Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SWAM Magic

Audio Modeling (formerly named Sample Modeling) has been on my radar for a while. The expressiveness of their instruments is simply incredible. And what a nice coincidence to have a room full of amazing Italian music nerds!

Founder/CEO Mr. Stefano Lucato is an excellent composer too. I love this demo tune he wrote. Brings me right back to late 70's/early 80's when this type of orchestral Sophisti-Pop was much more common.

Yeah, SWAM is really designed for use with additional external controller input. Possibly remapping the paddle (and/or using a pedal) would help? See...

https://kb.audiomodeling.com/en/c/general-information/d/is-it-possible-to-control-swam-instruments-using-only-noteon-velocity

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Where I find all sax patches lack is in the attack. Something like Roland's Breathy Sax sounds good and realistic enough, at least for everyone except real sax players, at slow and sexy tempos and phrasing. But try to rip something fast and the breathy attack gets flubby. Tighten the attack for fast passages and you lose the realism the sound first had when you slow down again. A Sax patch needs some velocity dynamics to change the attack with speed. Even the SWAM lacks this in my experimenting. Maybe a better sound tweeker can get it. 

FunMachine.

24 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Where I find all sax patches lack is in the attack. Something like Roland's Breathy Sax sounds good and realistic enough, at least for everyone except real sax players, at slow and sexy tempos and phrasing. But try to rip something fast and the breathy attack gets flubby. Tighten the attack for fast passages and you lose the realism the sound first had when you slow down again. A Sax patch needs some velocity dynamics to change the attack with speed. Even the SWAM lacks this in my experimenting. Maybe a better sound tweeker can get it. 

are you using a midi sax?  the swam sax is great.  i use a roland aerophone. The controls on the Aerophone are great, however the Roland sounds suck, but with Swam it's a pretty great.

spacer.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

are you using a midi sax?  the swam sax is great.  i use a roland aerophone. The controls on the Aerophone are great, however the Roland sounds suck, but with Swam it's a pretty great.

spacer.png

I not using the Aero. After spending 50 years to learn guitar and 20 on on keys I don't want to start a new fingering system. 

FunMachine.

I couldn't resist when I heard Costco was selling Aerophones for $200 off.   I've gravitated towards the flugelhorn and other brass sounds.  Some fellow Aerophone users  plug into iPads/laptop because they prefer SWAM or whatever to the onboard Roland Supernatural sounds.    To each their own.

For those like myself who are not enamored with the sound of SWAM saxes--even in professional use they sound gross to me--I recommend as an alternative the sampling/modelling hybrid instruments from Acousticsamples VHorns:

https://www.acousticsamples.net/Bundles/vhornssaxophones

While there's a little bit of thin-ness one usually expects from modelling, I find them to be really fun to play and create dynamic performances out of, and with a timbre that's much more agreeable. Another nice thing is that you can purchase them either in bundles or individual instruments.

They've been expanding their range into traditional orchestral instruments, but are still updating these to be higher quality as well, another huge plus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

For those like myself who are not enamored with the sound of SWAM saxes--even in professional use they sound gross to me--I recommend as an alternative the sampling/modelling hybrid instruments from Acousticsamples VHorns:

https://www.acousticsamples.net/Bundles/vhornssaxophones

Yes those do sound better... but I think I got swam tenor for $19 bucks on a black friday sale or something. V horns are a quite a bit more me thinks. 😉  Swam is still amazing compared to what comes out of the aerophone's internal sounds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D. Gauss said:

wam tenor for $19 bucks

That's a hell of a deal! Acousticsamples has really good Black Friday/holiday discounts as well, but I don't think they go that low. Personally I'd pay the extra for the quality, as well as the interface--the VHorns have great customization to create more realistic mannerisms and space placement. I bought the SWAM Saxes for a project in 2017...I was so happy to use them, until I realized, after about a month of denial, that I actually even preferred my Korg M1 VST sax patches sound. : (

For folks interested in Sax patches, YAMAHA has some decent sax sound on their arranger boards.

The "Sweet! Tenor Sax" patch I used in the two quick demos below sounded amazing when they first came out almost 30 years ago. The TYROS line have added some beautiful "Super Articulation" sax sounds since.