Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quote on "Trashing Other Musicians"

19 hours ago, Steve Nathan said:

For Crise Sake, all I and others said was we didn't care for him and said why. Some folks who do can't seem to get past feeling like it was a personal insult.  

Basically this.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Flip side, since Kenny G came up: I used to lead a jazz ensemble at an experimental public high school in NY. I always did the thing of having students go around and introduce themselves and share any jazz musicians they knew of or liked. One year a kid said he liked Kenny G, and I made the easy joke of, "No, I said jazz musicians." Ha ha, right? What a stupid thing that was for me to say. That kid dropped out of the ensemble, of course.  I never did that again. In those contexts I always try to turn the conversation to "What do you like about his/her playing/music." You can never tell what someone's "way in" to music will be. At that kid's age I probably would have said "Chuck Mangione." Big learning moment for me as an instructor. 

• Like 8

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

33 minutes ago, AROIOS said:
7 hours ago, Radagast said:

"...Metheny also trashed musicians who recorded with tracks of dead artists."

That was also poor Kenny 😃

Metheny also trashed the great Larry Coryell.  

Back when I was more of a Metheny fan, a co-worker of mine told me that he couldn't stand Pat's music.   He called it "Circus Music".   After thinking about it, he had a point...   Most of Pat's tunes in the Group, you can imagine accompanying the performers under the Big Top at a Circus.   Very apt observation, I thought.

• Haha 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

56 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

...He called it "Circus Music".   After thinking about it, he had a point...   Most of Pat's tunes in the Group, you can imagine accompanying the performers under the Big Top at a Circus.   Very apt observation, I thought..

"Circus Music" is a fair description for some of Pat's tunes. I shared the same sentiment towards his stuff, and I was bored to tears by Keith Jarrett's "Koln concert" album recommended by friends.

What I realized later is that they're both diverse enough to offer something I dig deeply, I just hadn't come across the "right" material in their repertoire at the time.

Over the years, I've found this to be true on a lot of musicians, often to the extreme where I absolutely LOVE one or two pieces of their works and would happily skip the rest.

8 hours ago, HammondDave said:

It's easy for me to be complimentary cause I basically suck. If you play music, the music will speak for you. Period. 

I resemble this remark :D 

8 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

I think TW has one of the best voices in music. 

Agreed - I love distinctive voices. Brad from Crash Test Dummies is one of my faves and that's one different voice. For the record, one of my fave TW songs, which I've posted here before:

• Haha 2

Suggesting a keyboard player should have pursued a career as a plumber is fair, balanced, and justifiable criticism? MPN has sure moved on while I was not logging in.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

On 9/27/2023 at 12:59 AM, niacin said:

I can’t imagine you’ll get any argument about that, especially for a drummer, iirc Sting said the same thing of Stewart Copeland. I was in a funk band years ago that fired a drummer for committing the same sin.

But I never get an uncomfortable feeling from Stewart. Palmer never settles into a pocket and his drum solo section on “Karn Evil” sounds as if he was being chased by a knife wielding Keith. 

• Haha 2

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com