Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do I need a DI?

34 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Not to bust on you in particular – but while what you're saying makes sense, lots of folks here seem to have no problem sending a phasey summed stereo signal to a mono PA, or just the L or R output. Will a $250 DI box make that "last mile" sound better? Go to any gig anywhere and tell me you can hear the quality of the DI boxes used. There's a hell of a lot more going on in the signal chain that can eff up the sound. A shit sound engineer will do a lot more damage than a cheap DI box imo!

if you're recording live in a top-flight recording studio, you want your A+ game when it comes to sound quality so maybe one of those Radials makes sense. Those kinds of studios are probably well-equipped with quality DI boxes to begin with - at least I've always found that to be the case the few times I've done those kinds of sessions.

Not to bust on anyone but have to agree here, I've been using Rapco DI's since 1988 and when listening to my rig, as I invite other keyboard players to come up and play, I'm not hearing any sound degradation in my rig due to the Rapco DI's that I'm using.  Also agree with the summation of stereo to mono comment; I've actually brought this up as a topic and the responses received back indicates there is going to be signal degradation if the house is receiving a mono signal being summed from a stereo signal either from the keyboard itself or from the mixer.  Also, many of us use mixers between the keyboards and FOH, unless that mixer is top of the line then there is probably some coloration of the sound going into the signal chain due to the mixer.  If you connect the output of the keyboard monitor's XLR out (in my case an EV speaker) to the FOH there is an impact there as well as who knows what the quality of those components are doing the signal send.  Anything between the Keyboard and the FOH can color/degrade the signal.  So the OP might actually have the best solution since he is going keyboard directly to the FOH.    🙃

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

34 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Will a $250 DI box make that "last mile" sound better? Go to any gig anywhere and tell me you can hear the quality of the DI boxes used.

No, but a shitty house DI can possibly make the last mile sound worse.  I've had it happen and totally ruined a gig for me.  Bought my own Radial Pro D2.  At the very least, I don't worry about my signal to the board on gigs anymore.  $200 for 2 channels is definitely worth the piece of mind.

*Note:  by shitty, I mean a club/house DI that has been used and abused.  Had beer spilled on it.  Fallen off stages.  And the like. 

As with any tool, some of us are happy with basement quality and some of us just like having top professional quality. 

Also, like in pool, some will be just as good with a broomstick as a pool cue.   And I mean that at all skill levels. 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I’ve used a ton of Rapco DIs over the decades.  They were popular with sound contractors in the Midwest US.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

21 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Also, like in pool, some will be just as good with a broomstick as a pool cue.   And I mean that at all skill levels. 

I assure you, in pool, I am equally bad with a broomstick as I am with a pool cue.

• Haha 1

I think everyone agreed in the beginning that running a line level signal into a mic level mixer channel is ok if you keep the fader below distortion.   It’s just not ideal from a gain staging point of view.    

The fact that he’s using an adapter cable for 1/4” to XLR to me indicates a DI is in order as that’s what they’re for. Whether it has a pad or not is answered by my first sentence.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

If you have XLR output in your keyboard you can plug that to the mixer/FOH. But, what are you going to do if you get a buzz & hum from ground loop and you don't have a DI box?

On 3/14/2024 at 7:08 AM, rockinredeye said:

My Kurzweil PC4 has balanced outs and a hot signal. Plugging mono TRS to XLR directly from instrument to PA, I can only move the volume slider to about halfway. Any further and I get overload distortion. Been playing like this for years but would a DI box help? Miraculously give me a strong, clean signal? I don’t really want to pay $250 for a Jensen just for a -15db pad. So, keep the volume at half or go for the DI?

Hello y'all, I'm the new guy! 

This sounds like a serious gain stage problem, the fact that your PC4 has balanced output could be in play here, does your mixer have balanced inputs?

I have a PC3 as my main kb, and have had troubles in this realm with certain signal paths.

I doubt a DI would be necessary, however it's always good to have in the toolbox (passive) in case you get ground problems etc. Have a look at DBX DJDI, a great 2 channel DI for decent money (I have four of those....), and keep it in your toolbox for when needed.

Good Luck!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro