Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FGDP = Finger Drum

ElmerJFudd

Thought so. There was quite a bit of speculation about what they might be. Member PJD solved the puzzle a few days ago with his post that pointed out they were finger drum pads that were being shipped to India from China. FWIW, here is the definitive list of products in the pipeline from Yamaha, which Yamaha then yanked after they were discovered on the Yamaha Singapore website by internet sleuths. The Montage M7 is of great interest to me, as well as the new Genos2.

49023 - SEQTRAK BLACK/2
149024 - SEQTRAK ORANGE2
149270 - FGDP-30 //Y
149271 - FGDP-50 //Y
149309 - HS3 B //B
149310 - HS3 W //B
149311 - HS4 B //B
149312 - HS4 W //B
149435 - PACS+12 APK
149436 - PACS+12 BK
149437 - PACS+12 SWH
149438 - PACS+12 SBL
149439 - PACS+12M APK
149440 - PACS+12M BK
149441 - PACS+12M SPARKL
149464 - UR22C RD PACK
149465 - UR22C RD
149466 - UR44C RD
149469 - TSX-N237 BL
149470 - TSX-N237 WH
149496 - GENOS2 //Y2
149539 - SR-X40A BL (L)
149540 - WS-X1A BL (G)
149720 - MONTAGE M6 //E
149721 - MONTAGE M7 //E
149722 - MONTAGE M8X //E
149729 - P-525B //Y2
149730 - P-525WH //Y2

Why you just learn finger drumming in GM on a keyboard controller?

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Some people just prefer the layout and/or feeling of pads better.  

But in this case - it’s the portability. It’s tiny, rechargeable battery, has a little speaker.  It also has USB audio and midi so easy to bring your patterns over to your Mac/PC.  Functions as a controller as well, I would imagine.   Price point (and features) much below an MPC. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've been looking at the Keith McMillen BopPad, demos indicate it has much more dynamic range and touch sensitivity than the Yamaha thingie.

They are currently out of stock but some vendors have them. $199 usd. Some great demos on YouTube, scroll down the page to the bright pink "More Videos" button. 

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/boppad/

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

4 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I've been looking at the Keith McMillen BopPad, demos indicate it has much more dynamic range and touch sensitivity than the Yamaha thingie.

They are currently out of stock but some vendors have them. $199 usd. Some great demos on YouTube, scroll down the page to the bright pink "More Videos" button. 

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/boppad/

Has a Korg WaveDrum look to it.  

https://www.korg.com/us/products/drums/wavedrum_global_edition/

4 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I own a Korg Wavedrum Global. It's a great electronic drum. Yes, they both look like drums and they both are drums. 🙂

The BopPad is profoundly different in many ways. You can have 4 touch sensitive surfaces, it has a USB out to interface with plugins and/or power the unit, the playing surfaces are profoundly different materials (Wavedrum uses a single standard drum head), it's much more compact and lighter. I'm considering the BopPad as another sound source for recording beats, not so much as a live performance device. 

24 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I own a Korg Wavedrum Global. It's a great electronic drum. Yes, they both look like drums and they both are drums. 🙂

The BopPad is profoundly different in many ways. You can have 4 touch sensitive surfaces, it has a USB out to interface with plugins and/or power the unit, the playing surfaces are profoundly different materials (Wavedrum uses a single standard drum head), it's much more compact and lighter. I'm considering the BopPad as another sound source for recording beats, not so much as a live performance device. 

On going deeper, you need a sound source for the BopPad, it uses MIDI via USB to access sounds. I think I'll play around with my X-Key 25 first and see what playing plugins with MIDI is like before jumping in. There are reports of latency issues for one thing. That could be computer dependent, a slow computer could cause that problem.

I am not in a hurry, time is on my side.

3 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Some people just prefer the layout and/or feeling of pads better.  

<raises hand>

Drumming is not a specialty of mine but I do like Yamaha's pad layout here and the uneven pad sizes, with the snare and bass/kick pads being the biggest.

I did put in some effort to learn basic drumming on a conventional keyboard controller.  Once I tried pad controllers, though, there's no going back.

• Like 1

I've been using THREE XKeys for some time, in part because the minimal key throw translates into rapid triggering in general. How well the new Yamaha thingy handles enthusiastic practice remains to be seen. Tiny speakers make me a bit suspicious of anything musical. It often means the device is non-pro and not liable to have the longer life of a Wavedrum, etc.

This one has a rather welcoming arrangement similar to Buchla's Thunder, which always seemed like a near ideal shape for human hands. I've happily adapted to my XKeys and I can recommend them as good performers. I'll still be keen on reviews of the new Yamabeast, though; you never know when that design lightning may strike and yield a keeper.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

18 hours ago, David Emm said:

I've been using THREE XKeys for some time, in part because the minimal key throw translates into rapid triggering in general. How well the new Yamaha thingy handles enthusiastic practice remains to be seen. Tiny speakers make me a bit suspicious of anything musical. It often means the device is non-pro and not liable to have the longer life of a Wavedrum, etc.

This one has a rather welcoming arrangement similar to Buchla's Thunder, which always seemed like a near ideal shape for human hands. I've happily adapted to my XKeys and I can recommend them as good performers. I'll still be keen on reviews of the new Yamabeast, though; you never know when that design lightning may strike and yield a keeper.

