Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2023: CP4 instead of CP88?

Didn't know where to put this, but how feasible is it to put a keyboard into a gig bag that has smaller dimensions? Specifically, I have a CP88 soft case with the following dimensions (this might include some very easily removable insert pillows that are velcroed on the internal sides):

image.png.cc37c6b64262459f6aed4978a6231763.png

And the CP4 dimensions:

image.png.5c6f1f9b6ecabf18cf39804de3b6d2a0.png

Just looking at the internal, it looks the width (using the CP4's definition) is about an inch short, and the height is about a half-inch too short. The case isn't super rigid so it could potentially stretch a little to accommodate.

5 hours ago, CHarrell said:

Didn't know where to put this, but how feasible is it to put a keyboard into a gig bag that has smaller dimensions? Specifically, I have a CP88 soft case with the following dimensions (this might include some very easily removable insert pillows that are velcroed on the internal sides):

image.png.cc37c6b64262459f6aed4978a6231763.png

And the CP4 dimensions:

image.png.5c6f1f9b6ecabf18cf39804de3b6d2a0.png

Just looking at the internal, it looks the width (using the CP4's definition) is about an inch short, and the height is about a half-inch too short. The case isn't super rigid so it could potentially stretch a little to accommodate.

The height might close.  The length - that’s a hit or miss.  You won’t know till you attempt it. 

On the up side it’s easy to sell cases, especially ones that fit models in common use.  Players are always looking to pay less than new for a case and shops that buy/trade gear know this.  They’d be happy to take it off your hands, especially if you buy the new case from them.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Bought a CP4 for about $750 incl tax and shipping! It's gonna need repairs, but I got a local quote and the repairs will most likely still keep just under $1000 total, with perhaps a stronger guarantee of a longer shelf life than if I bought a more expensive one in better shape and declined to have it worked on. The hardest part is gonna be the waiting.

1 hour ago, CHarrell said:

Bought a CP4 for about $750 incl tax and shipping! It's gonna need repairs, but I got a local quote and the repairs will most likely still keep just under $1000 total, with perhaps a stronger guarantee of a longer shelf life than if I bought a more expensive one in better shape and declined to have it worked on. The hardest part is gonna be the waiting.

What does it need some key replacement?

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

What does it need some key replacement?

Sounds like it needs either a rubber contact strip cleaning or replacement, maybe one key replacement, and a new fader knob. The music desk socket is busted too but I don't usually use those anyways.

The CP88 + RCF TT-08A mk2s + JMK Audio JM-110  were all singin' in tandem last night for the Public Counsel's William O. Douglas Award at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills.

Encore did the sound/ production and both FOH and monitor mix gave the piano sound as one of the best they'd ever worked with. FOH guy said "exemplary". They said, you guys are making our job too easy, we don't have to do anything.

Honoring a special guest and John Coltrane fan. She requested "Equinox", we played it twice. She also asked for  "Mr. PC" and "Blue Bossa". :cool:

A side-- our Sax player, the Great Dale Fielder, just had triple by-pass surgery only two weeks ago. He sat out on some tunes as his energy was sagging and he could feel the stitches being stressed when he blew too hard. But overall, man what a trooper and memorable night ! 

CP88 at Pelosi 2 25 24.jpg

4E162461-88B2-4704-8A5D-A45674886049_1_201_a.jpeg

Pelosi CP88 Trio shot.jpg

Dale Bill & Michael Pelosi.jpg

Dale Bill me Pelosi gig.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Last tune of a very long but memorable evening!  Around a thousand people were filing out of the ballroom and many were getting up onstage having their photos taken with guest of honor. At 83, she must've been exhausted!

Apologies for having to view my mug the whole time but there was nowhere else to set my phone. At least you can hear the CP88, that's all that matters anyway. :laugh:  :thu: :cool: 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

Last tune of a very long but memorable evening!  People were filing out of the ballroom and getting up onstage having their photos taken with guest of honor.

Apologies for having to view my mug the whole time but there was nowhere else to set my phone. At least you can hear the CP88, that's all that matters anyway. :laugh:  :thu: :cool: 

Of course your ideas make it sing Dave, but yes, the CFX sounds very good in this setting.  Are we benefiting from your two monitors on poles setup?  The RCFs?  

Thanks appreciated ! No I've taken a cue from Reezekeys' and Al Quinn's modus operandi the last 9 months or so.

