Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's see your 70's rig

DaveMcM

On 12/1/2023 at 3:35 PM, ProfD said:

I can also see why there was so much hate for the DX7 too.🤣😎

Great feeling keybed, light and small format, no tuning issues.  

Take the FM Tine Piano out of the equation (that EVERYONE used), and none of the tinny clangorous patches appealed to me.

The tweaking I tried in the store quickly proved to be very unpredictable and the programming interface (single edit slider with menu & LCD) was way inadequate.

I don't hate the DX-7; I just never had a use for it.

1970 was the year which began my musical awareness... because my parents decided to change a city located kinder garden for a country located one (I was 3 Y.O. back then 😉). To arrive there, we took a bus, and the bus driver tuned a music radio station which played pop / rock mainly. And they repeated songs quite a lot from day to day.

I attended that school for two years and definitely shaped my likeness for that kind of music.

I still recall some of the tunes I heard on that bus 😃

“Let’s See Your ‘70s Rig” - I don’t remember taking too many pictures of my rigs back in the day, so since this thread started I have been thinking that maybe I should go down to my basement and reassemble it and take a picture. 😄 Then maybe I would do my ‘80s and ‘90s rigs too.  This thread is just a reminder to me that I haven’t been too good about trading in or selling off old gear. There might have to be a fire sale when I finally decide to move into a home that is going to be more practical for me when I am 75-105 years old. 

17 hours ago, The Real MC said:

Great feeling keybed, light and small format, no tuning issues.  

Light... for its time. It's 30+ lbs for a 61 feels kinda heavy today!

17 hours ago, The Real MC said:

Take the FM Tine Piano out of the equation (that EVERYONE used), and none of the tinny clangorous patches appealed to me.

I didn't care for the EP sound, but it was capable of tons of other "non-clangorous" sounds.

We had a song on vinyl LP we released at the time, which is now a bonus track on our Prufrock CD (hence the video image)... except for bass and drums, almost everything here is DX7. Exceptions: real electric guitar makes a brief appearance at 1:05 and then comes in full at 1:31; and there's real flute starting at 1:45, and it's possible there may be some real acoustic piano in there at some point. I'll also note that the "fake" electric guitar from the DX7 was played through an external guitar effect pedal. Anyway, I like this for showing a bit more range/versatility form the DX7 than people sometimes expect... and I'm pretty sure these are all stock factory patches.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 12/1/2023 at 4:32 PM, zxcvbnm098 said:

Dave, where were you living that you could even find not one but two Mellotrons to buy? Even here in SoCal in the late 70's, I don't remember ever seeing one in a store...and that includes the original GC in Hollywood and then later Goodman Music, which was the keyboard Mecca store in the greater LA area...

I've lived in Cincinnati, Ohio all of my life except for the 5 or so years I worked at Ensoniq in PA. .The first Mellotron I purchased off of a fellow keyboardist in a band called Manitcore who had disbanded. The second one I purchased form a local store called Swallen's. Besides selling home furnishings, appliances, Lawn mowers, etc. they also had a very good audio and musical instrument department. That is also where I purchased my ARP Odyssey (white face and then black face w/PPC). That particular Mellotron was the last in their inventory and was stuck over in a corner gathering dust. They told me it didn't work. I plugged it in and sure enough the capstan would barely turn. So I made a somewhat low offer to take it off their hands. Once I got it home I found that someone had set the voltage selector to 220v. Rotated a little plug and all was good.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

4 minutes ago, DaveMcM said:

I've lived in Cincinnati, Ohio all of my life except for the 5 or so years I worked at Ensoniq in PA. 

I bought my SD1 from Denny Edwards ...

• Like 2

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

33 minutes ago, DaveMcM said:

The second one I purchased form a local store called Swallen's. Besides selling home furnishings, appliances, Lawn mowers, etc. they also had a very good audio and musical instrument department. 

Wow... when I was 14 or 15, I lived in Cinci. My mom would go to the Tri-County shopping Center and drop me at Swallens while she did her shopping. Between that little room in the back with the keyboards and the record department, that place was Heaven to me! I remember there always seemed to be an Odyssey sitting on top of an ARP String Ensemble there, always hooked up, ready to play and no one else ever in there.

• Love 1

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

21 hours ago, jerrythek said:

My first keyboard was actually a Gibson G-102 - the dual manual organ... But I don't have any pictures of that. Had it from 1969 - 1971.

My first keyboard (apart from the acoustic piano I got at age 6) was a dual manual organ as well at age 14 in 1973 - a Yamaha Electone D3. I LOVED the built-in drum machine and bass pedals. I wanted to be a one-boy band and with this I was although it never left my bedroom. I still have it and it still works for the most part. 

• Like 1

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

1 hour ago, mcgoo said:

Wow... when I was 14 or 15, I lived in Cinci. My mom would go to the Tri-County shopping Center and drop me at Swallens while she did her shopping. Between that little room in the back with the keyboards and the record department, that place was Heaven to me! I remember there always seemed to be an Odyssey sitting on top of an ARP String Ensemble there, always hooked up, ready to play and no one else ever in there.

I worked in a music store in Cinci in the early 80s and ran their synth/keys room, but I'm blasted if I can remember the name of it. This was in Northside, and they had a store on the west side too.

• Like 1

Moe

---

This is from early 1980, at a band rehearsal. It's somewhere in Ohio; I was on the back half of an almost year long road gig with a top-40/variety band.

Bottom-to-top: RMI, Rhodes Mk 1 73, Yamaha CS-50. I owned the CS-50, the company owned the rest - including a not-pictured Yamaha YC drawbar organ and Leslie 760.  I also added a CP-70, shortly after that photo was taken. We hauled a lot of gear that year...

281927_148992331845914_8371407_n.jpg

• Like 4

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 1 month later...

Finally found one. This would have been around 1978 or so.

Right hand: Elka Rhapsody on top of a Fender Rhodes Stage on jacked up legs

Left hand: Roland Jupiter 4 on top of Hammond B3 through 147 Leslie

BlackAngus1978.thumb.jpg.e624d1c7888dab33b5e961dad2b9ad7d.jpg

• Like 2

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain