Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT? Tape for charts

My apologies to the OP.  I switched to ForScore (on iPad) a few months ago.  It works so much better than my old system of three ring binders and paper sheets.  

With my paper system, I would use scotch tape whenI had long pieces (say six pages or so).  The scotch tape worked fine.  The problem was handling the paper.  Page turns with ForScore work much better.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

5 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

So, when you get music larger than 8 1/2 x 11, do you reduce the size with a photocopier?

Ideally, yes. I own a nice Epson printer/copier/scanner that can handle larger documents. And I do the opposite with choir music octavos, which are smaller.

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC4-7, Studiologic Numa X 73

8 hours ago, Brad Kaenel said:

Ideally, yes. I own a nice Epson printer/copier/scanner that can handle larger documents. And I do the opposite with choir music octavos, which are smaller.

New word of the day - octavo!  I haven't done much choir work before, and haven't heard that term.  (Choir music usually comes in this size - roughly 7" x 10 3/4", called octavo).  I've been doing some of this lately, so I can impress the conductor with my new vocabulary.

Since my eyesight is not great, I photocopy the octavos and make them larger - 108% or 109% seems to work - onto 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  Makes it easier to read, and I can mark it up with chord symbols, etc, to help me.   Some of this music, especially more gospel-oriented, has lots of juicy chords going on.

Leading to this thread about taping charts.  I've done lots of taping before, mostly big band charts, and just long charts in general, but choral charts is new.

2 hours ago, PianoMan51 said:

That guy makes good videos about charts!  I also watched his videos about the pros and cons of using tablets for charts.  He also discussed how formatting charts for tablets is different than for paper.  Interesting stuff.   It's something that I probably won't be getting into, for various reasons.  But according to him (and he should know), it's becoming a necessity for working musicians, like it or not.

This thread's made it to page 2 - whoda thunk?

• 3 months later...
On 2/23/2024 at 5:29 PM, Floyd Tatum said:

That sounds interesting, never heard of that.   I googled "foldable music desk" but got nothing.   Could you link to an ad for one them?  Thanks.

I made it myself, out of black core foam board I bought at Walmart. It’s four feet long with a 1-1/2 inch shelf and folds to 12-1/2 x 12 x 1 inch.  It weighs 13 ounces.

IMG_1359.jpeg

IMG_1362.jpeg

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

18 hours ago, Coker said:

I made it myself, out of black core foam board I bought at Walmart. It’s four feet long with a 1-1/2 inch shelf and folds to 12-1/2 x 12 x 1 inch.  It weighs 13 ounces.

Interesting.   Do you set it on a manhasset-type stand?   How do you get the 1-1/2-inch shelf to be flat when folded, but maintain a 90 degree angle when unfolded?

4 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Interesting.   Do you set it on a manhasset-type stand?   How do you get the 1-1/2-inch shelf to be flat when folded, but maintain a 90 degree angle when unfolded?

I use a Hercules folding stand. The shelf is clipped to the stand with spring clips. All edges and folding surfaces reinforced with black duct tape.

IMG_1364.jpeg

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Not much help but did a big band gig and the charts used some kind of 1/4 inch white tape. Some sheets just came apart, so I just scotch taped those. 

Are people who use pdfs with a chart reader like Ipad, bringing paper backups if it fails? 

I did a wedding ceremony and just realized forgot to print out song requests I was new to for backup. Would of been not cool. 

But it went well. The Ipad pro with forscore makes it breeze. I worry about battery life though, even if bringing a charger. How long do they last?

I’ve used iPads on gigs for almost ten years. Never had a failure or heard of anybody else with a failure. I do however keep a small charger cube and cable in my gig bag in case I get absent minded and forget to charge up before a gig.