You got me trying my XKey 25 for MIDI drums. It does work well, so do the pads on my Alesis V25. 

The Yamaha looks interesting and I do gravitate towards electronic drums that have their own sounds as well as being able to do MIDI. 

The KAT Percussion KTMP1 is another electronic drum with sounds built in. Up here in little Bellingham we have limited access to all the fun stuff unless we drive to Seattle.

There is another MIDI only pad that has my interest, the Keith McMillen BopPad demos I've watched indicate that it has the most sensitive pad surfaces and the widest dynamic range, plus "tone zones" on each quadrant. Quoted from the Sweetwater page - "Each zone transmits MIDI note, velocity, pitch bend, pressure, and continuous control". The interface is super simple, a single USB cable, no knobs etc. I'm not in a big rush, will do more research on all of these. I'd like on of them to compliment my Korg Wavedrum Global. That would make a sweet home recording rig indeed!

4 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I checked that out on the interwebz. A bit speedy but very cool stuff!

I'm happy connecting it to my old Roland TD08 drum brain. Some drummers are satisfied with nothing less than a notebook running Superior Drummer. I'd like to hear the Yamaha, but in reality I would spend a bit more for an Akai MPC One+.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

1 minute ago, RABid said:

I'm happy connecting it to my old Roland TD08 drum brain. Some drummers are satisfied with nothing less than a notebook running Superior Drummer. I'd like to hear the Yamaha, but in reality I would spend a bit more for an Akai MPC One+.

That sounds pretty cool too. There are lots of options! 

At this point, I'm fine running software and using pads/keys to throw down beats. I also have REMO Dumbek and bongos plus a box full of random fun percussion stuff. It's been my experience that some really interesting percussion shows up in the kids toys at thrift stores for a couple of bucks. I like playing real, analog percussion but I can't get very loud in a 33 unit condo so snares and toms hit with sticks are out of the question. 

In the future, I may get the BopPad, it seems to be both the simplest interface and the most responsive to touch. That's what draws me to the Wavedrum, it is very touch sensitive and doesn't just reproduce existing electronic sounds. I can make it "speak". 

• Like 1

I have started to learn finger drumming, with a keyboard controller. This product from Yamaha seems interesting, maybe I will buy it in the future, if I will reach a good finger drumming level...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UnderGroundGr said:

I have started to learn finger drumming, with a keyboard controller. This product from Yamaha seems interesting, maybe I will buy it in the future, if I will reach a good finger drumming level...

While I have used the metronome in my DAW to play along with and that is effective, I also will drop a drum loop in and play along with that. There are lots of beats in drum programs that "breathe" better than the metronome and are still spot on timing. Probably best to use both!

3 hours ago, RABid said:

I meant "spendy", thanks auto-misspell!!!! 😇

• Like 1

If you already have a decent keyboard with velocity touch, there's really no need for a finger drum pad unless you want to use it to practice with when you're away from your keyboard. I think a lot of younger musicians on tight budgets will buy them because of the low price(s) and decent functionality. With Christmas coming up, they would make great gifts for novice musicians and of course older adults who don't have a keyboard or a drum set. I found a great YouTube video by Dom Sigalas instructing people how to do realistic finger drumming on a keyboard if anyone cares to check it out.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxD30s4jvcw

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keyboardplayer said:

If you already have a decent keyboard with velocity touch, there's really no need for a finger drum pad unless you want to use it to practice with when you're away from your keyboard. I think a lot of younger musicians on tight budgets will buy them because of the low price(s) and decent functionality. With Christmas coming up, they would make great gifts for novice musicians and of course older adults who don't have a keyboard or a drum set. I found a great YouTube video by Dom Sigalas instructing people how to do realistic finger drumming on a keyboard if anyone cares to check it out.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxD30s4jvcw

I mostly agree and have both an XKey and an Alesis V25. The Keith McMillen BopPad looks to me to be a unique spin on a finger (or stick) drum pad. the dynamic range and the tonal variations are unique, at least at this point. There is still nothing like the Korg Wavedrum Global either, I love mine. It is expressive in ways that I've never experienced with MIDI drums (Wavedrum is not MIDI). I can record my fingernails scratching the head on the Wavedrum, pads won't do that. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Micro-USB for power? Surely USB-C is the choice in 2023?

Cheers, Mike.

Yeah but either cable is an easy find, in fact one probably already has several spare micro USB to Type A cables laying around, I know I do.  What I don't have is a micro USB to Type C, and perhaps that is what should be in the box, but most computers still have Type A ports (Apple often being one of the quickest to ditch ports outright).  

13 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Yeah but either cable is an easy find, in fact one probably already has several spare micro USB to Type A cables laying around, I know I do.  What I don't have is a micro USB to Type C, and perhaps that is what should be in the box, but most computers still have Type A ports (Apple often being one of the quickest to ditch ports outright).  

Agreed - I'm more concerned about the durability of the micro connector. 

Cheers, Mike.

4 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Agreed - I'm more concerned about the durability of the micro connector. 

Cheers, Mike.

I've been using various micro connectors for a long time for various widgets. So far, zero problems. Zero problems with USB connectors of whatever type as well. 

I think human error is more likely a problem than the connectors themselves. In the end, the XLR connector is probably the most bullet-proof design ever but some things need more connection to function.