Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trying to add NORD Wave 2 to my rig

I use a NORD Stage 2 as the centre piece of my rig.   I'm trying to add a NORD Wave 2 as a top layer keyboard, but use my Yamaha FC-7 volume pedal to control the Wave 2 volume as well using MIDI from the Stage 2.  I've done this with an Electro 3 no problem,  but the Wave 2 doesn't want to respond to CC#11.  I can see the little MIDI light flashing on the Wave 2 like it's receiving information, but it's not actually doing anything I can hear.  Sustain pedal #CC 64 works fine.    I suppose CC#7 for volume might be an option, or CC#3 Program Level on the Wave 2.

Has anyone ventured down a MIDI path like this?  I have MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus to program for this scenario if necessary.

Appreciate any input.  Thank you.

Are you plugging the FC7 into the Stage 2? Thinking it through, the pedal can do one of two things

- Organ expression (Nord uses CC#4 for that from memory)

- Morph (which is a different animal altogether, and doesn't have a direct relationship to MIDI).

Now what you can do on the Stage 2 is:

1. Use an Extern section (are you doing that already?)

2. Configure the "parameter" to CC#11 (or 7, or 3)

3. Set up a morph for the extern parameter, controlled by the pedal. So the parameter is 0 when the pedal is fully back, and 127 when all the way forward.

Cheers, Mike.

3 hours ago, johnchop said:

Is the pedal connected to the Wave or the Stage?

on the Wave’s system menu, what is the control pedal type and function (func) set to?

Pedal is connected to the Stage2 Control pedal input.  On the Wave’s system menu, it’s set at Yamaha FC7, volume. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Are you plugging the FC7 into the Stage 2? Thinking it through, the pedal can do one of two things

- Organ expression (Nord uses CC#4 for that from memory)

- Morph (which is a different animal altogether, and doesn't have a direct relationship to MIDI).

Now what you can do on the Stage 2 is:

1. Use an Extern section (are you doing that already?)

2. Configure the "parameter" to CC#11 (or 7, or 3)

3. Set up a morph for the extern parameter, controlled by the pedal. So the parameter is 0 when the pedal is fully back, and 127 when all the way forward.

Cheers, Mike.

This is a brain teaser for sure Mike. I’m going to try your idea using the external section and see where that gets me. Stay tuned. 

Ok Mike.  I have some success!   Using the External Section (I have set the Midi Ch to 4 for the Ext. Sect. and the Wave 2)  and using the Morph Control Pedal feature, I am able to control the Wave 2 Volume from 0-127.   Sustain too.  Yes!   Thank you.   

My only issue at the moment is to filter out NOTE ON-OFF information using a Midi Solutions black box, as at the moment when I play the Stage2 keyboard.... it triggers sounds on the Wave 2.  I'm sure this can be accomplished with my Midi Solutions ROUTER box.

Thank you so much Mike & John for your suggestions.  I won't be able to get back to this scenario for a couple days due to gigs and Xmas gatherings, but I'm well on the way I think.   Thanks again!!!

Steve

3 hours ago, Steve Beach said:

Ok Mike.  I have some success!   Using the External Section (I have set the Midi Ch to 4 for the Ext. Sect. and the Wave 2)  and using the Morph Control Pedal feature, I am able to control the Wave 2 Volume from 0-127.   Sustain too.  Yes!   Thank you.   

My only issue at the moment is to filter out NOTE ON-OFF information using a Midi Solutions black box, as at the moment when I play the Stage2 keyboard.... it triggers sounds on the Wave 2.  I'm sure this can be accomplished with my Midi Solutions ROUTER box.

Thank you so much Mike & John for your suggestions.  I won't be able to get back to this scenario for a couple days due to gigs and Xmas gatherings, but I'm well on the way I think.   Thanks again!!!

Steve

Press the kb zone select multiple times until all 3 leds are off and the zone still on

No need for an external midi box

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jinkings said:

Press the kb zone select multiple times until all 3 leds are off and the zone still on

18 hours ago, Jinkings said:

I have found this is NOT TRUE.  When I turn off the KB zones on the Stage 2 external zones, the morph volume control no longer works for the Wave 2 on Midi Ch. 4.  So I'll have to use my eternal midi box to filter out note ON/OFF information.  Not a biggy.   

Everything is working to my satisfaction.  I don't know how to make the External section ON with no zones selected.   As soon as no zones are on, the volume morphing no longer works.   I'm just filtering out NOTE ON/OFF information with my Midi Solutions ROUTER BOX.   All is good!!!

Thank you everyone for your input.   You've been a great help.  (-:

I use this all the time.  Sometimes I play the sounds from the W2 from the NS3 keyboard, sometimes I don't. I disable the note-ons as shown in the video. 

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre