Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lightweight weighted keyboard controller

I'm looking for a keyboard controller for DAW purposes and it has to be in the low 30 pound range.  There is a StudioLogic 73 that looks nice but it's controller functionality looks pretty limited.  The Arturia KeyLab 88 looks powerful and is around 32 pounds.  

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

I like the Studiologic SL 73, although I know not everybody enjoys the Fatar TP 100 LR action.  As you mentioned, the controller features are pretty slim, though.  I’ve been thinking of adding a separate box with sliders and knobs.  Maybe Studiologic’s Mixface.

The Roland RD88 is weighted and pretty light @13.5kg, with some DAW functionality. You can assign the knobs as controllers and it has a built in USB audio interface. It also has built in Mainstage support if you use Macs. I like it because for a weighted action it's quite compact in length and depth wise by making it a bit higher.

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

For that weight and controller functionality, the two that come to mind that haven't been mentioned are a Roland such as the RD88, or the Casio PX5S. There's also the Numa X 88, all of these are around or below 30 lbs.

If you were open to supplementing the keyboard with an additional control surface, that would open up some more options, such as the Kawai ES120.

The PX5S doesn’t even has an expression pedal jack  The action feels fine. Doesn’t Casio offer that action is a board that has better control features now?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

8 hours ago, The Real MC said:

You can't use "piano action" and "lightweight" together.

One refers to the action and the other to the travel weight. It’s pretty obvious to me but I’m not a native English speaker, so might be missing some grammar related issue 🧐

With the above in mind, there are hammer-action controllers and pianos that are within the 15kg limit (if I remember correctly that 1kg = 2 pounds).

I’d suggest a Numa X Piano 73 or 88. They are both lightweight and have the newest Fatar TP110 hammer action that is IMO much better than the TP100/LR in the SL73. They have USB audio interface with USB-audio, so with one cable to either an iPad or a computer you can have a well-integrated rig. Plus, they have internal sounds, 4-channel audio input/mixer, aftertouch, 3 separate pedal inputs, etc. Maybe not the most advanced MIDI-controllers out there with “only” 4-zones but it’s still among the best there and I’m wondering why would one need more than that? Or why is that needed at all when you have your iPad or computer where you can route everything even when using a dummy single-channel MIDI keyboard?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrVegas said:

it's controller functionality looks pretty limited

What controller functions do you need? My "go-to" answer for this kind of question is Casio PX5S - you can mitigate the lack of expression input by using a USB expression pedal, or adapter box. (No aftertouch though - that might be lacking on many of the lightweight hammer-action boards).

Cheers, Mike.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, CyberGene said:

One refers to the action and the other to the travel weight. It’s pretty obvious to me but I’m not a native English speaker, so might be missing some grammar related issue 🧐

With the above in mind, there are hammer-action controllers and pianos that are within the 15kg limit (if I remember correctly that 1kg = 2 pounds).

I’d suggest a Numa X Piano 73 or 88. They are both lightweight and have the newest Fatar TP110 hammer action that is IMO much better than the TP100/LR in the SL73. They have USB audio interface with USB-audio, so with one cable to either an iPad or a computer you can have a well-integrated rig. Plus, they have internal sounds, 4-channel audio input/mixer, etc. Maybe not the most advanced MIDI-controllers out there with “only” 4-zones but I’m wondering why would one need more than that? Or why is that needed at all when you have your iPad or computer where you can route everything even when using a dummy single-channel MIDI keyboard?

I second the numa xpiano recommendation. Very nice hammer action in a very lightweight board. And it offers any needed quantity of controllers with 4 knobs, aftertouch, control pedal, mod wheel and joystick all of which are easily programmable and can be stored in any needed number of presets with different cc assignments. 

• Like 2

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

PC4 is pretty cool.  I bought one as a lighter weight 88.   pedal IO for 2 CC pedals and 2 foot switches ( one is damper pedal).  But it is a full blown workstation and a couple of grand.  The action is a slow if you intend to break land speed shred speed records.

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I was scrolling thru Sweetwater and was kind of attracted to that Numa X piano 73 but I wasn't sure it could be used as a controller, it seemed more like a stand-alone piano type keyboard.

By the way, I had a Native Instruments S88 controller keyboard a little over a year ago and I thought the action was VERY STIFF.  I don't have the strongest piano hands.  I am looking for action that is easier to play.  My Yamaha MOXF8 has a really nice feel to it.