Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Future of MPN?

Dave Bryce

Reading the last series of posts is exactly why I was a backend guy as a SysAdmin.   Designing, building, support server farms, replicated databases spread across the country and speed of light being a latency issues.   Writing all sorts of scripts to keep everything in sync and backed up.   All of that was better than coding and testing the frontend of websites for all the possible browsers and devices.    

I am so glad to be retired.   

Do you consistently use a specific browser?

Do you have your browser(s) set up to remember history?

Do you log out when you are finished with the forum?

Do you have the browser set up to automatically log you in?

Note: You have another odd setting that I do not see in other images of browser content here and I searched through my account settings and cannot replicate it.

Do you recall doing anything so you would be seeing every topic on the MPN forum, not just Keyboard Corner?

NOTE:  It is worth pointing out that you are only seeing Keyboard Corner content on your screen. "Showing topics on all  forums" should not be grouped by sub-forum and in order of most recently updated unless it is somehow sorted by choice. I know there is the Sort By option for recently updated but you still are getting your from Keyboard Corner first.

I have a small sized iPhone 8. It should break up the forum into at least as many pages as the larger models. Mine only takes up 1643 pages while yours is showing 4563 pages.  So you are definitely seeing Keyboard Corner content given priority.

Topics

"Showing topics from all forums"    <==

Start new topic

IMG_4119.thumb.png.4681b7c6116107a964d8e

49 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Note: You have another odd setting that I do not see in other images of browser content here and I searched through my account settings and cannot replicate it.

Do you recall doing anything so you would be seeing every topic on the MPN forum, not just Keyboard Corner?

Good catch, brother o0Ampy0o! :rocker:

I know where that toggle is.  

MOI has the forum in fluid mode.  Just push the button I have highlighted/am pointing at with the red arrow below, and that should fix the problem.  

dB

fluidmode.thumb.jpg.5748138d7c6e2fc1dd87836722ab19bd.jpg

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

3 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Again, apologies for kind of suggesting what’s not my business.  

No worries at all, my brother.  There’s a distinct difference between an unwanted intrusion and an attempt to share a different perspective.  I asked for help - you were just trying to accommodate that request by sharing your POV and your experience, which I most certainly appreciate.  

Cheers,

dB

Just sent through a $500 one-time donation for my part.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Wow! 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

On 6/6/2023 at 9:12 PM, MathOfInsects said:

I never give more than I meant just because someone plopped that number in front of me, and think the "buy as many one-dollar donations as you want" is the simplest option. 

Same here.  I just added one dollar to CART, then clicked on how many I wanted.  Perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Good catch, brother o0Ampy0o! :rocker:

I know where that toggle is.  

MOI has the forum in fluid mode.  Just push the button I have highlighted/am pointing at with the red arrow below, and that should fix the problem.  

dB

fluidmode.thumb.jpg.5748138d7c6e2fc1dd87836722ab19bd.jpg

Yessir, that switch changes my view to the one you showed. Good catch. 

Now, my reason for pointing that out wasn't to complain about the view (I like it this way), it was just to say that some of the options for asking for moola weren't going to be seen by some visitors (e.g., anyone whose forum experience matched mine). I think the text box addresses this fine, but was just wanting to let you know that some of the ways you've been relying on people getting bread onto the plate, weren't been seen by maybe as many people we might think, so accommodations for "my" mode would be or would have been a good call. 

Moot now, as everything usually is by the time we get to a Page 10 of a KC thread...

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Sorry to be just now paying attention to this, but when I try to use Paypal, it only shows a $1 amount.  I'm cheap, but not that cheap!  How do I change the one time amount?

Nevermind.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adding my library is a good example of how to expand a site on the cheap. Adding my library cost MPN nothing, except Dave's time in doing the links and setup. I cover all the craiganderton.org costs including the web site hosting, SSL certificates, security packages, Wordpress plugins, etc. 

Why add a library? When I was on AOL back in 1995, forums were far less populated than they are now, let alone at their peak. Including content as part of SSS gave topics for people to talk about in the forums...which they did.

