Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clav sounds on iPad

I think the main contenders for clav on iPad are:

Korg Module (incl. the Organ & Clav Collection IAP)

Model D6

Pianoteq

Any thoughts about how they compare?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I like Korg clavs on my Grandstage; very dirty and sound well. They don't have the same bite on Module, but you can layer them and add effects so not bad at all. Haven’t tried the other options as the Korg(s) have them covered.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I can't offer any opinions on how they compare. I only have the Korg Module stock clav (I say "stock" only because I know I haven't purchased any "Organ and Clav Collection.") IMO it's passable at best, however we all know what opinions are like. Korg is pretty rare in offering an unrestricted demo period on sample packs  - a week, I think. Give it a shot & tell us what you think!

You get 10 Clavs with the IAP as well as a bunch of organs. I think its half price at the moment as well 🙂

IMG_2077.jpeg

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

30 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Looks more like one clav with ten different efx settings!

Yeah, one clav with different pickup presets (which is nice), plus one for muted (which is nice), plus a few with effect presets (which is cool, I guess).

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

Looks more like one clav with ten different efx settings!

There are only 4 basic sound in a Clavinet D6... shown there as CA, CB, DA, and DB. All others will be variants on one of the 4 basic sounds (in this case, the variants are mute bar and emulation of some external effects). The only other sound variations in the clav are filter/EQ switches, but if the IAP works like the stock clav sounds, all those variations are available for all the clav sounds on the clav edit screen, so they are probably all emulated here as well. {ETA: A video confirms the IAP does have the full clav interface, so yes, you can get all the EQ variants, and you can also change any of the four base sounds to any of the others, so you can use one of the effect presets with a different one of the four basic sounds, which are actually pickup settings, BTW.}

Irritatingly (to me), many boards and apps with clav sounds don't even have those four basic sounds in them. I don't think any Yamaha or Roland board has them.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

8 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

There are only 4 basic sound in a Clavinet D6... shown there as CA, CB, DA, and DB. All others will be variants on one of the 4 basic sounds (in this case, the variants are mute bar and emulation of some external effects). The only other sound variations in the clav are filter/EQ switches, but if the IAP works like the stock clav sounds, all those variations are available for all the clav sounds on the clav edit screen, so they are probably all emulated here as well.

Irritatingly (to me), many boards and apps with clav sounds don't even have those four basic sounds in them. I don't think any Yamaha or Roland board has them.

I just sold my YC61 and annoyingly, it only had one or two of those as you mention. Yamaha announced that they recently fully sampled a clav so maybe in the future..

• Like 2

What about the Apple Clav included in GarageBand (and I presume, Logic)? I guess it's similar or the same as EVD6.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

It's so whack. I'm embarrassed to admit, my first exposure to clavs for years had been through sampled instruments, and it wasn't until I got the Korg app that I knew about the 4 pickups!

4 minutes ago, Joe Muscara said:

What about the Apple Clav included in GarageBand (and I presume, Logic)? I guess it's similar or the same as EVD6.

Useless to me because GarageBand doesn't play well with others. If you're using GarageBand, you can't play sounds from any app other than GarageBand, because GarageBand responds to all MIDI input and will play even when you're trying to play some non-GB sound instead. So unfortunately you can't really use GB in live performance, unless it is the only MIDI app you want to run. Really, the entire MIDI implementation of GB is pretty useless. The drawbars don't recognize external MIDI control, I don't think you can change sounds with MIDI Program Change...

4 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I think the main contenders for clav on iPad are:

Korg Module (incl. the Organ & Clav Collection IAP)

Model D6

Pianoteq

Model D6 shines, same Clav as Mojo 61 and Gemini, there are plenty of examples online, also you can download the Desktop demo to try yourself

• Like 1

In a youtube video I saw, I actually didn't like the clavs in Module's Organ & Clav collection as much as the clavs that Module already has. I guess they serve different needs.

I just did a jam session and the hosting musician had a D6.  We ran the D6 through my mixer/monitor and did a compare against the Gemini's D6 emulation which has all of the filters, pickups and damper.  The gemini was slightly brighter (which is what I generally find with any digital emulation of an analog instrument) but otherwise pretty much spot on soundwise for every setting.  The damper was nearly perfect.

• Like 2

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I haven’t tried it, but I would always assume GSI would have the most authentic Clav of the three mentioned in the op. Can’t wait till they release an EP-only app. 

Here for the gear.

GSi Clav is my favourite but the iPad version doesn’t have all the effefts available in the Gemini module. For example you get Auto Wah but no option for Pedal  Wah.

The stock Korg Module Clav is pretty good and it has a nice interface. Also has adjustable release noise too. Still think that App has an inherent latency issue. But it’s only when you layer stuff - for example with layered Piano and Rhodes from a Nord. Even on 64 fastest setting it just seems to lag - tiny amount but i can feel it.

Roland do provide samples of all the pick up positions but in the case of the RD88 you have to download the EXZ expansion to get them. Don’t know about other Roland models.

On 7/8/2023 at 2:22 PM, jerrythek said:

The only issue with the GSI clavs (as has been discussed here before) is that the lowest note is limited to F. It's a pedantic allegiance to the mechanical instrument that shouldn't be adhered to in this day and age!

Agree.  He actually does it with all electromechanical instruments (clav, organ, wurli).  Our band (for vocal purposes) tunes down so i cant even get the low F because of the tune down coupled with the sticking to this allegiance.

• Annoyed 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band