Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1964 Hammond A 100/ missing tones/ other organ forums

mrk7421

I posted about getting this 1964 A 100 about a month ago. It has several broken keys and possibly some missing tones. The good thing is that what is there sounds good....and it looks like it had fairly low mileage.  I was registered with the Organ Forum a while back but wouldn't you know it....that was on a different computer and I can't remember my password. I am also interested in other organ forums and also detailed and extensive videos on Hammond tonewheel repair. 

• 1 month later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a TREK part. I can't remember the part number. The Facebook Hammond Technicians page is a good place to start. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The only thing that will fix the missing tones is a busbar lube job and that can and should only be done by a trained professional technician. 

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

• 2 weeks later...

Missing tones could be a symptom of a much deeper problem, namely the dreaded foam goo. Around 1962, Hammond switch from using felt to keep dust out of the manuals to foam and over time that foam degrades and turns into an acidic goo that eats away the special resistive wires that route the tones to the contacts. This must be removed in all post 1962 organs. It will only get worse if that's indeed what is happening here.

It could also be a stuck tonewheel, bad solder joint, bad pickup, or any number of other issues. But if it's a '64 and has never been de-foamed, you might be in for trouble.