Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil K2061 61-note synth!

1 minute ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I believe @Dave Weiser said it is the same as the K2700.

Yeah remember that too, still be interesting to see what they end up with, there's different grades of TP/40, L M etc. 

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

46 minutes ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Super excited about this! I would love a 61-note Kurzweil for certain situations.

100%  I've been looking at adding a 61 note board to compliment my K2700 and was thinking maybe a PC361, or other 'older' model Kurz.  This would def be a potential option.  As I  dive deeper into VAST programing, I'm really impressed with what can be achieved.  It's like FM in that at first sight it is daunting, but after learning the architecture, it's quite logical.

7 minutes ago, Radagast said:

When are they going to show us the price?  Or is this vapoware?

NAMM 2025 ?

(Or Summer NAMM now in a cpl of days?)

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

2 hours ago, Radagast said:

When are they going to show us the price?  Or is this vapoware?

Should be soon.  When the PC4 was announced, if I remember right, it took about a 5 or 6 months before the price was set.

I got mine soon after, but hounded them mercilessly to get it.  🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Is this a hint that the firmware for the sound engine is in Release Candidate state?

I believe the firmware is already very stable if you can synthesize and sequence these kinds of tracks on-board. Let's remember that this is of the same family as PC4 and K2700, so the engine should be similar, firmware too, minus managing pads and anything related to the USB interface.

Do we get a surprise addition inside for launch?

So far, it looks like they really are positioning it more for electronica than the usual acoustic & orchestral orientation, so Dave's feedback is confirmed.

Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX, Roland: JX-3P, JX-8P, Korg: Polysix, DW-8000, Alesis Micron, DIY Analogue Modular

8 hours ago, CyberGene said:

What’s with the wobbly VHS effect used in most tracks? 🧐

It's probably someone's idea of how vintage analogues sound or tape, or someone who heard too much Boards of Canada. It may be overdone. I'd knock off high-frequencies, especially for drums in the mix too.

Overall, these are really nice demos: they do provide a new perspective of V.A.S.T. capabilities.

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX, Roland: JX-3P, JX-8P, Korg: Polysix, DW-8000, Alesis Micron, DIY Analogue Modular

6 hours ago, Radagast said:

When are they going to show us the price?  Or is this vaporware?

Not vaporware: it's been exposed at a show recently in prototype form, and it's in the news section of the official website. One estimated launch time we hear from Dave is fall.

I expect the price to be greater than that of a PC4-7.

Who's getting one?

10 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Super excited about this! I would love a 61-note Kurzweil for certain situations.

Synth action with Dynamic V.A.S.T. + KVA + FM + more powerful KDFX is going to make for a fantastic 'synth'.

Nowadays, I think of it as a synth-building and effect-building platform more than just a synth.

felis over at GS makes some very interesting observations.

hey've got a major change to their site under 'pro keyboards:
https://kurzweil.com/workstation_synthesizers/

Only two keyboards show - K2700 and PC4.
The PC4-7, PC4 SE, and all the Stage Pianos are gone.
They're listed under 'Legacy Products' now: https://kurzweil.com/legacy/

PC4-7 is already 'Legacy'... Could there be some new features?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YashN said:

felis over at GD makes some very interesting observations.

PC4-7 is already 'Legacy'... Could there be some new features?

Hmm, great.... So let's hope this means there will be a 2076/2073 then....

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

55 minutes ago, YashN said:

....PC4-7 is already 'Legacy'... Could there be some new features?

I'm so glad I got my PC4-7's when I did.  I wasn't expecting this at all.

They're pretty much almost perfect for what I was looking for.

I'm going to have to keep my eyes closed to what's coming down the pike though.    🤣

Maybe they'll complete the K line - 88/76/61.

Can't help but wonder what's going to happen to the PC line though.

I thought it was doing well, but maybe plastic, light weight, external power supply,

lower cost, and the keybed weren't what people wanted?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, felis said:

Can't help but wonder what's going to happen to the PC line though.

I believe 'Legacy' means that there will be no more production and no more OS updates.

