Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

Geoff Grace

6 hours ago, bill5 said:

That would appear to be the case. Amazing how disappointing that highly-touted QB class turned out to be. 

2 of the 5 QBs drafted in the 1st round (Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen) are still with the same team. 3 QBs are starters. It could have been worse.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Allen and Jackson have generally done well and the stats look great, but IMO not consistently elite, esp in the playoffs; only Jackson has so far really justified his draft position (and more given he was drafted at the end of the first). The others were all drafted very high and the other three are either busts or borderline...just goes to show what a crap shoot drafting a QB is.

2 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Good game between WAS and PHI but the much-hyped WAS OC Beinemy made a horrifically baffling call late, going for it on 4th and 8 in their own turf in a close, one-score game.

HC makes decision to go for it on 4th down.

OC could have called a better 4th down play. Otherwise, I thought his play-calling allowed the offense to played well through most the game.

Tunovers down the stretch and giving up too many big plays on defense was the difference in the game. 

Commanders played the Eagles better than I expected. Hopefully they will build on the competitiveness they showed today. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Source: QB Kirk Cousins tears right Achilles in Vikings' victory

This is disappointing news. The Vikings looked like they had turned their season around, and now this. I hope Cousins can make a full recovery and play well during the final years of his career.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Speaking of the Packers/Vikings game, Green Bay's defense looks good (and has performed well all season long); but their offense now has five straight games without a first half touchdown. This never happened during the Favre/Rodgers era and last happened in 1988—not a good sign.

In today's game, they didn't even convert for a first down until just over four minutes remaining in the first half.

Best,

Geoff

22 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

Source: QB Kirk Cousins tears right Achilles in Vikings' victory

This is disappointing news. The Vikings looked like they had turned their season around, and now this. I hope Cousins can make a full recovery and play well during the final years of his career.

Best,

Geoff

Oh boy.  Damn what a tough break.

This was one of the teams Caleb Williams said he wanted to play for.

29 minutes ago, bill5 said:

And isn't Cousins' contract up this year? 

Technically, it's March of next year; but yes.

29 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Meanwhile the Broncos beat the Chiefs, are you kidding me?

The Chiefs turned over the ball three times in the first half, and ... I think Denver is improving.

(Oh, and Patrick Mahomes was sick but played anyway, and Taylor Swift was absent.)

Best,

Geoff

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JazzPiano88 said:

The NFL is the WWF.   All you need to know in case you decide to cease being manipulated.   Follow the money.

For as much as I enjoy watching the sport, I've been thinking and verbalizing along similar lines for a few years now.

The 49ers look unbeatable and crushed another team a few weeks ago. Then, the drop 3 games in a row.

The  Broncos got annihilated a few weeks ago and haven't looked remotely good all season long. Today, they hold the defending super bowl champ Chiefs to under 10 points. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if we found out the NFL snd Draft Kings have something in common. 😎

PD

I wouldn't be surprised, I'd be shocked. I'm not saying shenanigans never happen (here's looking at you, Cheatriots!), but widespread fixing? That's far too hard to fake and would take buy-in from far too many people. I think it's just that the diff between good teams and bad in the NFL is much smaller than most assume and any given day etc etc.

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

I suspect the Panthers will have the #1 pick next year, but I can see the Vikings not too far behind and make a play for the #1 pick to get Williams.

Don’t the Bears own the Panthers’ 1st round pick in 2024?

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

Oh yeah, you're right. And I don't see the Bears giving up on Fields, even with Williams sitting there. Although Fields has been underwhelming even with improved weapons. Would they dare take the plunge for Williams? This could be a really interesting draft......... 

2d and 5th - that's a good trade for NY. They need as many draft picks as they can and they aren't going anywhere this year. 

Sorry but IMO "Stephen A" is "a" idiot. I shudder to think how much he's paid to spew his nonsense. PS dude get a last name - or at least switch letters to "F"

Eh, I don't really believe there is widespread fixing going on.  If there is, so be it, but teams have gotten hot then cooled off ever since I've been watching.  

The difference between good and bad teams is WAY smaller than it used to be overall.  Free agency and the salary cap.   