The 16" folding steps. RCFs sit perfectly on them and sounds great ! No ear fatigue for anyone.

https://www.amazon.com/Acko-Inches-Folding-Kitchen-Stepping/dp/B01MA0N1P3

• Like 1

My CP4 is arriving today, I'm so excited!!! ...I just hope FedEx drops it off and doesn't miss the delivery because I'm not at home to sign for it. It's an 80something lb package so I do NOT want to pick it up from a FedEx location! 😅 The shipper sold it in a Road Runner hard case because he didn't feel comfortable shipping it otherwise--I've never seen more restrictive shipping on a "gigging" instrument. So many people selling a CP4 right now either refuse to ship it outright, or place limitations on where they'll ship it to. For example, there's a CP4 in great condition being sold online right now, and for a great price, but the catch: they won't ship it to Pacific time zone! This makes me a little nervous about the CP4's build quality, but I've been consoling myself by reminding myself that some of y'all have been gigging or had gigged with the CP4 for years without apparent issue.

• Like 1

As I expected (and desperately hoped), the FedEx driver probably didn't want to deal with having to move that package anymore than they needed to, so they just left it at my place.

First impressions: this was definitely a well loved and much used board! Several scuffs, nothing major. Before I purchased it, I knew there would be a couple bum keys: they work, but they feel like they're offset or something, loose and very clacky. There are also a few that just feel clacky from a lot of use. Initially this was very offputting, I wasn't expecting it to psychologically affect me as much it did (walking on dandelions trying to avoid undue emphasis on some of these keys, as if I was playing a crusty house upright), but after a while, I began to acclimate and just start having fun. 

The EPs I'm struggling to make sound full-bodied, especially in the mid to upper registers, and I notice some of the acoustic piano voices weakening in that treble range too, but overall it sounds better than I remembered.

I'd be very curious to see how I feel after this board gets its repair work done, but I have a gig in a couple of weeks and don't have a board to use in the meantime, so I think I'm just gonna rough it for a bit.

On 3/4/2024 at 1:44 PM, CHarrell said:

My CP4 is arriving today, I'm so excited!!! ...I just hope FedEx drops it off and doesn't miss the delivery because I'm not at home to sign for it. It's an 80something lb package so I do NOT want to pick it up from a FedEx location! 😅 The shipper sold it in a Road Runner hard case because he didn't feel comfortable shipping it otherwise--I've never seen more restrictive shipping on a "gigging" instrument. So many people selling a CP4 right now either refuse to ship it outright, or place limitations on where they'll ship it to. For example, there's a CP4 in great condition being sold online right now, and for a great price, but the catch: they won't ship it to Pacific time zone! This makes me a little nervous about the CP4's build quality, but I've been consoling myself by reminding myself that some of y'all have been gigging or had gigged with the CP4 for years without apparent issue.

88k weighted key instruments are most expensive to ship, are of the highest value (shipping insurance), and are most prone to damage during shipping due to weight and moving parts.  If the seller doesn't have the original packing then it is best to ship it in a keyboard case.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

As I expected (and desperately hoped), the FedEx driver probably didn't want to deal with having to move that package anymore than they needed to, so they just left it at my place.

First impressions: this was definitely a well loved and much used board! Several scuffs, nothing major. Before I purchased it, I knew there would be a couple bum keys: they work, but they feel like they're offset or something, loose and very clacky. There are also a few that just feel clacky from a lot of use. Initially this was very offputting, I wasn't expecting it to psychologically affect me as much it did (walking on dandelions trying to avoid undue emphasis on some of these keys, as if I was playing a crusty house upright), but after a while, I began to acclimate and just start having fun. 

The EPs I'm struggling to make sound full-bodied, especially in the mid to upper registers, and I notice some of the acoustic piano voices weakening in that treble range too, but overall it sounds better than I remembered.

I'd be very curious to see how I feel after this board gets its repair work done, but I have a gig in a couple of weeks and don't have a board to use in the meantime, so I think I'm just gonna rough it for a bit.

If it is just key replacement - this is a relatively simple job after the repair person has gotten inside the CP4.  However, if there is more damage than just the key it will take additional parts and labor time.  

Just now, ElmerJFudd said:

If it is just key replacement - this is a relatively simple job after the repair person has gotten inside the CP4.  However, if there is more damage than just the key it will take additional parts and labor time.  

