Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KORG Nautilus AT

According to something I saw elsewhere, this will only be available in 61 and 88, and not 73. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

From the Korg Forums. Hopefully the retrofit is available globally.  I'd definitely do that update for my Nautilus 61.

A new Korg Nautilus AT was announced today. The Korg UK mail I received states:

Available in 61 and 88-key versions, Nautilus AT extends our Nautilus workstation line-up and offers musicians powerful levels of musical expression with the addition of aftertouch.

A hardware and software modification for "non" AT old Nautilus is offered, unfortunately only in UK and Ireland:

...we're also introducing an upgrade service to transform your Nautilus 61 or 88 into a Nautilus AT.
Available exclusively from Korg UK to customers in the UK and Ireland.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

4 minutes ago, Radagast said:

Now if they had just added 9 sliders for real time control of the organ engine, it would be perfect. Or at least offer a NanoKontrol type box to connect to it.

It’s probably time for them to release a Kronos 3.  Has to be a better idea than incrementally adding what’s missing to the Nautilus. 😉

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

56 minutes ago, K K said:

Hey, I didn't know I had a Kronos AT9SNK

(aftertouch + 9 sliders + numeric keypad). :P

Nautilus owners should wait for the upcoming Nautilus AT9S, then the Nautilus AT9SNK.  :roll:

Exactly. 

Most of the maunfacturer's do inexplicable stuff with gear releases.  Take one of the the main reasons I'd do the Nautilus AT upgrade: it'd be my only full-sized synth action with usable aftertouch.  I do have a Fantom, but it's action's AT is terrible. 

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

Bloody hell, discontinued the Kronos to replace with the Nautilus and took away aftertouch, then release a new model with absolutely nothing but the aftertouch reinstated. I do like Korg, but this is a cheap move.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

So…why? 

Did they think they could get away with a workstation without AT and the market shat all over the omission? 

Or did they have to release on schedule, but couldn't source an AT-capable keybed at realistic prices during the pandemic? 

• Like 2

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

11 minutes ago, bill5 said:

All of the keyboard companies do IMO.

Well, nothing is perfect for every player; so it seems every company does come up short somewhere. Not to stray too far OT, but from another search  - a few moments back - it's very clear that Roland is going to do nothing with regard to replacing its aftertouch sensor strip on the Fantom. It triggers slightly better with the global AT set at 64 (on a 0-127 scale), especially when playing other AT enabled sound sources via MIDI; but its own sounds AT triggers are still rather 'jolting'.  Based on experience with the Kronos, I suspect the Nautilus AT upgrade will be much smoother.  If so, I may take a long look at off-loading the Fantom, then using the Nautilus to control a Roland module or the basic Roland Cloud. 

It is amazing to imagine that they check a box on a feature (like AT) for the spec sheet and don’t actually get players’ feedback on how it well it works.  But then again, we often can’t get keyboard instrument companies to prioritize the quality and playability of the actions themselves.  

4 hours ago, allan_evett said:

with the addition of aftertouch.

These companies are starting to wise up.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I felt sick watching someone on a video trying to explain what AT is. I mean, come on. It's not a new thing.

Come on Korg, give is the Korg Kronos 3 with double the polyphony and faster boot up!!!!!!

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

OK so I guess this adds credibility to the thing (using JR to explain how AT works). :roll:

As much as I love my Kronos (and how I liked my previous Korg machines), I can't believe how Korg has lost it in terms of being at the edge of creativity and innovations. It is kind of sad when one remembers their great achievements when founder Mr Tsutomu Kato was at the wheel. I guess global problems might explain why at least in part.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, K K said:

I can't believe how Korg has lost it in terms of being at the edge of creativity and innovations. It is kind of sad when one remembers their great achievements when founder Mr Tsutomu Kato was at the wheel. I guess global problems might explain why at least in part.

What's "the edge" of creativity, nowadays? Its shows with the Osmose, Hydrasynth and numerous softsynths. Nord seems to be doing fine as a stage piano leader with just a couple of synths in the stable. The title changes hands a lot.

