Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

US guitarist Al Di Meola suffers a heart attack on stage

Synthaholic

US guitarist Al Di Meola suffers a heart attack on stage

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — The award-winning U.S. guitarist Al Di Meola suffered a heart attack during a performance in Romania’s capital but is currently in a stable condition and receiving treatment, a hospital spokesperson said on Thursday.

Di Meola, 69, began playing a concert at a venue in Bucharest at 9 p.m. on Wednesday night.

Dragos Cristescu, a photographer who attended the concert, told The Associated Press that he saw Di Meola clasp his chest during the performance and that the guitarist struggled to walk off stage. The other two members of Di Meola's trio continued to play for several minutes until they announced the show would be cut short.

In a statement, the Bagdasar-Arseni emergency hospital said Di Meola was admitted to a cardiology ward where he is being treated for a segment elevation myocardial infarction, or STEMI.

According to the health care website Cleveland Clinic, a STEMI mainly affects the heart’s lower chambers and “tend(s) to be more severe and dangerous compared to other types of heart attack.”

Di Meola’s decades-long career has earned him widespread critical acclaim and awards including a Grammy. One of Di Meola's most popular tracks is “Mediterranean Sundance,” which was part of his 1977 album “Elegant Gypsy.” According to his official website, he has sold more than 6 million records worldwide.

image.png.8f3ba81e25d7ea7abc29b47568ca4d6d.png

U.S. guitarist Al Di Meola clutches his chest shortly before struggling to walk off the stage at the Arenele Romane concert venue during his performance in Bucharest, Romania, Wednesday evening, Sept. 27, 2023. Di Meola suffered a heart attack during a performance in Romania’s capital but is currently in a stable condition and receiving treatment, a hospital spokesperson said on Thursday. (AP Photo/Dragos Cristescu)

© Provided by The Associated Press

• Like 1
  • Sad 7
  • Wow! 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Wow, I do not know Al Di Meola personally but we were both from NJ and both took lessons from Bob Aslanian who taught in Forked River NJ when I took lessons from him. and I think Bob was from Teaneck N.J. before he moved south to Forked River N.J. I think Al took lessons from Bob when Al grew up in Bergenfield N.J. just a few miles north of Teaneck. Bob passed away a year or two back, and I learned that from Al's Facebook page.

I hope Al gets well soon. He is one amazing player.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Oh man, I hope he has a full recovery, but he will probably be too weakened to play right away regardless.

I've really admired his solo career and all the exploring he's done. Unfortunately, most of the CD's won't play anymore (a typical problem with smaller labels as they often use inferior CD's to record on), so I have to search online to stay abreast of his latest projects. I've only seen him life with RTF -- several times -- so hope there will still be a chance to see one of his solo tours (where on his own or with other musicians).

I feel lucky that I had one last chance to see Larry Coryell right before he died.

• Like 5

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 4 months later...

Great news!

After heart attack onstage, Al Di Meola is bringing ‘Electric Years’ tour to Clearwater this weekend

This happened early February, but it's the only news about him since his heart attack. Hopefully it went well.

• Like 3

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin