Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If the forum goes belly up what alternatives can we create?

I can do a Facebook group for those who frequent this board. I already know Caev on Facebook as well as a few others like Skip from this board. Let ma know any of you who would like to participate. It can be members only group or open to the public group.

• Like 3

FWIW - 

MPN is not in any immediate danger of going “belly up”.  I wouldn’t spring something like that on the community.  I’m just being a chess player and looking down the board as far as I can, and trying to get a gauge on whether any of the folks who frequent the site are interested in getting involved/being part of the solution to provide the resources we need.

Frankly, over the past few years since I took over MPN, it’s been suggested to me more then once to ask the current forumites if they want to help…but I’ve been trying to avoid that for several reasons - mainly that I wanted to preserve a pure user experience for the folks that come here; however, the best current solutions to bring in the revenue we need seem to all involve some sort of advertising, so before I turn to a different model than what we’ve been doing and then have people bust me for not asking the community for help first, I figured it was a good time to talk about the situation.

For the record: I did ask the moderators at the time I took over to help me try and get the advertiser thing going.  Doing that is the main thing that made brother A String stomp out of here the way he did.  In a nutshell, he believed we were taking in way more $$$ than I was saying.  He also objected to not being paid more given the amount of effort he put into this place, and didn’t react well to being asked to help sell ads to bring in revenue.  This also factored in to my not wanting to reach out to other members.  Craig was a strong presence here, and I’m still bummed that he reacted the way he did. 😟

Regardless, if anything happens to MPN, I promise that everyone will have plenty of notice….but right now, we’re not going anywhere. 😎

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks to all y’all for continuing to spend your valuable time here.  That’s really the core of what makes this place such an enjoyable hang. ☺️

dB

• Like 3
  • Love 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

6 hours ago, desertbluesman said:

I can do a Facebook group for those who frequent this board. I already know Caev on Facebook as well as a few others like Skip from this board. Let ma know any of you who would like to participate. It can be members only group or open to the public group.

Isn't that already in existence on Facebook, dbm (Dave)? Didn't you make me a 'moderator' or the like, which I sheepishly admit I really didn't do much with?

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

4 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Isn't that already in existence on Facebook, dbm (Dave)?

Yessir.. Just click the Facebook logo at the very bottom of any page here on MPN, or search Music Player Network on FB.

4 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Didn't you make me a 'moderator' or the like, which I sheepishly admit I really didn't do much with?

I think so, but I don’t remember.  TBH, I don’t do much with it either.  I’m nowhere near as good at social media promotion as I’d like to be… :hider:

dB

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IMMusicRulz said:

How about we archive some of the posts on MPN, if we haven’t already? That way, it won’t be lost forever

Everything on MPN is archived, sure…but not in a format that’s easy to search or read.  You’d need some kind of forum platform (like the Invision one we use) to do that.

dB

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Isn't that already in existence on Facebook, dbm (Dave)? Didn't you make me a 'moderator' or the like, which I sheepishly admit I really didn't do much with?

We did do a group back a while ago Caev. But I think we decided it was not at all as easy or popular as the forum boards. So we deleted that group. I can't find it on FB or on my computer anymore

• Like 1

Just now, Larryz said:

@desertbluesman et al, I've never been on Facebook, Twitter and the like.  I doubt I would sign up if MPN closes down, but would look into FB if that's the only way to stay in touch...:cheers:

It would be OK you don't have to do all of Facebook just the group. But so far no decision is made on how to continue MPN/Guitar Player. So no rush.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 7:38 PM, desertbluesman said:

We did do a group back a while ago Caev. But I think we decided it was not at all as easy or popular as the forum boards. So we deleted that group. I can't find it on FB or on my computer anymore

I still have access to that group:

CLICK

• Like 1

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

On 6/26/2023 at 8:57 AM, desertbluesman said:

I can't get in with that link BiC.I guess it is a members only group, and I do not think I am still a member. Please have the moderator send me an invite.

The mods aren't identified. But, Caev did add a lot of folks. I do see that you created the group on Jan 8, 2016. Look under "Groups" on your Facebook and you should see it there unless you left the group at some point in time. BTW, the group is inactive. The last post was in August 2021. 

• Like 1

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7