Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Hard Rock vs. Country

For the longest time, I've had a hard time understanding how Robert "Mutt" Lange went from producing Hard Rock for Def Leppard and Bryan Adams, stuff I absolutely love; to Country for Shania Twain, stuff I absolutely abhor.

I'm big on self-reflection and calling out my own BS. So I resisted the urge to throw up and played a couple of Twain and Leppard songs back and forth.

To my utter horror, once you look past the twang, the fiddles and mixing differences, they actually don't sound that much different.

Now I have to face the painful realization for the rest of my life: I might actually be a closet Country fan. :facepalm:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AROIOS said:

For the longest time, I've had a hard time understanding how Robert "Mutt" Lange went from producing Hard Rock for Def Leppard and Bryan Adams, stuff I absolutely love; to Country for Shania Twain, stuff I absolutely abhor.

IIRC, Mr. Lange was married to Ms. Twain when he produced her record.

dB

• Like 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

4 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

dB

That's how I used to delude myself: My producer hero got dragged into Country because of the power of love.

4 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Country is where old Rock and studio musicians retire to it's been going on since the 80's.  

True, Dan Huff immediately comes to mind.

2 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

dB

Mutt saw Shania in a bikini at one of Harold Shed's pool parties and apparently decided to both produce and marry her on the spot!  I doubt he was thinking of Rock vs. Country at the time 😉  I did one record with Mutt and though I initially found his process unbearable as a player, once he let me play B3 on a track, he kept me there and left me to my own choices for the rest of the sessions.  I did learn a lot about Production from the experience.  I was never a fan of his records, but you couldn't deny their success.

• Like 4
  • Cool 2
  • Love 1

I don’t know about the whole bikini thing, but she was smokin' hot back then.  And a great singer too.  I recall she sang at an event at the White House, looking amazing.  And they would flash to Bill Clinton sitting there watching bwaahahaha you knew he was thinking about how to make a move.

On the Mutt production side, one thing I recall he ran Def Leppard’s background vocals through a Marshall stack.

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

45 minutes ago, TommyRude said:

...he ran Def Leppard’s background vocals through a Marshall stack...

Now that's the kind of creative shenanigans I need to venture out with more often.

Lange also wrote and produced this, from "nodders to Irish folk influence" The Corrs.

Similar traits to his other work: namely, you can't move for hooks. Every little vocal inflection/gasp/ad-lib precision-choreographed. 

I remember someone in my youth describing Def Leppard's songwriting process: "Everyone go and write a chorus" i.e. something hooky. They would then use all these choruses as the basis of a song.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

I thought Mutt was a pretty good producer. He could be a little on the self indulgent side when it came to producing Def Leppard, but he was great when he produced and was married to Shania! I wore the shit out of her Greatest Hits CD when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

IIRC their marriage didn't last... something about him having an affair with one of her personal assistants. 

The debate over whether Shania (and Mutt) were appropriately country 30 years ago sounds so quaint now. When the #1 country song of 2023 (which spilled over into being the #1 single of all formats) was done over a trap beat loop, and the top new country artist has more ink than Post Malone and got his start in hip-hop... well things are changing. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

IIRC their marriage didn't last... something about him having an affair with one of her personal assistants. 

The debate over whether Shania (and Mutt) were appropriately country 30 years ago sounds so quaint now. When the #1 country song of 2023 (which spilled over into being the #1 single of all formats) was done over a trap beat loop, and the top new country artist has more ink than Post Malone and got his start in hip-hop... well things are changing. 

No different than the last time I played in a Country band way band when Disco and movie Urban Cowboy were  big so Merle, George Jones, and most the Country artist started pumped Four On the Floor bass drum up in their mixes so all the new wave of Country dance joints would play their records.  Country is a business and goes where the money is. 

• Like 2

Same as it ever was. Take Big Band add guitar, steel and twin fiddles you get Western Swing. 

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It would be far more logical to title this thread "Hard Rock AND Country" or even "Hard Rock OR Country."

Do we say "Smooth Jazz vs Polka"? No, we don't. They are different. Do we say "Ozzie Osborn vs Joni Mitchell"? No, we don't.

Piano vs Trumpet, Wine vs Whiskey, Hot Dogs vs Cabbage, etc. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 2/6/2024 at 7:17 PM, TommyRude said:

I don’t know about the whole bikini thing, but she was smokin' hot back then.  And a great singer too.  I recall she sang at an event at the White House, looking amazing.  And they would flash to Bill Clinton sitting there watching bwaahahaha you knew he was thinking about how to make a move.

• Haha 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

There's a fine line between _____ and country.   Endlessly discussed over the years, jazz included.   Here's an example from the adjacent Michael Omartian thread on how Steely Dan was sort of actually country back in the 70s.  They used him for that sound.   Pay attention to the last line from the master..... "Yeah".  

• Like 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

6 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

There's a fine line between _____ and country.   Endlessly discussed over the years, jazz included.   Here's an example from the adjacent Michael Omartian thread on how Steely Dan was sort of actually country back in the 70s.  They used him for that sound.   Pay attention to the last line from the master..... "Yeah".  

This perfectly echoes the Warren Huart interview of Richard Niles I was watching the other day, in which Richard mentioned about his time at Berklee and Gary Burton's adventure with "Jazz/Country" fusion.