Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Welcome to the ‘Hotel California’ case: The trial over handwritten lyrics to an Eagles classic

“The song, ‘Hotel California’, became one of rock’s most indelible singles. And nearly a half-century later, those handwritten pages of lyrics-in-the-making have become the center of an unusual criminal trial set to open Wednesday.”

https://apnews.com/article/hotel-california-lyrics-manuscript-trial-eagles-henley-973e74e795416821e6f022895b47b78e

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Interesting. I wonder why they don't just give them to Henley. He's got more than enough $ to buy them back and the story notes that he's done as much before. That guy Sanders's story shifting over and over doesn't bode well for them, and I guess explains why the prosecutors felt confident enough to bring the case. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Sanders is 84 years old, so his memory might be a little foggy. Who knows. 

52 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Interesting. I wonder why they don't just give them to Henley.

That would be the right thing to do, IMO. Then again, lawyers are involved. :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

I wonder why they don't just give them to Henley. He's got more than enough $ to buy them back and the story notes that he's done as much before.

The thought of Henley even having to buy back his own handwritten lyrics (twice) is ridiculous.  But, in a litigious and capitalistic society, it's no surprise.

Folks will steal and go to jail or try to buy/sell anything....Madonna latex briefs.🤮🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Henley has lots of experience with legalities and his creative property. An interesting book to read is The Operator about David Geffen. Henley is also as good as it gets confidently articulating his story as a witness. The other side would be wise to hold him to yes / no questions and avoid opportunities to elaborate.

One thing that I find strange is that for what should be a civil dispute, the defendants were remanded to jail and handcuffed.   Possibly for flight risk, or just for messing with Don, a friend of the prosecution?

Screenshot2024-02-22at7_28_16PM.thumb.png.397b0b0cfd5f23183a0a1c1f874c8b1d.png

Apparently the prosecutors may have ulterior motives. 

"Defense lawyers claim Henley found starstruck prosecutors to take up his cause instead of pursuing a civil suit himself.

The DA’s office worked closely with Henley’s legal team, and an investigator even yearned for backstage passes for an Eagles show — until a prosecutor said the idea was “completely inappropriate,” Kosinki’s lawyers said in court papers.

Prosecutors have rebuffed questions about their motivations as “a conspiracy theory rather than a legal defense.”

Last year, they wrote in court papers, “It is the defendants, not the prosecutors, who are on trial.”

I would advise the defense to subpoena the prosecutors for large sums of undocumented cash lying around their apartments.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

warning: Not a Henley fan…

Have been watching Henley’s and his teams actions surrounding “his” music, I am both in awe of someone’s creative fortitude yet left with a bad feeling when it comes to legacy of that creation.

The very public actions he and his “team” have taken over the years, especially since online streaming platforms have blossomed, looms a lot like patent troll behavior from someone stuck in a paradigm of win/lose instead of win/win. Removing and content striking EVERY video which infringes on HIS copyright is missing the boat! Can’t even publish an appreciation of HIS music online without it getting struck!!!

He and his music could be appreciated and generate even more fame and money for all those interested… heck HIS music might even inspire someone if they weren't so fearful of getting sued out of existence for doing exactly what Henley and all other artist have done…

steal from others, then claim it

While my artistic creativity is hopefully an invitation for others to take from as I take from them as well, its an exchange. I do recognize the need to feed ourselves with our creativity, and so how to build non momentary structures for music to thrive in?

Henley’s creations are HIS, if that’s all he see’s in them, a means to money. It certainly feels like that for the lawyers involved…

copyrights and patents are no longer about protecting the artist as much as protecting the industry which profits from the artists!

PEACE

_
_
_

• Like 1

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

I was once renting a house with three friends, where we agreed to take turns at the household turntable. The rest of us played T-Dream, Traffic, Genesis, etc. The minion of evil chose "Hotel California"... again and again and again. I feel a small dose of hives rising from even typing the title. It would have been bad enough if it was a crap band, but no. :rolleyes:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

On 2/23/2024 at 3:00 AM, Thethirdapple said:

warning: Not a Henley fan…

Have been watching Henley’s and his teams actions surrounding “his” music, I am both in awe of someone’s creative fortitude yet left with a bad feeling when it comes to legacy of that creation.

The very public actions he and his “team” have taken over the years, especially since online streaming platforms have blossomed, looms a lot like patent troll behavior from someone stuck in a paradigm of win/lose instead of win/win. Removing and content striking EVERY video which infringes on HIS copyright is missing the boat! Can’t even publish an appreciation of HIS music online without it getting struck!!!

He and his music could be appreciated and generate even more fame and money for all those interested… heck HIS music might even inspire someone if they weren't so fearful of getting sued out of existence for doing exactly what Henley and all other artist have done…

steal from others, then claim it

While my artistic creativity is hopefully an invitation for others to take from as I take from them as well, its an exchange. I do recognize the need to feed ourselves with our creativity, and so how to build non momentary structures for music to thrive in?

Henley’s creations are HIS, if that’s all he see’s in them, a means to money. It certainly feels like that for the lawyers involved…

copyrights and patents are no longer about protecting the artist as much as protecting the industry which profits from the artists!

Were copyrights and patents ever protecting the musical artist exclusively? Historically, what could an artist do and how far could an artist get without the industry supporting their product? It has typically been this way with the aural and visual arts. An industry has co-created the artist.

There is a philosophical wall between the greed of the old system and younger generation's free-for-all POV. There is some benefit to accepting how things have changed. Interests can still prosper but at a lesser rate. To reject and fight it diminishes all benefits. In the end Henley may lose more with his effort to retain control simply because he is unwilling to lose any of it.

I would love to be able to purchase a video sync license for "Life in the Fast Lane", because our covers band plays it, and my son sings the lead vocal, and I would love to be able to post a video of this on our band's youtube channel. So for me it's a very personal and strong want for this. Before I knew about Don Henley's stance on copyrights, I tried posting a draft version of such a video, and even with it only being in non-published status (meaning one would need to know the exact video URL to view it), youtube immediately told me it was blocked in a very long list of countries (basically everywhere that would matter to me).

Then I read up on Henley's position on this, and even watched a video of Don Henley's testimony on this topic to a congressional committee.

As inconvenient as this is for my personal wants, I'm totally with Don Henley on the copyright issue. It's their composition. There wouldn't be a "Life in the Fast Lane" song worthy of covering if they had not composed it. My covers band is not forced to play it - there is a world of other good songs worth covering, but we choose to cover it because the song has value as a composition.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Thethirdapple said:

Charges dropped ?!?!

i guess the prosecutor isn't getting concert tickets…

PEACE

_
_
_

They weren't expecting Henley's past arrest for child sex charges would be admitted along with a whole bunch of emails showing he had given away the material to a third party anyway.   It was all over at that point.  

• Confused 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

18 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

They weren't expecting Henley's past arrest for child sex charges would be admitted along with a whole bunch of emails showing he had given away the material to a third party anyway.   It was all over at that point.  

Oops...

Despite the judge excoriating Henley for “manipulating” the Manhattan District Attorney and "weaponizing their attorney-client privilege to hide information that they believed would be damaging”,  Henely plans to press on.  

Henely knew they were innocent (which is what was in the Attorney-Client document dump that he never thought would come out), but wanted to see them thrown in prison anyway.    That's how Don rolls.

I think the defendants have a great civil case against Henely for civil rights violations.    

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3