Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steinway Disney 100 Edition

OK, but he sure can play.  And it gives one a good idea of how Steinways sound (compared to say, a Yamaha equivalent).  To my ears, the bass and extreme treble have quite different sounds between the different manufacturers.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

3 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

Times are not tough. If you had the money, you'd be hard pressed to have a large selection of new Ds to choose from because they are in such high demand. Bs are more readily available.

Sorry, I should have included a smiley face!  My point was just this:

3 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

That said, this is plain stupid.

4 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

Times are not tough. If you had the money, you'd be hard pressed to have a large selection of new Ds to choose from because they are in such high demand. Bs are more readily available. That said, this is plain stupid. They always seem to use Lang Lang for these type of videos. Probably to make him, and their pianos, appear more accessible to the mainstream pop culture focused public.

My guess is Disney has already ordered a few of these as show pieces in the parks and hotels.  And there are a lot of people who just can’t get enough of Disney. 

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

This is on the lowdown. Wink wink

But i heard there is a Ren & Stimpy editon being touted by one of their compeitors.

Let the cartoon piano wars begin.

😂 they’re featured in Nickelodeon Universe.  Not quite space mountain or pirates of the caribbean.  

I just recalled that Lang Lang recently did a Disney album.  So the tie in is making sense on this Spirio model. I’m certain a special Disney fan would call up Lang Lang’s midi captures and play them back on this player-piano.  Same for displays in Disney locales. 

IMO it looks like a pediatrician's waiting room and they should've done a Fantasia theme instead. But I understand I'm not their target customer. Still, if you own the rights to Fantasia, and you want to make a classy yet whimsical cartoon piano... why pick anything else?

I know Mickey is Disney's signature lick, but this one (to me) looks like they were trying to fool the copyright bots... make him blue, and just a little bit different from the usual iconography, somehow. I get it, that for public spaces, they wanted the branding to be obvious and on point, but then they could've done sorcerer's apprentice. This rendition of Blue Mickey seems almost non-canonical. Even though Disney is involved, this feels like a new interpolation.

As an aside - Steinway and Disney could order some Blue Mickey vinyl (or whatever won't leave a residue) peel-aways, and then stick them on the undersides of all the lids of the normal white pianos that are set to go out directly to customers... and then wait for the feedback, after the customers open the lids for the first time. Maybe Disney could also print up sorcerer's apprentice stickers, so Steinway can compare expletives, when the calls come in, and find out which artwork the customers least prefer to discover on their new pianos.

This is modern Disney. If it is to be done it should honor Disney with cartoons from the golden era of Disney classics, original Fantasia and earlier. But most of those with an emotional connection to that period are of an age shopping for coffins not customizing grand pianos.

1 hour ago, franky64 said:

I like the piano graphics ... but when Lang Lang starts playing the 'combination' looks ... totally ridiculous 🤡 
Maybe if he'd perfome some Disney children movie tunes ?

Ask and ye shall receive.  

• Like 1

:) Thanks, amigo, you got me !  Imagine this sweet song - video with the Mickey Mouse piano ... :D
Ok, let's move over to Tom&Jerry ... well, honestly, even that would not match ... too 'classical' :)
Maybe the "DP" (Disney-Piano) suits those concert halls Sunday matinees for introducing the young into classical music ? (Seriously!)

• Like 1