Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where's the Wurly recreation?

I had a Wurly in the early 70's. Don't remember the model anymore. Loved that thing. Lost it in the divorce. I'm sure she never appreciated what she had. Probably ended up on the scrap heap. Such a shame. But I love the Wurly sound in my Nord 5D. Not perfect, but satisfying. I use it all the time instead of Rhodes sound. Have to load in the new Stockholm Rhodes sound though. Might finally be on a par with Wurly for vintage sound. 

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Digital acoustic pianos have proven a market exists for replicas of acoustic pianos.  Obvious benefits that have been touted for many generations of instruments include - little to no maintenance and  less susceptible to temperature/humidity. The downside is the lifespan of electrical components, limitations of realism based on available technology and the rate at which tech improves leaving previous models obsolete.  

I can see reasons why players might want a purist’s digital recreation of a mechanical instrument like a Rhodes or Wurly (purist meaning it’s built to look and play like the original, the user interface is the same. it has great samples or physical modeling taken from the original).   Digital also means it can provide models of the signature FX and even simulate the amplifiers typically used.  Save and recall of patches is a huge improvement over the originals.  But obsolescence with any digital instrument is a factor to consider.  But so  is maintenances and upkeep of the “real thing”.  

Practicality for gigging however, always comes back to instruments like Workstations or  Nord Stage, Yamaha YC/CP, Korg SV2.  Because how often do you play Wurly all night?  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I had a model 102 (I think) in the '80s, picked up for $100 somewhere.   I liked its sound much more than that of the Fender Rhodes. 

Unfortunately, although its action was wonderful, the actual sound engine was extremely fragile -- a .2mm piece of solder that had been filed off for tuning could wreak havoc on the capacitive pickup.  The electromechanical innards of the Rhodes and B3, in contrast, can take a lickin' and keep on ticken'.

I don't think the Wurlitzer architecture can compete with today's electronics.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Tom, the early ones were 100, 110, 112, 120 ("What'd I Say" model). The earlier the number the more delicate. By the time they got to the plastic topped ones (200/200a), they were pretty road worthy - although tuning the reeds is no fun. 

On 6/26/2023 at 8:52 AM, mate stubb said:

Horrors! You would be replacing the best thing about the Wurlie with the worst thing about the Rhodes. :nono:

You guys have set me straight plenty of times over the years, that's why I like this place :cheers:

Just gonna wait for Richie (or Bueller) to casually re-invent the action...

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 3:49 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

I can see reasons why players might want a purist’s digital recreation of a mechanical instrument like a Rhodes or Wurly (purist meaning it’s built to look and play like the original, the user interface is the same. it has great samples or physical modeling taken from the original).

I believe Crumar and Vintage Vibe and now Rhodes UK are providing that instrument with the YMMV caveat and price tag to match.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Might be difficult to market at this point. Trademark trolls have acquired the Wurlitzer trademark after Gibson abandoned it by doing nothing with it for decades. The new trademark holders are threatening to sue anyone who even mentions "Wurlitzer" unless they are paid a licensing fee - total trolls, they have no products and no intention of releasing products, definition of trademark abuse at its finest. I think this will likely deter anyone from making Wurli or Wurli-like products for the foreseeable future.

• Annoyed 1

3 hours ago, adammonroe said:

Might be difficult to market at this point. Trademark trolls have acquired the Wurlitzer trademark after Gibson abandoned it by doing nothing with it for decades. The new trademark holders are threatening to sue anyone who even mentions "Wurlitzer" unless they are paid a licensing fee - total trolls, they have no products and no intention of releasing products, definition of trademark abuse at its finest. I think this will likely deter anyone from making Wurli or Wurli-like products for the foreseeable future.

Scumbags.

Equally Vintage Vibe have done great things without owning the Rhodes trademark. But as mentioned above, is there a market for one of these now? I'm not so sure.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 8:32 PM, MAJUSCULE said:

My thinking is that the Wurly is generally considered a simpler instrument than a Rhodes,

Back in the day when the choice was Rhodes or Wurly, the Wurly worked better in a rock band live because it cut through more. The Rhodes was quieter, subtler and much more expressive but often got lost in the mix.

• Like 1

As a fellow Wurli aficionado -- I haven't been quiet around here that I gigged mine hard up until the pandemic -- I really feel this. Even a decade ago when I was lusting after one, the prices felt out of reach, and I was lucky that my now-wife staged a Birthday Expedition to find a good deal on one that was in storage about two hours from me. eBay had them going for above $2k US without legs or pedal; it was incredible in 2015 to find one in quite good shape for $1200 *including* legs, pedal, and a road case! I lucked out. Nearly ten years later, the financial squeeze is on us all for everything, including vintage instruments.

I learned from experience the things the older folks have all said: the tuning is fiddly, the electronics are sensitive, the action is complex (which is what makes it perfect), and the sound is unmatched. I'm lucky to have a good tech reasonably close by, but it definitely requires more investment of time, money, and effort to gig than my Nord Electro. So, since assembling a home studio, and reducing my willingness to cause myself physical pain in the service of music, I've mostly retired it from live shows. But I'll tell you what -- I absolutely love playing Rhodes on my CP88, but the Wurli, while it sounds great, is definitely not the real thing. In a perfect world where someone else moves and maintains my shit for me, I'd always have a real one at the ready (next to the B3, clav, Moog, and Yamaha grand, OBVIOUSLY).

I'd certainly be interested if a company developed a Vintage Vibe-style modern electromechanical reed piano, cutting down some weight, making the tuning a little simpler, the amp less noisy, basically perfecting the designs that were abandoned in favor of digital tech. I understand this is impractical and expensive in the world we live in, much like purchasing a vintage instrument.

Then again, I've acquired some of my most beloved musical toys because some old timer (or their family) looked kindly on me and wanted an unwieldy item to go to someone who would appreciate it. I wish this for you very much!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

• 7 months later...

I bought a Valente just under a year ago. It isn't a Wurly, though tonally it isn't a million miles away - more like a cross between a Wurly and a 1960s sparkle-top Rhodes. It actually has a good dynamic range, though the feel of the action is a bit odd.

The action is a modified 61-key (C to C) version of FATAR's TP100 digital piano keybed, with the dummy hammers activating small hammers that strike the reeds from above over a short distance, and dampers below the reeds.

There is a "dead zone" at very low velocities, so you need a firm and positive touch to get the notes to sound. Above that, there is a good tonal range, with a distinct bark at high velocities. With very high velocities, notes tend to choke in a Rhodes-like way, but it is easy to avoid. Because of the short strike distance, reed damage is very unlikely. The upper three octaves have a bit of a bell-like tone; more than a Wurly, but not like a Rhodes, and of course the notes sustain less. The pickups use neodymium magnets, are passive and are completely silent. There is a sustain pedal activated by a rigid pull-rod.

Key Magic Inc no longer distributes the Valente (I was fortunate to get mine when I did), but Tiago Valente still makes the pianos to order in Brazil, and is working on improvements and updates to his design.

Here is a recent recording. All noises by me:

https://on.soundcloud.com/H68uo

"Communication is everything"