I do think teams "tank" though it's kind of hard to blame a team when they have no chance.  Might as well get something for older players and see what the young guys can do, and maybe luck out with a high draft pick that actually pans out :) 

Speaking of, now that Cousins is gone, wonder if the Vikes will basically fold--watch management try, and have the players (fighting for jobs) reel off a bunch of narrow wins so that they get destroyed in the playoffs :)  That would be a very Vikings thing to do!   Either way I'm good...I'm way less invested in them and the league in general than I used to be.   Same for all the leagues really, the money and all the non-stop coverage of it does turn me off.   Helps that I haven't tuned in to espn or any sports yakking show in years now.

The Bills should have added depth to the backfield before the season started. Remains to be seen whether or not they commit to running the ball with someone other than their QB.

I agree that there is a certain amount of league parity within the NFL. Any given Sunday applies too.

However, some teams are clearly better than others. Losing badly to a lesser team smells funny. Football isn't boxing. There are no lucky punches.

I'm not ready to go before a congressional inquiry to discuss widespread fixing in the NFL. But, there are game outcomes that raise my brow and make my head itch.🤣😎

PD

I doubt there is any widespread massive conspiracy going on, but there are definitely pockets of malfeasance, and I would not doubt that some refs are compromised.

To explain some of the unexpected outcomes:    The league is definitely expert at figuring out a surprise success and neutralizing it.    Kaepernick was the best example.  Jaworski proclaimed he was the best QB to ever play the game and within 6 months, he'd been figured out, neutralized, and marginalized.  

Same could probably true with Purdy.  I could see SF going 0 for the rest of the season and Shanahan and Lynch fired together in week 16.

• Haha 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 hours ago, Stokely said:

I do think teams "tank" though it's kind of hard to blame a team when they have no chance.  Might as well get something for older players and see what the young guys can do, and maybe luck out with a high draft pick that actually pans out :) 

I don't think that's tanking; I think that's smart planning. Tanking is when you purposely lose just to get higher draft picks next year. I think that happens little at most. Players, for starters, don't want to play badly because then they'll be less attractive to other teams and hurt their paychecks big time...maybe even to the point of not having one. 

Speaking of, now that Cousins is gone, wonder if the Vikes will basically fold--watch management try, and have the players (fighting for jobs) reel off a bunch of narrow wins so that they get destroyed in the playoffs :)  

There is nooooo way they're making the playoffs without Cousins. 

37 minutes ago, ProfD said:

However, some teams are clearly better than others. Losing badly to a lesser team smells funny. Football isn't boxing. There are no lucky punches.

Not sure about boxing, but there are lucky bounces of the ball in football. :)  

The better team on paper often loses on the field. That's always been true of all sports at all levels but esp at the pro level. It doesn't indicate any fixing of any kind. 

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

The better team on paper often loses on the field. That's always been true of all sports at all levels but esp at the pro level. It doesn't indicate any fixing of any kind. 

Sure. As I mentioned above, any given Sunday applies.

I hope there's no funny stuff, er, games being fixed.

In the meantime,  I'm sure there will continue to be outcomes that lead to raising my brow and scratching my head.😎

• Haha 1

PD

The 11 QBs that Vikings fans (or this particular fan anyway) think can replace Cousins immediately:

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-acquire-qb-kirk-cousins-achilles-davis-mills-ryan-tannehill-jameis-winston-carson-wentz/

TLDR take:  Very limited options.   Tannehill being on that list makes no sense as he missed the latest Titans game due to his own injury problems.  

Yeah, no hope of trading to make the Superbowl is painfully obvious, looking at that list of 11 QBs.    As much as some of us love the stories of heroic QBs who come out of nowhere like Kurt Warner, none of those guys look like a Kurt Warner.

Anyway, my buds were chatting about Levis' coming out party with the Titans, which quickly led to the NFL sending a cease and desist to University of Houston for sporting these Oiler-like unis

r1245993_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cquali

In light of that, seeing this made me chuckle.  I guess the NFL knows that going after a Pop Warner team (South Tampa Titans) would be a PR mistake:

contentrotator637797705562298507.png

• Haha 1