Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music production desks

My setup is a Numa X 73 piano/controller, a Dell laptop with DAW, a 27" monitor screen and smallish speakers to be determined.  I want one of those setups where the keyboard controller sits a little on the low side and can be pushed in and out of the way easily.  The "desktop" area where the laptop keyboard and mouse are easily accessible.  

In the past I have seen ultra-expensive versions of these desks but my budget is less than a thousand if possible.

Any suggestions?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

I've been shopping to setup a audio desk in another room of my apartment so been checking out desk.   If you want a keyboard tray under the desk your options are limited.  Also need to check if the tray will fit your keyboard some the opening isn't that tall so many boards won't fit and finding ones for 88 key controller are even harder.   For myself I'm thinking of just getting a keyboard stand and just put it next to the desk and have a small MIDI controller to won't take much deskspace.  

Some are making their own setup with two drawer units like the Ikea Alex drawers and then buy just a desktop or just a sheet of plywood cut to size you want.   Then some places sell keyboard tray you can attach to a desktop.  A lot of way to go buying drawers and a finish desktop. 

Link to Ikea Alex:   https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/alex-series-47147/

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

This is exactly what I did.  I couldn’t find a decent quality (ie. not entirely chipboard) table at a reasonable price and measurements for both desk work and piano playing.  

The top of the white keys on my acoustic piano are 28.5” off the ground.  This would be ideal for seated playing.  But if I couldn’t match it I’d rather a tad lower than higher for wrist position. 

Most tables and office desks have their tops at 29” off the floor. 

The desk I found was mostly metal build with just the table top surface made of chip board.  The top is at 29”.  The bottom of its lip is at 28.5”.  

I placed my CP88 on the Plixio stand (no casters, just the plastic glides) the top of its white keys are 26 1/4” off the ground.  And it slides no problem on the floor for when I am working at the piano keyboar.  Or I have to get other things done when I need just the desk. 

IMG_0841.thumb.jpeg.5de199d2f4d2a83755055dbec9c4112c.jpeg

side note - I also got a hydraulic arm for my computer monitor.  I find when the piano is out I want it closer. And when writing or typing I need it further away. 

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

I did during the initial days of COVID after getting so tired of making tracks sitting with my laptop on my bed. 😅 Has been working great for me for 4 years. I really appreciate the more modular setup too, as opposed to the keyboard desk being "glued" to the rest of the desk.

I can't remember which office supply store I bought my stuff from, but I'm using a five foot table (30" x 60") with additional wheels and the keyboard on a rolling stand fits under it. I also have a Kensington (QWERTY) keyboard tray that attaches with its own clamps that I switch when I'm doing that kind of stuff.

I think someone here shared this video in another thread and that's where I got the idea, and added the wheels.

P.S. As far as smallish speakers, I recently purchased Kali IN-UNF which can connect via TRS or USB-C among one or two other methods and the system sounds fantastic. It's based on the other models of their Project Independence series but the low end comes from the center unit which can be put behind your computer, and you point the 5" speakers at your head from the desk. There are a good bunch of glowing reviews of this system online and I agree.

• Like 4

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I almost bought one of these German-made desks, though they are likely a hardwood veneer over MDF, as D.Gauss suggests:

Glorious Sound Desk

Another option is to scour your local Craigslist for studio gear.  There's usually lots available near me, but I have the advantage of living near L.A. where studios are opening up and closing down all the time.

Craigslist: Studio Desks

The option I elected ultimately, was to contract with a local craftsman to add a second tier and lower keyboard drawer to a sturdy desk I already owned.  And if you already have something that you like and fits your existing space, having something built custom may not actually be more expensive that purchasing something new.

For example:

My desk: Jaxon L-Shaped Desk

My contractor: DL AudioWorks

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

I’ve been very happy with my RAB Audio Pro Rak 88 for several years now - 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProRak88B--rab-audio-prorak-88-black

IMG_4161.jpeg

• Like 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

This is the desk I ended up ordering, which was the smallest depth / cheapest (around $1500 total delivered from Spain to Los Angeles) I could find that had 3 levels (2x sliding) and could accommodate a full size / heavy 88-key keyboard:

https://audiohousing.com/products/compact-88?variant=42032496083106 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Keyboard: Nord Piano 4

Guitar: Seagull S6 Original 2008

4 hours ago, schmalex said:

This is the desk I ended up ordering, which was the smallest depth / cheapest (around $1500 total delivered from Spain to Los Angeles) I could find that had 3 levels (2x sliding) and could accommodate a full size / heavy 88-key keyboard:

https://audiohousing.com/products/compact-88?variant=42032496083106 

spacer.png

Floor to 88k stand is 25.4", so the top of the white keys would be about right for an acoustic piano.  👍

The middle tier is between 31-32" off the ground which is a little high compared to the standard 29" - solvable with a height adjustable seat.    