In some ways, the Big 3 are struggling to stay fresh while people demand that lightning strike in the same place repeatedly. They wouldn't keep offering mini-synths or the Nautilus if the market wasn't encouraging it. Paying the bills with slow-but-steady performers will always come before risky innovation that might be dazzling, but which may also resist being scaled down profitably. (Your inclusion of global problems as a factor is also accurate.)

Besides, I'm a long-time Korg player with scads of hand-made 01W & Triton samples and a Wavestation Native in my kit. Despite build issues, the trio of 3-octave synths Korg released was innovative, especially with the WS and the more approachable form of FM in the Opsix. With those, Roland's impressive Jupiter Xm and Yamaha's MODX, a thousand bucks +/- has never bought more. You can quintuple that or more in software.

One other small point: the synthesizer market is finite and WEIRD, so its a bit hard to discuss in traditional terms. The business algorithm will always have a Chaos factor. So will I, TBH. That's music for you. :keys:       

• Like 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I think Korg has the IP.  Yes some of it needs to be revisited, updated with most current modeling techniques perhaps.  But even their legacy sound engines, sample libraries and fx are pretty extensive.  And they have this all running on various hardware - Intel, ARM, Apple Silicon, Rasberry Pi, Win, Linux, Win, macOS/iOS.  

What they need to do is build a flagship that sells again.  They proved they are capable of capturing “vibe” with their SV and Vox boards.  Get back to the drawing board on user interface and features people want.  It’s not hard for them get it to dealers below the price of Nord Stage 4.   

9 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

It’s probably time for them to release a Kronos 3.  Has to be a better idea than incrementally adding what’s missing to the Nautilus. 😉

The parts aren't available to build them anymore and they aren't licensing KARMA anymore either.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

11 minutes ago, jeffincltnc said:

The parts aren't available to build them anymore and they aren't licensing KARMA anymore either.

That’s unfortunate.  As is the probability that discretionary funds for MI (and many other things) are going to slump again as economies contract with rising interest rates.  In some ways, the world is rapidly changing, and in others it’s the same cycle over and over again.  

There may not be a 'Kronos 3'. Nautilus - with a remote function-control device (Nano, or otherwise) -  may be it for this particular family of digital keyboards; especially now that the Nautilus has AT. But no doubt we'll see the Kronos/Nautilus nine engines in play for future instruments. Thinking Korg might go a slightly different direction for their next 'big thing'.  With latest CP, YCs and now CKs Yamaha appears to be challenging Nord, yet without a strong VA onboard.  Wondering if that's where Korg might head, especially with the KingKorg discontinued. And look what Arturia's now doing with the 'Freak series, especially with a genuine 2-pole analog filter as a choice.  Imagine a full-size 'Freak-type keyboard that includes lots of front-panel control and several of the Kronos engines.  I'd like to see Korg be adventurous in that way. 

Meanwhile my Nautilus 61 - updated with AT - will be a potent combination with the MiniFeak, especially when used as a 61-key controller. 

16 minutes ago, allan_evett said:

There may not be a 'Kronos 3'. Nautilus - with a remote function-control device (Nano, or otherwise) -  may be it for this particular family of digital keyboards; especially now that the Nautilus has AT. But no doubt we'll see the Kronos/Nautilus nine engines in play for future instruments. Thinking Korg might go a slightly different direction for their next 'big thing'.  With latest CP, YCs and now CKs Yamaha appears to be challenging Nord, yet without a strong VA onboard.  Wondering if that's where Korg might head, especially with the KingKorg discontinued. And look what Arturia's now doing with the 'Freak series, especially with a genuine 2-pole analog filter as a choice.  Imagine a full-size 'Freak-type keyboard that includes lots of front-panel control and several of the Kronos engines.  I'd like to see Korg be adventurous in that way. 

Meanwhile my Nautilus 61 - updated with AT - will be a potent combination with the MiniFeak, especially when used as a 61-key controller. 

Waiting for Yamaha’s trade marked AN-X engine.  A mirage?  We shall see.  They obviously need to stick it in the next YC.