Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stereo Speaker/PA Placement

3 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

The TT08A cabinet design provides a different angle for each side. If I were using it as a floor monitor I would place it on the side with the steeper angle and in that position the sound would be directed toward my ears and the ceiling. But when using them behind me I place them on the side with the smaller angle and they just angle up slightly.

Thanks for explaining that. It figures those RCFs have that ability. BTW I heard of the "bolt" trick with the K8s but wasn't motivated to try it as having them on my footstools vertically seemed to be working for me.

My Alto TX308s have the "edge" letting you use them on the floor. I have them that way at home since they're directly in back of me and only need to get the sound to my ears (I keep the volume very low - that helps my ears and the sound quality of the speakers!).

25 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

That's pretty much what I do on solo gigs, here's a pic from a  few years ago:

rig.jpg.af02b3c5f8326ad21445558445478da0.jpg

a bit OT, but everyone should have at least two of those folding foot stools in your pic. they.are.invaluable.  i always keep 1 in my car.  did a NYC gig once where the piano player's x-stand totally broke.  two restaurant chairs, spaced apart, each with a stool on it saved the gig.  ;) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

image.png.7611d5fe1509f4b38439b8aa6043afeb.png

If the sound system is vocals only, I've set up like this with speakers on short stands and compression drivers above my ear. But I aim things straight out and stay in my lane to minimize volume creep. You may think the guitar player across the stage wants to hear your every note, but in reality all he wants to hear is himself. 

2 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Great point, but the gigs I do nowadays, we all want to hear each other! It wasn't always like that.

So much better, right? 
What’s the point of playing with other people if all I can hear is the drums and myself.  Or worse, the drums and I can’t hear myself.  I don’t care for those gigs at all. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560