Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A different take on Nords from lifelong amateur

danskeys

21 hours ago, danskeys said:

I have tried some software (Numa X Player and Logic Pro) instruments and no matter what I did to reduce latency (changing buffer sizes, etc.), I could always feel the disconnect between the keyboard and the software.  Are there any computer based instruments that have latency nearly as low as a hardware keyboard, or close enough for those sensitive to latency?

For older boards, as long as you have a reasonable interface (not some no name Chinese box from Amazon), latency should not be an issue. Newer boards with class compliant USB drivers still need dedicated ASIO drivers on Windows. MacOS users may be able to confirm if they play practically latency free without a dedicated interface, I don't know. 

Regarding the virtual instruments, I notice a similar disconnect on a few but most feel fine. There is a lot of better quality stuff out there than what you mention. Try a free trial of some other libraries. The VSL pianos are very good. Some people really like Pianoteq. Plenty of others too. Personally I don't notice a difference in feel between my keyboards onboard sounds or using it with Keyscape on my PC. 

17 hours ago, CEB said:

The Stage wouldn't work for my gig unless I used some 3rd party application for set list and patch management.  The interface isn't geared for my kind of gigging.   That is irrelevant with Korg SetList. 

Yes, they really need to put the setlist function BACK into the Stage 4, but until then I can control my setlist from Mainstage and trigger all the Nord prgm changes from there.

Fortunately the Nord simplicity of use transfers over to it's ability to play well with other midi devices.  I find that a Nord with Mainstage compliments each other exceptionally well. The Nord behaves predictably and it's pianos and hands on Organ controls fill in where Mainstage fails and Mainstage covers for all the other Nord shortcomings in the synth section  (not to say that the Nord synth isn't pretty robust).

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

On 12/6/2023 at 12:23 PM, danskeys said:

All this to say, for some of us, the interface of the Nord Stage is second to none by orders of magnitude.  And that the sounds are simply wonderful, and the build quality is top notch, just makes it all worth the gigantic price tag.  I sit down at the Stage and it just *feels* so good from the moment I press the power button (a very satisfying button, I'll add.)  And yes, I upgraded to the Stage 4 less than a year later.

After a many years playing other companies boards, I finally got to the place where I could splurge on a NS3, and to me it was a revelation. I found myself PLAYING more and scratching my head less.  I don't know that it sounds better, but I sound better because I spend less time fighting the user interface and more time playing.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

34 minutes ago, Ibarch said:

Whilst Nords may be mighty fine instruments...But fixed split points? That does it. I'm out. 

As the late Michael Jackson once sang, "you are not alone". 😁

Fixed split points seem to be a sticking point and Nord doesn't seem to give a f8ck.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

But split point lights are pretty cool but probably too expensive to have 73-88 of them.

I say this about 100 times a year: Mainstage has a BRILLIANT thing called FLOATING SPLIT POINTS that's F-ing genius. I don't know if they have it patented or not but it would sure fix that issue. It looks at the notes you're playing and figures you only have two hands, and which way your current scales are running and it moves the split point to keep your hands playing the same patch.  Really works like a champ and is better than the crossfade thing that Nord currently uses.

21 hours ago, DroptopBroham said:

And for me, I hate the Nord Electro and Stage interfaces with a passion. The sounds are great but the interface is garbage. I had a Nord clonewheel in the past and liked it but am forced to play on an Electro at one rehearsal spot and it is terribly unintuitive. People say that Yamaha is bad but I'd much rather have my MODX+ interface. Not enough to bring it to rehearsal but playing on that Electro I just don't understand why anyone would get one, especially considering the price.

Paul mentions the CK and for something that does what the Stage and Electro do, the CK interface slays. The CK61 does feel cheap in the keys by the 88 is solid but so easy to use, only the organs are a let down but usability is leagues ahead of what Nord is doing. I also us a Stage regularly when sitting in and it's sad too.

I haven't had the opportunity to play with a YC but honestly the CK seems even better in terms of ease of use. If Yamaha could tighten up the B3 and Leslie and Chorus I would be ecstatic to leave the Mojo at home and gig on one board.

This is a baffling comment to me. I have used Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Sequential, UDO, Kurzweil, and yes I am a long time Nord user... and if we are talking Stage pianos or synths, or workstations... I cannot think of a simpler system than what is on the Electro, now copied nearly exactly, by Yamaha with the YC series. 

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

1 hour ago, danskeys said:

I keep trying other APs from Nord's library.  But I just keep coming back to the White Grand.  I watched one prominent YouTuber's look of disgust when he auditioned the White Grand in his review of one of the more recent Nords.  What I love about the character of the sound, he heard as massive imperfection.  To each their own!  As someone pointed out above, this is why there are so many other successful keyboards.  We have choices, and to each, their own.

It’s my standard piano as well. I own a Kawai grand piano. The sound is familiar and so, I think that has a lot to do with it. The uprights get a lot of use in band context. Huge bass is rarely an asset in that context. 