Right, that's what the technician told me when I asked for a quote and estimate. However, there aren't too many repair shops here so they have a huge backlog. Sounds like I would be waiting for at least 3 weeks for the repair.

1 minute ago, CHarrell said:

Right, that's what the technician told me when I asked for a quote and estimate. However, there aren't too many repair shops here so they have a huge backlog. Sounds like I would be waiting for at least 3 weeks for the repair.

The good thing about Yamaha is that they have certified repair shops all over the place, getting parts is typically not an issue for them.  But sometimes they do have to wait for shipment from Asia.  

This CP4 has been posted on and off for a few years. I know you're all set. It has been MIA, since you've posted your desire to own one. 

Anyway, seller probably didn't want to ship it.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/d/chelsea-yamaha-cp4-88-key-stage-piano/7722133592.html

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to post updates! Had my first gig with the CP4 this past weekend! It fit perfectly into my CP88 soft case, which was a big relief. 

Even with the flaws I mentioned, the CP4 acquitted itself pretty well! I had issues balancing a layer between a 75RD and CFIII patch, as the piano was waaaay hotter. The EPs sound a little weak to me unless they're tweaked in just the right way--and even then I was having issues with it dying in the upper register--but as a piano layer it gives excellent body to the sound. I had to pre-coordinate all of this more than I was used to, but when the music was going, I was just having fun and everyone loved the performance.

Still debating whether to bring this in for repair or sell it as-is to recoup and get a cheaper and lighter board--I want to re-evaluate an RD300SX I saw at a local store for an amazingly good deal that would cost a fraction of what I paid for the CP4. But I'm definitely seeing the appeal of the CP4 that has won over so many musicians on here.

Seems like I've seen CP4s on Guitar Center's used site at pretty low prices--filtering for "Great" and "Excellent" conditions--but last I checked they were up there (maybe at a fair price still though).  The CP5 is low but that's a lot older.

26 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Seems like I've seen CP4s on Guitar Center's used site at pretty low prices--filtering for "Great" and "Excellent" conditions--but last I checked they were up there (maybe at a fair price still though).  The CP5 is low but that's a lot older.

There's the one I saw at my local GC, it's one of if not the most expensive CP4 listing they have, listed in "Great" condition. But as I explained in an earlier post, this "Great" CP4 has worn-down contacts up the wazoo, resulting in a lot of different keys with consistently random velocity spikes. I channeled my Karen powers and even called them to report the issue, and that it was inaccurate for them to list it as great when the issue makes it damn near unusable, regardless of how pretty it looks. They said they would change it and reduce the price accordingly...about a month later and they still have it at that ridiculous price, in "Great" condition. So my faith in their ability to accurately describe the product they're selling is pretty low.

The irony is that the busted-up one I got for half that price, after a repair job, would function better than the one they're selling, and still hundreds of dollars cheaper.  

Oh, no doubt.  My last used purchase from them was an "excellent" Epiphone les paul at a fantastic (even for used) price.   The dude at that store when I called--and I always call-said "it looked like it has never been played."

At first, I thought "he was right!"  It looked less scuffed than the new ones they hang up.  Then I brought it over to our guitarist and he quickly pointed out a few things.  One I should have seen--a tuner was not on straight and in fact was kind of hanging from the headstock if you pushed it the right way.  He opened the pickups (fine) and the switch cavity (not fine at all, one was screwed in weird and causing rubbing on the body.)  The neck needed major adjustment.  The nut actually came out when he was testing the neck, and wasn't cut well.    Back the guitar went, though I didn't get my $23 shipping and I was pissed.  I probably will not be using them anymore for used stuff, if flaws in an "excellent" instrument (which was ridiculous) don't warrant a shipping refund.

Ended up with an on-sale PRS from Sweetwater and despite trepidation for another shipped sight-unseen guitar, that thing was FLAWLESS.  My guitarist went bananas over it, though he said he might lower the action a tad for himself.   All's well that ends well.   

• Like 1

I recently came across a CP4 used in the same shop as Roland FP30 x and FP90x. I don't want to come across as a Yamaha hater but the CP4 was much brighter overall than either Roland.Which might be your cup of tea but not mine . What I did hear recently was the new Montage.....Montage X is it?. The Yamaha edginess is gone from this sample....it didn't have those un natural upper harmonics that so many digitals have. I don't suppose there is a lighter weight stage piano with the new Montage sample...?  That would be something to pursue.