The top tier is 36.2" off the ground, which is pretty high for an iMac or any computer monitor.  Correctable by drilling a hole for a pneumatic arm with VESA mount for your display. 

spacer.png  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

48 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

The top tier is 36.2" off the ground, which is pretty high for an iMac or any computer monitor.  Correctable by drilling a hole for a pneumatic arm with VESA mount for your display. 

Yes you have to be careful about the ergonomics of your desk. Mine was too high, causing me to look up instead of straight ahead. My neck is much better now that I ditched the upper tier. My iMac and monitors sit on two 5 space 19” racks. 

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I have this desk 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_combodesk_designed_by_zaor.htm

Draw can fit a 61 note keyboard or be used for the computer keyboard and mouse. The top desk is just about wide enough to fit my 88 note Fantom 08, with a slight overhang each side. The raised shelf at the back hold my 38" ultra wide screen and a pair of iLoud micro monitors.

It has removable panels that allow it to hold racks. It also has a shelf at the back which is handy for power supplies, USB hubs and so on. Someone even thought about cables so there are holes to pass them through the back panel too. 

Whilst it is shipped flat pack, it is well designed and has proper metal bolts to hold it together. It is the most solid bit of flat pack furniture I have ever had. 

Only minor gripe is that the keyboard drawer doesn't lock in position. If anyone has any clever solutions for this, please share. 

I have an arrangement similar to what other described: a table fixed to the wall (60 cm depth), 32" with a wall support, monitor fixed too to the wall,

and below a keyboard on a K&M 11810. No wheels, i just move it (the floor do not need special attention).

A word of caution: initially i used a taller keyboard support, and the table was around 4/5 cm higher. I used this set up as my office for working from home, in the Covid times and i still do three days a week. After a few month, i started develop pain in both shoulders, slowly growing with time.

After my doctor was a tendonitis or bursitis. Luckely in the same period i got some training on workplace ergonomic in my job, and i realised what was the problem. I bought a better, higher seat, and changed the keyboard support, lowering the table, and the pain went away.

So, if you use the studio many hours a day, take care that it is correctly dimensioned, especially concerning the height of the chair and table.

Maurizio

• Like 2

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

To piggyback on a few ideas already posted,  here's what I'm doing with a few future planned enhancements:  *enhance*  *enhance* (sorry just watched Super Troopers again)

- get a manual crank standing desk, maybe just the legs (because I don't care for most of the tops).  Manual crank because I don't plan to be constantly having it go up and down, I just need a way to get it higher than a regular desk.
- use a keyboard stand like that Z or a K&M omega, or Knox etc (something with open space under it) to have the keyboard slide in and out from under the desk
- movable arm for monitor

- put speakers on stands  so I don't need a riser on the desk

I don't yet have the standing desk, so what I did was buy some very stable risers for my current one (meant primarily for beds I think) that I put under each leg, mine are 4 inches high.   I'm tall and my chair is cranked up high to max, plus if I want to put a keyboard under there it's an issue.   Most desks are too short for me.

My plan for a desktop is to get a butcher block or other solid wood top from Lowe's, and just screw it to the standing desk leg.   I really want to avoid the heavy and bulky particle board desks, I much prefer the simplicity of just the two legs on the side and the desktop.  I don't want any drawers or racks.  I do have one piece of rack gear (an old Crown amp powering my equally old KRK speakers!) but it just sits up on the desk, under a 2-shelf riser probably made for monitors but which I use also to hide a usb hub and to hold my interface.

One nice little quality of life addition is to get a few headphone hanger clamps.  I have them in a couple spots as I have various headphones (one headset for work) in there, clamped onto the desk or onto some shelves behind me.