Not to mention it's a single button push to use the bright filter on the piano or only two switch actions to chop the bottom off the EQ.

I think the Bright Filter doesn't really remove enough of the low end on some stuff where it conflicts with the bass player.

On 12/6/2023 at 1:23 PM, danskeys said:

A different perspective on the Nord Stage 4 from an aging, lifelong musician

I agree with a lot of what you wrote.  I came from workstation race, I had to have all that power, channels and EFX processing. They are wonderful synths but these manufacturers sure make you put the "work" into their workstation. Stage 4 was the first synth that I've bought in a very long time that was fun to use and pleasure to play. 

I know they're terrific keyboards, but I can't stand them because they're red.

I'm not kidding! I know, I know........

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

7 minutes ago, kpl1228 said:

No apologies necessary (at all) to anyone.  It was their decision and I have mine.
It's their 'ridiculous pricing meets actual output' well before that problem though.

1 hour ago, JoJoB3 said:

Is any of this a 'different take', though? 
Coming to conclusion of 'lot's of choices / to each their own'?

Most reviews say the Nord Stage is meant for the stage—for live use. And then others sometimesv point out that “it’s also at home in the studio.”  But either way the implication is that if you’re not a professional gigging musician or recording artist, why would you spend the money?

My answer, in a nutshell, is because even if you’re neither of these, the Nords, with virtually no menu diving, might be exactly what some musicians need to crack that crazy nut of complex modern keyboard programming and use.

It has opened up a whole new world of music fun to me to be able to actually manipulate the Stage 4 like a “real” musician. I spent about 30 years playing mostly presets. That’s not how you squeeze all the creative juices. You need to be able to get what’s in your mind out. And the Nord has allowed me to do that. And man, is it fun, and does it FEEL GOOD!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kpl1228 said:

Ditto. A. I don’t want to be a sheep and red screams ‘he has a Nord’, B. I hate the colour, always associated it with cheap keyboards appealing to kids. Shallow maybe, but I like my boards primarily black.

I also dislike ‘quirky’ pitch and mod controls. Roland stick is probably my fave, followed by DX style wheels, and yes, the YC/CP series tries quirky and I don’t really get it. This is something the CK got right.

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Anyone else here don’t give a sh… about the colour? This is like „Nah, Ferrari. Crap car. It is red. Like a toy car for my two year old.“

oh wait. You can get your Ferrari in different colours. Wait, I saw professionally black painted Nords on stage.

I can imagine many reasons why the Nord might not be the right instrument for you, but the colour?

Btw I have a lilac iPhone. Was the cheapest model. 

Don’t feel offended. Just my point of view, and my priorities. Enjoy whatever has the right colour!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ImproKeys said:

Anyone else here don’t give a sh… about the colour? This is like „Nah, Ferrari. Crap car. It is red. Like a toy car for my two year old.“

oh wait. You can get your Ferrari in different colours. Wait, I saw professionally black painted Nords on stage.

I can imagine many reasons why the Nord might not be the right instrument for you, but the colour?

Btw I have a lilac iPhone. Was the cheapest model. 

Don’t feel offended. Just my point of view, and my priorities. Enjoy whatever has the right colour!

Bro, I have no problems with Nord Red. ❤️

But a lilac phone? 😁

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Ditto. A. I don’t want to be a sheep and red screams ‘he has a Nord’, B. I hate the colour, always associated it with cheap keyboards appealing to kids. Shallow maybe, but I like my boards primarily black.

I don't care about color so much as contrast. I dislike most black boards for also having black controls. In sub-optimal light conditions, it just makes the board harder to use. While my preference is a light colored board for the best readability in the widest range of lighting conditions, I'm okay with a dark board that has lighter colored controls and clearly contrasting legends (that aren't too small).

12 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

I also dislike ‘quirky’ pitch and mod controls. Roland stick is probably my fave, followed by DX style wheels, and yes, the YC/CP series tries quirky and I don’t really get it. This is something the CK got right.

Yeah, this has come up a lot, and people just like what they like.

I dislike that Roland stick because of how hard it is to use the modulation axis without also bending the pitch. Joystick is just as bad. Also, both are bad for leaving the Y-axis mod in position... you don't always want it to spring back (Korg has lock buttons for that, but it's an awkward solution for a problem of their own making). To me, modulation that "auto returns" to zero is best implemented via aftertouch. On a LH control, my mod axis might be a tone crossfade, or a filter cutoff, or other such effect that I want to leave in place. Assignable knobs may be able to do these things as well, but lots of board don't have freely assignable knobs. You may be able to use an expression pedal, if your board has enough jacks for an extra expression pedal besides anything you might already be using, and you don't care about having to buy/bring and take the time to set up another thing. All of which is to say... for me, for mod, nothing beats the old fashioned wheel.

For pitch, the things I've liked best are long ribbons (like on my old Yamaha CS-60) and the Nord pitch stick. Everything else seems less visceral and more dainty.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)