Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A brilliant keytar performance

3 minutes ago, Deskew Tech said:

Yes, he is --- he used to use MainStage and he switched to GP a couple of years ago.

Wow, I would say you know a bit about GP, right? 😅

I am on the fence of buying it. I guess version 5 is not too far away and that bothers me a bit 🤔 (please, note that I am a hobbyist, so I won't monetize it)

I've only been tempted by a keytar (or some kind of remote deal) for one reason, and one only--to have a way to go out front and check sound while I play as I have by far the most mixing experience among the band musicians. :)   Nowadays we pay a sound person at all but the smallest gigs so it's not needed. 

Just not for me, but whatever floats someone's boat is ok by me :)  

• Like 1

Jeffrey (Keytarjeff) is a mentor and dear friend of mine - I actually think of him as a big brother - with whom I’ve had the privilege of studying under. Incredible musician (monster chops), vocalist, songwriter, and even better person.

He actually just sent me some of his performances from NAMM this year that drew the attention and admiration of none other than Greg Phillinganes and Jesus Molina.

• Like 2

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Of course Rick Wakeman is also a great keytar player, uses it on merlin the magician.

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

3 hours ago, Moonglow said:

Jeffrey (Keytarjeff) is a mentor and dear friend of mine - I actually think of him as a big brother - with whom I’ve had the privilege of studying under. Incredible musician (monster chops), vocalist, songwriter, and even better person.

He actually just sent me some of his performances from NAMM this year that drew the attention and admiration of none other than Greg Phillinganes and Jesus Molina.

Yes, Jeff is a fellow NW Indiana keyboardist. Last summer my wife and a friend of ours caught Keytar Jeff live, at Leroy's Hot Stuff - which is  all but a rock institution in this area.  Regrettably I was on another gig, but Jeff was in top form that night. 

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

12 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Wow, I would say you know a bit about GP, right? 😅

I am on the fence of buying it. I guess version 5 is not too far away and that bothers me a bit 🤔 (please, note that I am a hobbyist, so I won't monetize it)

Why would a new version coming out bother you?

Dr. David Jameson

Co-founder, Deskew Technologies,

Own The Stage®

https://gigperformer.com

5 hours ago, Deskew Tech said:

Why would a new version coming out bother you?

I looked at the upgrade price from previous versions, and you save just 30% from the full price. And, knowing me, I would like to have the latest one, so the expense would be increased too much for my liking. Again, this is a hobby project for me, with no economic return, so I want to keep it as cheap as possible 😉

Hope you understand my point 🙏🏻

5 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

I looked at the upgrade price from previous versions, and you save just 30% from the full price. And, knowing me, I would like to have the latest one, so the expense would be increased too much for my liking. Again, this is a hobby project for me, with no economic return, so I want to keep it as cheap as possible 😉

Hope you understand my point 🙏🏻

No - that's not correct - don't confuse the current upgrade pricing from GP3 to GP4 with the cost when GP4 was first released. GP4 has been out for almost three years so that current upgrade pricing only applies to customers who bought GP3 a long time ago and never upgraded. If they had bought GP3 within 3 months before the GP4 release, they would have gotten GP4  (along with all updates to date) for free. Otherwise, within the first year or so, the upgrade price was nominal (I forget exactly but somewhere around $30). I think we've done a great job providing tremendous value for the price we charge.

That said, we understand totally that many users just like to "dabble" and in such cases the value may not be there for them.

• Thanks 1

Dr. David Jameson

Co-founder, Deskew Technologies,

Own The Stage®

https://gigperformer.com

22 hours ago, dglcomp said:

Of course Rick Wakeman is also a great keytar player, uses it on merlin the magician.

Live music directors are the absolute worst. 

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

4 hours ago, Deskew Tech said:

No - that's not correct - don't confuse the current upgrade pricing from GP3 to GP4 with the cost when GP4 was first released. GP4 has been out for almost three years so that current upgrade pricing only applies to customers who bought GP3 a long time ago and never upgraded. If they had bought GP3 within 3 months before the GP4 release, they would have gotten GP4  (along with all updates to date) for free. Otherwise, within the first year or so, the upgrade price was nominal (I forget exactly but somewhere around $30). I think we've done a great job providing tremendous value for the price we charge.

That said, we understand totally that many users just like to "dabble" and in such cases the value may not be there for them.

OK, this is good news!. Sorry for the confusion, I was not aware of that former upgrade option. Being that way, I am more than happy to get into GP ASAP 👍🏻

A really good sense of technique and musical taste elevate keytar performance out of the realm of silly gimmickry and into real musicianship. I first got into keytars because they were designed to pack a lot of control features into a very small space, in a keyboard that could live around your neck while you moved around your rig. And they are fun to play on stage, so you're not stuck in one place. But I could never play like this, that's for damn sure. 

• Like 1

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

this guy keytarjeff - amazing expressive playing!  I’d love to see him whip out some solos using more synthesizer solo sounds (v. the heavy metal lead guitar sounds).  I think it might be amazing, and he could use all the same techniques with the pitch ribbon, mod wheel et al.

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud