Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No more Drummers! Time for a reliable one

Wow that is good to hear that there are others like me . So we are FINALLY getting ready to start rehearsing and after more and more research , it's just gets more confusing. I was looking into 3rd party loops that are available and I really like the product. I know that I will have to possibly try different approaches and use what is best for us. With that being said, If I go with loops to build the drum track, will I be playing it from software or from a keyboard as wav file? Will it be done in a DAW then converted to a wav? I am truly new at this as we have e performed 90% all live all the time. 

I was reading about Ableton live  and it seems that it was made for live performance,  am I  better off with that?. Now I don't remember if I mentioned all equip.ent available to me, so here is what we have to work with:

Yamaha psr sx900

Roland fantom x6

Roland spd sx

Roland spd30

Studio one artist.

Willing to purchase the 3rd party drum loops from " producers vault" and ez drummer or ableton live of it will make it easier. Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

On 2/6/2024 at 5:32 AM, Montunoman 2 said:

I also vote that you put your arranger keyboard to use.  I also do Cumbia, salsa, merengue, Bachata., reggaeton, norteña, and so on  with a Yamaha sx900. I do a duo with my wife singing, and we add instruments according to the clients budget and space permitted.  The first live instrument I like to add is percussion. I try to hire percussionists that have a nice set up with congas, timbales, and a snare drum/cymbal  ( for norteña and Banda) they play on top of the auto accompaniment and it spices things up nicely, gives a much more lively sound, it looks a lot more convincing from an audience perspective. Maybe  at some points your daughter can re-join you on percussion? Might be a little bit less pressure on her, as most of the heavy lifting is done by the auto accompaniment drums. I should mention Yamaha has some great expansion packs of Latin styles

here’s an example of a duo, and later, adding some horns, percussionists and bassist. 

Wow that is good to hear that there are others like me . So we are FINALLY getting ready to start rehearsing and after more and more research , it's just gets more confusing. I was looking into 3rd party loops that are available and I really like the product. I know that I will have to possibly try different approaches and use what is best for us. With that being said, If I go with loops to build the drum track, will I be playing it from software or from a keyboard as wav file? Will it be done in a DAW then converted to a wav? I am truly new at this as we have e performed 90% all live all the time. 

I was reading about Ableton live  and it seems that it was made for live performance,  am I  better off with that?. Now I don't remember if I mentioned all equip.ent available to me, so here is what we have to work with:

Yamaha psr sx900

Roland fantom x6

Roland spd sx

Roland spd30

Studio one artist.

Willing to purchase the 3rd party drum loops from " producers vault" and ez drummer or ableton live of it will make it easier. Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Yamaha psr sx900

Roland fantom x6

Roland spd sx

Roland spd30

Studio one artist.

Toontrack's song creator would work best because you can hand pick your fills, verses and what not and tailor them for your song. Save the drum track and play it back with the rest of the band. Done. You need to invest in some good Toontrack midi loops packs though.  

A live "finger-drummer" would be the ideal option though. Plenty of good keyboardists who are capable in filling that role, so consider this as an option as well.

• Like 1

Ok GREAT! BUT ... a question, ( so sorry for newb question) "save " it where and play it through what? Keyboard arranger, keyboard w sequencer or software like a leton? Thanks! 

28 minutes ago, Keepitsimple said:

Toontrack's song creator would work best because you can hand pick your fills, verses and what not and tailor them for your song. Save the drum track and play it back with the rest of the band. Done. You need to invest in some good Toontrack midi loops packs though.  

A live "finger-drummer" would be the ideal option though. Plenty of good keyboardists who are capable in filling that role, so consider this as an option as well.

Ok GREAT! BUT ... a question, ( so sorry for newb question) "save " it where and play it through what? Keyboard arranger, keyboard w sequencer or software like a leton? Thanks! 

I obviously am horrible w forums 

4 minutes ago, D- Music said:

I obviously am horrible w forums 

Export. I used the wrong word. Export as WAV file to play it back anywhere you want. Or Export as MIDI to play it back in your DAW (software).

34 minutes ago, Keepitsimple said:

Just now, Keepitsimple said:

Export. I used the wrong word. Export as WAV file to play it back anywhere you want. Or Export as MIDI to play it back in your DAW (software).

Ok so toontrack's ez drummer is what ur referring to correct?

2 minutes ago, Keepitsimple said:

Yup. 

Awesome awesome, and it's safe to assume I can use the 3rd party loops I will be purchasing as full ensemble AND stems? BTW, thank you so so much for your input!

On 2/5/2024 at 4:03 PM, GovernorSilver said:

Sorry, I missed the mention of the Yamaha PSR-SX900, otherwise my response would have been the same as pjd's.

That said I do love the Soft Drummer app (iPhone/iPad) for practicing on instruments other than my Yamaha PSR-SX600.

Hey I'm curious about the SX900 vs. the SX600 arranger boards.  The 900 is over $2K but the 600's can be found on Ebay for around $600.   How do the drum accompaniments compare between these two I wonder?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

1 hour ago, MrVegas said:

Hey I'm curious about the SX900 vs. the SX600 arranger boards.  The 900 is over $2K but the 600's can be found on Ebay for around $600.   How do the drum accompaniments compare between these two I wonder?

When I was shopping and deciding on an arranger board to buy, this video was helpful to me.   

I did not look into the 900's drum sounds as I was confident the 600's drum sounds would be more than adequate for my needs... and so far I've been satisfied with the 600's drum sounds.  That said, once the MIDI data for a song I create on the arranger is imported to the DAW, I feel no obligation to keep the all audio from the arranger.  Once it's all inside a DAW, I can go to any MIDI track in the DAW, and replace drum parts, guitar parts, etc. with a sample library, plugin, a live muso playing the part, or whatever else I want.

18 hours ago, MrVegas said:

The main difference is the number and type of drum kits available. Drum kits and voices trickle down through the Yamaha arranger line: Genos to SX900 to SX700 to SX600.

Then it gets a little complicated. 🙂 Lately, Yamaha have introduced a new percussion-related feature with each generation while trickling down old features. The so-called "Real Drum" kits have trickled down to the SX600. Reduced capability "Revo" drum kits have hit the SX900. The latest addition -- in Genos 2 -- are "Ambient Drums".

The Revo drums employ waveform cycling to avoid robotic-sounding, machine gun repetitive taps/hits. Yamaha update the accompaniment styles (rhythm patterns) to use new kits as they appear. So, the SX900 rhythms should sound less machine-like than the SX600.

I converted the latest Genos 2 R&B styles/patterns to Genos 1. Gotta say, they're quite good and Yamaha must be hiring session people to play them live.

If you're buying used, I recommend the "SX" models as they use the latest Yamaha tone generation tech.

Hope this info helps -- pj

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-hi-hat-happiness/

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos2-si-o-no/