Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mounting a computer monitor to a keyboard stand

I'm trying to figure out the best way to put together a rig for studio, and maybe eventually live, that allows me to mount a computer monitor to a keyboard stand.

My three biggest challenges with "standard" mounting arms are: 

a. most are designed to mount horizontally (onto desks)

b. When removing the keyboard, I'm afraid the keyboard stand will tip over.  

c. Cantilevering it over the keyboard

Bonus points for being adjustable without having to pull out an Allen wrench.  

I've got multiple and it kind of depends on the usage. 

FYI - My primary keyboard is a MOXF8, but I also use a 61 key Novation Impulse and a Hammond SK1 that would have to fit into the mix. 

Windows PC based recording and playback, so no Mac monitor/CPU combos. 

In the studio: 

• Z-Stand on casters, similar to this on Amazon
  • Gator Keyboard Table (Sweetwater link) . This is a nice, sturdy stand, but it's depth is minimal and while it has a horizontal bar, that bar is so far under the keyboard that it won't work. 
  • I also have a custom "studio desk" that has back and sides, so mounting without altering doeesn't work. This desk does face the wall, and I have a large 4k TV mounted there, but would like to have something for closer work (e.g., a 26" monitor, maybe a touch screen).

I've thought about mounting something on the wall behind the keyboard, which is fine when I'm facing the wall, but not when I'm working with anyone else. 

For live (backing tracks and PA monitoring ), I usually use a Laptop on a dedicate laptop stand and advance, start/stop using MIDI commands from one of the keyboards, but it would be nice to have a second monitor - even if it's small - available. 

• Standtastic 48" keyboard stand with two keyboards
  • Z-Stand for single keyboard gigs

I tend NOT to like second tiers on anything other than the Standtastic because the upper is so far away from the bottom keyboard. 

Oh, I initially thought music stand, even though you said keyboard stand. A typical sheet music stand would give you tilt and height adjustments. Or if tilt isn't needed, a keyboard mounted sheet music stand might do it.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

I'll look through IKEA. Didn't see Stubberget bracket, but I'll look a bit deeper later today. 

The Music Stand idea is possible as well and certainly would help in the short term, as is a tilting, sliding, wall mount. 

I could also fabricate something myself (I built the desk afterall :) ), but that takes work, time (which I'd rather use on music), and always a chance of hurting myself on power tools :(

I'll repost results when I get a a solution. 

9 hours ago, Pat Azzarello said:

I'll look through IKEA. Didn't see Stubberget bracket, but I'll look a bit deeper later today. 

Doesn't appear to be at the USA Ikea yet - I found it at the UK Ikea site:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?q=STUBBERGET

The "laptop holder" (middle item) looks like it might be attachable to a keyboard stand, for anyone looking for a secure way to have a laptop within reach. I wonder if and when these will get to the USA.

• Like 1

Ideally you’ve selected a monitor with the 4 vesa mount screw holes on the back.   Then things start to become possible.  For example a pole mount.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIVO-Steel-Universal-Bracket-Pole-Mount-VESA-Plate-Fits-13-to-30-Screens/374290957

If using a Gibraltar stand it could mount to the second tier support stem and you ditch the second tier support bar.  

spacer.png

If using a stand with a mic stand accessory kit, you could attach it to the vertical mic stand pole and ditch the horizontal mic stand arm.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thanks everyone. 

With the exception of the Omega solution, I think I'm going to go the route of a monitor mounted on a stand as the monitor is large (26"), so it's probably going to be something like this:

Pole Mount VESA Bracket

It means a stand with a larger footprint, but it will probably be safer considering the size of the actual monitor. 

1 hour ago, Pat Azzarello said:

I think I'm going to go the route of a monitor mounted on a stand as the monitor is large (26"), so it's probably going to be something like this:

Pole Mount VESA Bracket

It means a stand with a larger footprint, but it will probably be safer considering the size of the actual monitor. 

You can also get a combined stand/VESA mount, for example:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07581Z9SM

2 hours ago, Pat Azzarello said:

I would love to get more detail on how you mounted that M-Audio controller. I can't tell if there's a tier, or something custom. 

Something custom. I didn't like the omega 2nd tier, as it makes the top kbd quite a bit higher than the bottom kbd. My solution is fairly simple. I don't want to go into too much detail in this thread so as not to derail things, but I'll try to get something posted elsewhere. 

edit to add- check the Dig My Rig thread. 🙂

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/