PC4 is still current though.

23 minutes ago, YashN said:

I believe 'Legacy' means that there will be no more production and no more OS updates.

PC4 is still current though.

If the PC4 is still in production then they should still be doing OS updates for it, and they're the same for the PC4-7.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

4 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

If the PC4 is still in production then they should still be doing OS updates for it, and they're the same for the PC4-7.

Probably there's a strategic reason, as there's for everything when it comes to product marketing, I guess we'll find out soon enough...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

3 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

Probably there's a strategic reason, as there's for everything when it comes to product marketing, I guess we'll find out soon enough...

I'm just hoping they come out with an improvement to the PC4-7, at the same weight, for not much more money. And it really should have an audio interface. I would take that over an internal power supply in a second, if that's the choice.

• Like 4

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

19 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

I'm just hoping they come out with an improvement to the PC4-7, at the same weight, for not much more money. And it really should have an audio interface. I would take that over an internal power supply in a second, if that's the choice.

I'd be really pleased if they announced a 73/76 key semi weighted machine too, I was very close to grab what I believe was the last new Forte 7 in Europe a couple of months ago, but decided to sit this coming release out as I'm not in a hurry... Worst case I go 88 but I don't need those extra keys...

• Like 2

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

3 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

That’s what I’m hoping for too. 
Didn’t get the PC4-7 as I already had and still love the PC4 big mama. 

Kind of a conundrum for Kurzweil. 

If they come out with a 76 keyboard that has an audio interface would they call it a PC or a K?

How about if it has a metal case, or a Fatar keybed? 

Would pads make it a K, or would it be an added feature to a PC. Same could be said for a built in ribbon.

All of this would also apply to 61 keys too.

Seems like they're getting things all jumbled up.

Maybe time will tell.

5 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Normally, it should be the same and usable, but then, why put PC4-7 in Legacy?

None of the previous Legacy Keyboards have ever had O.S. updates nor Objects updates once they reached that status.

Maybe it's simply that the PC4-7 didn't sell enough. Perhaps they'll just standardise on that new Indutrial Metal look.

1 hour ago, felis said:

Seems like they're getting things all jumbled up.

Not sure it's jumbled up: it's just reclaiming the 'K' denomination. 'PC' is supposed to be Performance Controllers originally.

3 minutes ago, YashN said:

Normally, it should be the same and usable, but then, why put PC4-7 in Legacy?

None of the previous Legacy Keyboards have ever had O.S. updates nor Objects updates once they reached that status.

Maybe it's simply that the PC4-7 didn't sell enough. Perhaps they'll just standardise on that new Indutrial Metal look.

Or it actually did sell enough, and both resellers and Kurzweil are out of stock, and before releasing the new series they want to exhaust all stock globally of the PC4-8 too...

Not an uncommon strategy, anyone who knows if the PC4-8 is still available at the big dealers, anything that could indicate that they're sitting on stock?

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

8 hours ago, YashN said:

Not sure it's jumbled up: it's just reclaiming the 'K' denomination. 'PC' is supposed to be Performance Controllers originally.

My point was - what differentiates between the two of them?

7 minutes ago, felis said:

My point was - what differentiates between the two of them?

Between K2700 and PC4-8 very little, mainly the keybed Fatar vs Medeli, the K2700 has a built in audio interface, and some insignificant discrepancies in memory and sample related specs.

I guess PC4 was a logical successor to the PC3 and targeted at live musicians, while the K2700 with it's full estate (less portable) and including audio interface and drum pads, was targeting the music production segment.

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

41 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

Between K2700 and PC4-8 very little, mainly the keybed Fatar vs Medeli, the K2700 has a built in audio interface, and some insignificant discrepancies in memory and sample related specs.

and programmable pads.

Harder shell.

22 minutes ago, YashN said:

and programmable pads.

Harder shell.

Yeah they, pads, comes later in the text :) I would assume the harder shell has to do with something constructional, like the stability of the machine with the keybed or something, as cost is of course always a parameter and includes every piece of a machine.

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -