a warmer sound than many ABS cabinets and produces a more solid bass. Probably 5 pounds heavier than an ABS equivalent. It doesnt owe me anything....

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

6 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

I've had my ELX112P for 10 years now. It's the wood version which is a big reason why i bought it, it has a warmer sound than many ABS cabinets and produces a more solid bass. Probably 5 pounds heavier than an ABS equivalent. It doesnt owe me anything....

That is the one that would be my choice if I was still a serious player. For my use, and age, I've been happy with the lighter, cheaper versions. I have two sets, plus a single 12" that I bought, intending to turn it into a pair some day.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I have two ZLKs I got from sweetwater that have been great as keyboard monitors. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Ever since EV closed their US manufacturing their products took a major step down in quality. IMHO they really are no better than products from Alto and other budget companies.  

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Just as this post appeared...I happened to find a single ZLX 8 inch in Goodwill for 30 bucks....and it works! So I notice that these sell new for $599....wow....I wouldn't pay that much.....except for one thing I hooked it up to Viscount Legend Live and oh my god.....it's possibly the best speaker I have heard for a clonewheel. The percussion never gets shrill like so many other speakers including QSC. It lacks the ability to get loud in the low end before clipping but for the Viscount it just sounds right 

I hope Hammond Dave is right and that I can get an Alto or some such thing that can be this good. But somehow Dave just seems to think that he can post something less than respectful about a piece of gear..     but if I say something that is not "positive" about Rick Beato....then I am called a "Sad Hater ". Just pointing out a potential double standard here. I respect Dave's right to freedom of speech....but I do not appreciate name calling and  labeling my post as being  sad hater material.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         The EV ZLX seems over priced but it can also make my Viscount sing. I am going to be looking into the Alto line and others to have some kind of stereo pair using the ZLX......although not an exact match admiditally.. I am not beyond using something with a larger woofer and more power to get Leslie sim in stereo.  

6 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

I hope Hammond Dave is right and that I can get an Alto or some such thing that can be this good. But somehow Dave just seems to think that he can post something less than respectful about a piece of gear..     but if I say something that is not "positive" about Rick Beato....then I am called a "Sad Hater ". Just pointing out a potential double standard here. I respect Dave's right to freedom of speech....but I do not appreciate name calling and  labeling my post as being  sad hater material.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         The EV ZLX seems over priced but it can also make my Viscount sing. I am going to be looking into the Alto line and others to have some kind of stereo pair using the ZLX......although not an exact match admiditally.. I am not beyond using something with a larger woofer and more power to get Leslie sim in stereo.  

Being kind and supportive to our fellow musicians is part of the Golden Rule.

Regarding equipment, I think I call them like I see ‘em. Try the Altos, and if you like them, you don’t have to thank me and the many others who gig with them. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D