Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Computer / Tablet screens and outdoor gigs

I just did a gig that was a one of show as part of a back up band for a high school themed concert. We're on a covered stage, but I'm to the far side of stage left. Sun is blaring in and I can't see my computer screen (I use a NUC running Gig Performer) or my iPad (it runs my charts and sends program changes to the NUC) . I managed to angle the iPad enough to barely see the charts, but it overheated like 4 times and shut down. Spent a decent amount of the show reading charts off my phone resting on my thigh. Between songs I'd have to get right up to the computer screen to select the next song's patch since the iPad want doing it. Uggh, I got thru it and nobody got hurt, but not so ideal. I posted about it on fb and a few suggested keeping spare iPads on ice in a cooler!  So... for those of you in similar situations... What's your solution for keeping them running and being able to see their screens? 

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Summer outdoor gigs can be a bitch on tech.  Heat is a problem, but direct sunlight is a killer.  

What you need is a sun shade for your iPad, it can also be used for your nuc as well.  

The problem is videographers and photographers want them sized up for landscape view.   Where for sheet music we want to see the portrait view. 

You can DYI one for yourself by scoring card stock paper.  Or cutting card stock and gaff taping it into the shape you need.  There are some how-to's on youtube. 

spacer.png

• Love 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If you have a few minutes, below is a link to a thread I started last year when the band I work with sound-checked in 104 degree heat and sun. The upshot is that I was saved by a very inexpensive item usually referred to as an "emergency blanket", which is a thin reflective mylar sheet:

Did I say inexpensive? How's $1.77? 🙂 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DYTTDO-Home-Spare-Silver-First-Aid-Insulation-Blanket-Waterproof-Sunscreen-Lifesaving-Emergency-Blanket-1PC-Cost-Saving-Great-Gifts-for-Family/2605420287

The only issue is how would you use this in your situation? In my case I just covered my keyboard with it and used some gaff tape to secure. With an iPad I think you'd need to fashion some kind of shade, then use double-sided tape or glue to apply the mylar to it. A shade will also help with the issue of sunlight washing out the screen. Got any DIY chops?

For my laptop, based on a youtube from a photographer detailing his DIY approach, I got myself this Ikea folding storage cube. It folds flat, which lets me put it in my keyboard case when we travel to outdoor dates in the summer: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/droena-box-white-00306270/#content. My plan was to cover the box with the mylar, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. It's white so might work as is (haven't needed it yet). Good luck - at least I'm not telling you to "keep spare iPads on ice in a cooler", lol... real helpful there! 🙂 

I use reflective materials they sell for throwing in your windshield when the car is parked in the sun. Is this is the same stuff?  

If so. Ya. This could also be cut and gaff taped into the shape you need to cover your NUC and iPad.   So shading and reflecting, sounds like a win to me.  

I also recall double bubble reflective insulation. 

spacer.png

I've had a hot gig, not even in direct sunlight, shut down my ipad.  Not sure if it's because it is an older 4th gen or not.  Direct sunlight will do it for sure, here in FL at any rate.

Looking at the pic from the other post, I'd have done whatever I could to not be out in the sun for hours.  Even if it meant setting up a beach umbrella or awning.  Thankfully we haven't had that happen very much, worst case is generally late afternoon sun sneaking under an overhead roof.  Skin cancer and heat exhaustion suck (I've experienced both, the latter playing tennis to the point where I probably should have gone to the hospital.)

Lucky for me a gig in the hot sun would kill me, so I make sure the knuckleheads in my band don't put me in that situation or at least get a late afternoon slot where the sun is heading down. It an argument I have everytime and they never learn to check deets unless I force the issue.

FunMachine.

Yeah, I'm in the same situation, I'm apparently the only one who minds.  I'm also the only one who wants details on the monitoring, load-in etc so I've started asking for contact info of the venue/organizer when I don't have the info I want.  

FL outdoor gigs do tend to be covered in my experience if for no other reason that it rains a lot...though it takes quite a large roof to save you from thunderstorms.  Btw, I found the perfect cover for keyboards--a grill cover!  Beats a tarp by miles.  Some others here on the forum also use these.

5 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

spacer.png

Built something similar for my PC3's screen which cant be seen in sunlight even if the sunlight comes in on a 45 degree angle.  i try to keep the keyboard shaded as much as possible with a cover and a fan when not in use.  So far I've been pretty lucky.  Heat/sunlight (and water) is a killer for electronics.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

8 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

Built something similar for my PC3's screen which cant be seen in sunlight even if the sunlight comes in on a 45 degree angle.  i try to keep the keyboard shaded as much as possible with a cover and a fan when not in use.  So far I've been pretty lucky.  Heat/sunlight (and water) is a killer for electronics.

Yeah, baking there in the down time is awful.