Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to keep pedals in place.

A recent thread talked about how to keep pedals from moving around (gaffer’s tape, pedalboard, etc.) and I mentioned using a rubber bed liner that is always in my SUV. Here it is at a tailgate gig yesterday. 

IMG_4313.jpeg

• Like 3

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

Can I ask, as a non-USAian, what is a tailgate gig?

Cheers, Mike.

A tailgate gig is usually a gig in a parking lot just prior to a large sporting event.  You pull up in your truck and sit on your tailgate and party.

In American football, tailgating is HUGE. People show up hours before (if not the night before) to party in the parking lot pre-game.

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Iconoclast summed it up pretty well. This group rents out a good-sized parking lot, brings two full-sized RVs that each have two big screen TVs and beer taps built into the side. Lots of food and beer. Probably 100 people show up and about a third of them don’t even go to the game but stay and watch in the parking lot. 

One of our favorite gigs every year. 

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Here’s the best solution I’ve found:  “CREEPNOMORE”.  I bought several of these years ago, don’t know if they’re still available, but it works great for me.  If not available any longer, the concept is simple enough to just make yourself.  Or just attach a long piece of felt to the bottom of the sustain pedal.  The weight of your heel simply keeps it in place pretty well.  YMMV.

• Like 2

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

13 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

I lay down a small carpet that fits in my wheeled gig bag. The pedals dont slide on the carpet.

That's pretty much my solution.   It not only helps the pedals, but provides me some comfort as I stand, and can even out some minor unevenness in the floor.  My rug won't fit in anything, it's 4x6, but it does look nice on stage IMO :)   It's a nice blue persian style rug.  If the stage is already carpeted I usually leave it in the car.   It's pretty much part of my rig, it always rides along even if it's not used--along with my Lasko "rock and roll black" drying fan, backup gear case and outdoor gig "kit" (duffle with towel, grill cover and a few other things.)

I also have a pedalboard (or my wedge when I use one, I'm experimenting) under my keyboard stand so that provides a back stop for my two fc5 sustains in front of it as well.

For 35+ years, I have been using a pedal board onto which my stand is attached and each pedal is mounted on the board. This helps quite a bit with consistency and muscle memory, as I've been doing the sustain and two expression pedals with a Leslie/Vent fast/slow footswitch all mounted in the same general place.

You can see the current iteration of this here, which is a stand I custom built back in 2016, with a little bit of multi-pin wiring wizardry provided by the forum's own @vonnor

I also have a practice version of this stand and pedal board that stays in the band's rehearsal space.

IMG_0497.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

On 9/18/2023 at 12:44 PM, vonnor said:

^^^ Clean rig right there ^^^

No spaghetti.

~ vonnor

That caught my eye last time eric posted his rig :)  

I mean, there's "tuck cables against the stand leg" neat (that's me) and then there's whatever is happening there.  I wouldn't mind a a bit more about how that is being done!

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 7:06 PM, analogika said:

I bought an Easter home crucifixion kit a while ago and just nail them to the stage. 

Check your messages. 

• Thanks 1

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

17 hours ago, Stokely said:

That caught my eye last time eric posted his rig :)  

I mean, there's "tuck cables against the stand leg" neat (that's me) and then there's whatever is happening there.  I wouldn't mind a a bit more about how that is being done!

Here's an older thread where I get into the details of this rig. Enjoy and thanks for your kind words! I am still hopelessly in love with this version of my live rig.

Mine is more standard but having just one keyboard with no column in front of me definitely has a more free and open feel.  With my spider pro and two keyboards, with mic adapter on top, I'm basically behind a wall (and I do sing some lead).

Question on the cables, which weren't really addressed in the other thread--they look like some kind of right-angle cable(s) or snake?   I'd love to have that happening on my NS3.   I have two pedal cables (sustain and rotor inputs), two audio (use just one if mono) and the power cable.   I might start bringing out my foot controller as well.  If it's a snake, do your pedals, audio and maybe even power stay together with the cables, or do you have some kind of connection/extender where they plug in, or ?

Love the wheels too, that has me thinking a bit.  I think my Omega pro might have optional casters or I could put some on, or maybe do a platform as you have.