Of course, that's not necessary anymore, because forums like this one get enough input from a variety of sources. Still, many sites include forums and content to make a more complete package. People who come to content based on a link find out there are forums, and people who come to the forums get added value if they want it.

Even better, craiganderton.org doesn't have a forum where people can discuss the content. So, I can direct them back to my forum here if there's anything they want to talk about.

• Like 4

I'm using the below view for my bookmark.  Can't recall how I did this, but better/faster - good! 

Was thinking - would be nice to possibly have another sub-forum under Keyboard Corner (in additional to shameless plugs and classifieds) - devoted to all things virtual keyboard tech, i.e. Mainstage, Ableton, Logic Pro, VSTs, Mac/iPad, midi, hubs, interfaces etc. 

I'm able to search for these keywords now, but having these topics consolidated would be nice, to be able to quickly peruse topic headers and dive deep more quickly.  I know over the years there is a lot of rich content on these topics, and seems it will only increase going forward.

ScreenShot2023-06-22at7_45_23AM.thumb.png.8adb7798f5c906bb7066cb74c7daa4d6.png

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

8 hours ago, TommyRude said:

Was thinking - would be nice to possibly have another sub-forum under Keyboard Corner (in additional to shameless plugs and classifieds) - devoted to all things virtual keyboard tech, i.e. Mainstage, Ableton, Logic Pro, VSTs, Mac/iPad, midi, hubs, interfaces etc. 

Possible, yes.  Do I want to do it?  Not so much. :duck:

Here’s the main reason - there’s almost a quarter century of posts in KC, more than a few of which have to do with these topics.  In order to effectively do what you ask, someone would need to sort through the existing posts and move then to the new forum; otherwise it’d be really confusing to anyone searching for these topics as to where they should post...…..and that sort of thing typically falls to me to do.  

Another reason - KC’s sub-forum categories aren’t really about keyboards.  They’re more personal - our gigs, our recordings, our gear for sale, etc.  If we were ever going to do something like this it would probably need to be its own full forum….which brings us back to the first problem.

One more reason - even if someone did search for these existing topics by key words, they have to be moved one at a time… 😬

Don’t get me wrong - it’s a good idea…it’s just that there’d be a bunch of work to do it right, all of which I (or someone with admin status) would have to do.

Sorry… :hider:

dB

• Like 2

The site is already sufficiently sub-forumed for me. I feel no need for a major section of old posts or detailed cross-referencing, because the technology zooms along so fast, even posts that are a mere 3 or 4 years old can become dated quickly. Just check out a few of the zombie topics. Exploring the site and sampling at will is adding to my mental database just fine. The fact that my memory is gradually turning into custard is in no way the fault or responsibility of MPN. Thanks!

I was such an ugly baby, my parents fed me with a slingshot.

13 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Possible, yes.  Do I want to do it?  Not so much. :duck:

Here’s the main reason - there’s almost a quarter century of posts in KC, more than a few of which have to do with these topics.  In order to effectively do what you ask, someone would need to sort through the existing posts and move then to the new forum; otherwise it’d be really confusing to anyone searching for these topics as to where they should post...…..and that sort of thing typically falls to me to do.  

Another reason - KC’s sub-forum categories aren’t really about keyboards.  They’re more personal - our gigs, our recordings, our gear for sale, etc.  If we were ever going to do something like this it would probably need to be its own full forum….which brings us back to the first problem.

One more reason - even if someone did search for these existing topics by key words, they have to be moved one at a time… 😬

Don’t get me wrong - it’s a good idea…it’s just that there’d be a bunch of work to do it right, all of which I (or someone with admin status) would have to do.

Sorry… :hider:

dB

I understand!  And it's not that hard to search out the content, thanks to the improved search engine.  Thinking down the line (when you have more $$, time, resources) and potentially attracting more users, might be worth considering, along with other high value topics - how to make them really easy for folks to find, especially new folks.

• Like 2

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud