Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for 61 note midi controller with 9 sliders and 16 drum pads with EVEN VELOCITY RESPONSE ON ALL KEYS?

Hi,

I'm looking for a midi controller keyboard with 61 keys, 9 sliders, 16 drum pads and aftertouch etc. I've been using an M-Audio Code61 for a while but the keys aren't particularly even in velocity response so I decided to upgrade and picked up a barely used Arturia KeyLab 61 mk2. I have frustratingly found some keys need to be played a reasonable amount harder to trigger the same velocity. Also, with the Keylab61, you have to press the drum pads pretty hard to get get them to trigger. This means I can't play pianissimo.

Are there any other midi controllers with the specs I want that are better than the Code61 and Arturia Keylab61?

I have a code 61 and have been using it live for almost three years triggering my gemini module, so it sees brass, sax, acoustic piano, EP's, organ, clav, strings, vox on every gig.  I use all 61 notes and have never encountered abnormal velocity on any of the notes, so i know it's not the model since mine is normal.  Perhaps you have a keyboard that needs repair or a general cleaning but the Code DOES produce normalized velocity on all the keys. 200 gigs and not one single problem with it.  If mine were to go tits up I'd confidently buy another as a replacement. Another one I'd consider is the Oxygen Pro 61.  My two cents.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

On 10/29/2023 at 11:50 PM, Delaware Dave said:

I have a code 61 and have been using it live for almost three years triggering my gemini module, so it sees brass, sax, acoustic piano, EP's, organ, clav, strings, vox on every gig.  I use all 61 notes and have never encountered abnormal velocity on any of the notes, so i know it's not the model since mine is normal.  Perhaps you have a keyboard that needs repair or a general cleaning but the Code DOES produce normalized velocity on all the keys. 200 gigs and not one single problem with it.  If mine were to go tits up I'd confidently buy another as a replacement. Another one I'd consider is the Oxygen Pro 61.  My two cents.

This is good to hear though mine definitely has velocity issues. I’ve measured this both within Cubase and with Pianoteq. The Code 61 has been discontinued and I don’t have anyone local that can fix it which means I’m likely going to need to replace it.

On 11/5/2023 at 5:28 PM, dickiefunk said:

This is good to hear though mine definitely has velocity issues. I’ve measured this both within Cubase and with Pianoteq. The Code 61 has been discontinued and I don’t have anyone local that can fix it which means I’m likely going to need to replace it.

i would take it apart and clean the key contacts.  it probably also has the rubber contacts that may have accumulated dirt. i'd try that on the offending keys. 

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

If it's hard to find something that ticks all the boxes, you might be able to find two (or more) combined that do it.  There are key-less controllers (I have the Korg nanokontrol, which frankly is a bit small for my taste, I bought it to use in a live rig years ago).  Same for drum pads.  I'm not sure what's all out there, but it should all work once plugged into usb.  Granted if you are doing this for live especially I can see why you'd want it in one unit!

• Like 1

I also have the Arturia Keylab MkII 61 and I noticed a different velocity curve for the black keys (play louder) compared to the white keys. I am currently following Stokely's suggestion to combine 2 or more controllers.

For a non hammer-action keyboard, I really love the Casio CT-S1. It is has built-in sounds (several are decent), but I use it as a MIDI controller. It is cheap (less than $200 USD) and you can get it in different colors that look great. It also has built-in speakers and an audio-input so you can use it as a "mini-monitor."  Casio offers the CT-S400 for a bit more $ and it includes a pitch-bend wheel (if that is important to you) but alas only in black (looks a bit cheaper compared to the CT-S1 in my opinion).

I also ordered the Studiologic SL Mixface which has 9 faders, knobs, and buttons. It will pair with my iPad via bluetooth. I think it should be illegal to sell a keyboard controller with 8 faders - who hates the 9th drawbar??? 🙂 

You could also use the Akai MPD218 for 16 pads (people seem to like the Akai pads).