Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FGDP = Finger Drum

ElmerJFudd

I ordered the BopPad and downloaded the manuals for the Wavedrum. It's time to start learning how to tweak the presets on that thing, it's too awesome to ignore. 

I sold my first generation Handsonic, have not tried the newer ones. The electronic drum market continues to evolve... 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I will buy the white one for my son, he is interested in finger drumming. I will try it as a controller for Addictive drums...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

The Bop Pad meets a different set of needs/desires from these Yamaha products but I'm sure it'll be fine for the right kind of customer.

"cannot play with sticks 😭" was the funniest complaint I've seen about the FGDP series.   

I agree that it's a different thing. We have one smaller Guitar Center here in Bellingham. The staff is friendly and happy to help you try things out but they don't have the range of things that one might hope for. 

Online, I looked at the BopPad, the Yamaha offering and the KAT Percussion KTMP1. All different. 

The BopPad has no internal sounds, just a MIDI out. Since I'm only going to use it for recording that's fine. I have lots of drum sound options in MIDI drum plugins that I already know and like. I have a Korg Wavedrum Global which is another different animal, no MIDI but VERY touch sensitive and super fun to play. Of the 3 I was seriously considering, the BopPad comes closer to what I want than the other two. If price were not a factor there might be other contenders. 

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

I'd need to try the Yamaha in person before buying, just like I tried the MPC pads on MPC Keys 61 before buying an MPC One, which has the same type of pads.

The Bop Pad looks cool but it doesn't fit my interests.

We are all different, that's part of the fun! I've never been a button pusher, I've tried to like it but I just don't. 

I've owned and messed about with a variety of electronic drums. Korg Wavedrum Global is far and away my favorite, it is amazingly expressive. You are playing a real drum head with a microphone and synth sounds, no MIDI available. It's very well done, 3rd generation of the Wavedrum, Korg really delivered on it. 

I'm hoping the BopPad has enough expression, I know it's pressure sensitive, can do pitch bends and there are seven "rings" running through the 4 pads, the closer to the center you play the brighter it gets and the farther out to the rim the highs roll off, at least that's how it looked in the YouTube demos. 

I'll know more next week. 

3 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

We are all different, that's part of the fun! I've never been a button pusher, I've tried to like it but I just don't. 

I've owned and messed about with a variety of electronic drums. Korg Wavedrum Global is far and away my favorite, it is amazingly expressive. You are playing a real drum head with a microphone and synth sounds, no MIDI available. It's very well done, 3rd generation of the Wavedrum, Korg really delivered on it. 

I'm hoping the BopPad has enough expression, I know it's pressure sensitive, can do pitch bends and there are seven "rings" running through the 4 pads, the closer to the center you play the brighter it gets and the farther out to the rim the highs roll off, at least that's how it looked in the YouTube demos. 

Ya, please do follow up on it.  I'm curious about your thoughts on build quality and functionality, features.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

40 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Here's an old post on it.  I presume the product has improved quite a bit since those initial times:

I don't really want another controller that needs to be connected to a computer but like you said, we're all different.

@ElmerJFudd perhaps consider renaming the thread if you want this to be a general drum controller thread instead of just the Yamahas.   Somebody might search this forum for that topic and see (currently) off-topic posts about other makes and models.

I with you look with the BopPad, Kuru but we should also respect Elmer's intentions with this thread.

9 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Here's an old post on it.  I presume the product has improved quite a bit since those initial times:

I don't really want another controller that needs to be connected to a computer but like you said, we're all different.

@ElmerJFudd perhaps consider renaming the thread if you want this to be a general drum controller thread instead of just the Yamahas.   Somebody might search this forum for that topic and see (currently) off-topic posts about other makes and models.

I had seen a YouTube review from a few seasons ago where the fellow was not impressed with the bop pad due to construction not being up to show room use. But who knows.  

No, this thread is for the new Yamahas.  Maybe kuru can start a bop pad thread once he’s had a chance to live with his a bit. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

11 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I had seen a YouTube review from a few seasons ago where the fellow was not impressed with the bop pad due to construction not being up to show room use. But who knows.  

No, this thread is for the new Yamahas.  Maybe kuru can start a bop pad thread once he’s had a chance to live with his a bit. 

OK, I'll stop posting since I don't own one. 

But since 2 of you have mentioned fragility, they've definitely made improvements. There's even a video where they drive an SUV over one and it survives. 

Hmmm... well this was a post about a specific Yamaha electronic drum product, posted in Keyboard Corner. 

I made the mistake of mentioning other options, which did not seem to please the OP or another member.

Then, I thought on it - a discussion of an electronic drum belongs in Hit It!, the forum in MPN for drums and percussion. I'm a moderator who mostly doesn't moderate but we can't just post threads all over the place, that's why there are different fora so discussions can be more coherent and cohesive. 

So, I moved it here. Perhaps it will continue, perhaps not. 

• Like 2

I am waiting to buy the white one, when it will be available. When i will play it, i will be back...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

• 3 weeks later...

The fgdp-30 is fantastic. Pads has a great feel and sensitivity, 3 finger playing is a brilliant idea from Yamaha.

It acts very good as  midi controller. I use it with Addictive drums in general midi mode. The only thing i must do is to remap the pads, all the others are ok.

It is also very good as audio card. You can record via usb the internal sound.

The internal speaker is very nice for practice.

When you change values(volume, drum kits) you listen a female voice to tell you about the changes(very clever way to replace the luck of a screen).

The sound is excellent and more than 30 drum kits to play.

When we will play more i will tell you about the other functions!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 8:31 AM, murphybridget said:

Does it also play traditional drums?

It has many kits, from jazz to metal and edm.

And many nice percussion kits!

• 5 weeks later...

Man the FDGP-50 is either very popular or released without a good supply. I’m seeing online retailers list availability of “several months” and “March 2024”. FDGP-30 appears to be available now but has the voice menus.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs