Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We Belong "Lead' sound (Benatar)

I'm trying to figure out the "lead" sound in the chorus of We Belong by Pat Benatar (1984). It takes place for the first time around the 40 second mark of the video below. I know I've heard the lead sound multiple times (in other songs), but I just can't place it / figure out how to get started wtih it.

I've gotten the plucked sound figured out pretty well.  

Official Video

Any ideas? 

TIA

15 hours ago, Pat Azzarello said:

I'm trying to figure out the "lead" sound in the chorus of We Belong by Pat Benatar (1984). It takes place for the first time around the 40 second mark of the video below. I know I've heard the lead sound multiple times (in other songs), but I just can't place it / figure out how to get started wtih it.

I've gotten the plucked sound figured out pretty well.  

Official Video

Any ideas? 

TIA

watch the movie Step Brothers, they figured it out ....😀

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I just listened to a short intro that Neal Giraldo gave to that song in a live duo show. He describes how he set up the song with "a keyboard and a Lexicon Super PrimeTime" - presumably for the multi-tap delay.  But he (mistakenly?) says it was all in 1985, which suggests to me DX7 with a lot of treatments and effects is a likely suspect.

To my old ears, that little "lead" sound reminds me of one of the 32 original DX7 presets we all had back in the 80's. Maybe with judicious pitch bend and ambience it gets you close?

• Like 1