Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos 3 with wavestate and opsix engines added

Yamaha has been sitting on Montage and trickling down its sounds and engines to MODX then MODX+ waiting for the market to improve.  Where is the rumored ANX engine?  Not in the CKs.  

I don’t think Nord had much of a choice, they had to get a Stage 4 out. 

Kurzweil did roll out a K2700, but at the same time PC4 is perhaps the most affordable PC they’ve ever put out (with plastic build cheaper action).    

Korg seemingly ditched its flagship Kronos and made its Nautilus a more affordable variant.  Are they selling?  I’ve no idea.  

Roland Juno and Jupiter X.  Are they selling.  Again, I don’t know.  But I believe the Fantom is their flagship.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 hours ago, timwat said:

Didn't Korg play that same endgame in 2005 vs. Spassky? I think at that time they called it Oasys.

When that thing came out, I was banished to the back yard to howl and claw at the turf until my GAS subsided. I wonder how many people still have one of those doing service in their rigs? You sure don't see them out and about often. Beautiful beast of a synth.

If Korg crammed those synths into a Kronos-type frame, the inevitable complaints would arise about the hefty price tag it would command. Jaw-dropping magic just isn't good enough for some people. :wacko::D

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

17 minutes ago, David Emm said:

When that thing came out, I was banished to the back yard to howl and claw at the turf until my GAS subsided. I wonder how many people still have one of those doing service in their rigs? You sure don't see them out and about often. Beautiful beast of a synth.

If Korg crammed those synths into a Kronos-type frame, the inevitable complaints would arise about the hefty price tag it would command. Jaw-dropping magic just isn't good enough for some people. :wacko::D

I knew a guy with one, it eventually wound up in his son’s hands.  Who in turn traded it in for a synth or three but I can’t remember which.  

i also recall there was an Oasys on a PCI card.  

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

i also recall there was an Oasys on a PCI card.  

That was a predecessor to the keyboard, and the engines, effects etc. were pretty different. A cool product, but not really an “Oasys on a card” as relates to the keyboard. In some ways it was cooler, though. Read a listing of the 25(!) algorithms here.

10 hours ago, David Emm said:

I had OASYS serial number 34 (76 keys). I played it for 9 years as basically my only board. What an amazing machine at the time! Sadly, it died when I put it in a box truck to travel to a show across country, and the CPU heatsink broke off and shorted something out when I next powered it up. I had picked up a Kronos in 2013 as another board, knowing that I might be pushing my luck depending on a 9 year old computer, and then a second Kronos 2 in 2015. 

The Kronos was better than the OASYS in a lot of ways, but not build quality or control surface. Lately I have been primarily using my Fantom 7 because of the lighted faders and endless knobs which get used a lot in my style of playing, but there are holes in the Fantom software - especially a really poor internal timing system where LFOs don’t sync to system time.

What Roland gets right on the Fantom:

- Physical control surface

- Fully populated effects engine - you can use all 16 parts in a Scene/Combi and they always sound the same as in part mode (The Kronos system of IFX is great, but 12 wasn’t enough)

- modern capacitive swipey screen

- VPiano

What Korg got right on the Kronos:

- Raw power

- CX3 - far better than other organs on workstations at the time

- RPR/audio/sequencer stuff (thinking from a performance standpoint - I wouldn’t want to create a sequence on any keyboard screen)

- Competent implementation of everything (I won’t argue about the GUI challenges - that’s real, but if you could find the button everything worked)

- Rock solid reliability

I know there are dozens of wish lists for a new Kronos. I am actually happy with how the current Kronos sounds (other than the internal piano - I don’t love that), so Wavestate/Opsix wouldn’t be the draw for me, necessarily. Most of my wish list items relate to things like more polyphony, more effects blocks, bringing back the lights on faders and knobs, software improvements like more program and combi slots. I don’t know if Korg (or anybody) would ever try to release the equivalent of an $8000 keyboard today, but if I’d be first in line if it brought back some of the luxury of the OASYS. Moving faders would be unbelievable! 

5 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Educate me: how is an "opsix engine" different from [to, than] 6-operator FM? Which is already in the Kronos?

Cheers, Mike.

You could start with the fact it offers 21 waveforms, and a host of filter types. But for me the biggest expansion of FM that it provides are the Operator Modes.  This video explains them well:

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the sake of grins and giggles, *if* Korg included every engine (Wavestate, Opsix, Modwave, Prologue SDK, Volca, etc.) in this unicorn Kronos 3...

My question is how much difference would it make in terms of sound design especially considering the Kronos interface and programming it was never a sound designers wet dream. 

There's already a boatload of sounds in the Kronos.  So, I'm just wondering how many variations on a string synth programmers and sound designers would come up with using a UFO Kronos 3. 

If this mermaid Kronos 3 is merely going to be used as a *newer* ROMpler....drop back 10 and punt.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

6 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Educate me: how is an "opsix engine" different from [to, than] 6-operator FM? Which is already in the Kronos?

Cheers, Mike.

What Korg has done done on opsix is reimagine how we interact with FM synthesis engine in real-time.  Both MOD7 on Kronos and opsix can of course sound like a DX7. Both are easier to program than a DX7. Both have some capabilities that go beyond the DX7.  MOD7 notably can use pcm waveforms and user samples as modulator or oscillator. But again the biggest difference between opsix and other hardware incarnations of FM is the interface. Direct tactile control of FM synth parameters with a screen. Put it on Kronos with a larger screen, even easier to get around.  

46 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

What Korg has done done on opsix is reimagine how we interact with FM synthesis engine in real-time.  Both MOD7 on Kronos and opsix can of course sound like a DX7. Both are easier to program than a DX7. Both have some capabilities that go beyond the DX7.  MOD7 notably can use pcm waveforms and user samples as modulator or oscillator. But again the biggest difference between opsix and other hardware incarnations of FM is the interface. Direct tactile control of FM synth parameters with a screen. Put it on Kronos with a larger screen, even easier to get around.  

While I guess that is true of the MOD-7 in that you have a bigger screen with graphical "connections", but even as a "Korg guy" I'd say that the MOD-7 is pretty darn deep, and not the easiest engine to program unless you know what you're doing. "With great power comes great..."... you know the quote.

:hider:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

For those who don't want to - or really can't - wait for this imaginary Kronos model to be released,  Korg has the plugin versions of Opsix, Wavestate, and Modwave on sale for $99 each.

In that respect you can get a lot of Korg’s stuff in software and run it on your own hardware.  Which is a nice alternative.   And they don’t seem to have gone subscription like Roland.  Unless I missed that.  

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

In that respect you can get a lot of Korg’s stuff in software and run it on your own hardware.  Which is a nice alternative.   And they don’t seem to have gone subscription like Roland.  Unless I missed that.  

Nope, onesie and doneso! Korg's VST game is so on point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

No subscription.

I could have just started a new thread to let folks know about the Korg plugin deals but this one seemed apropos.

I bought Opsix Native for the $50 special price they give to customers who buy the hardware Opsix.

5 hours ago, jerrythek said:

You could start with the fact it offers 21 waveforms, and a host of filter types. But for me the biggest expansion of FM that it provides are the Operator Modes.  This video explains them well:

Jerry

The Op-Six also has a user definable algorithm.  Does the FM engine in the Kronos have that?