Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B3 plugins ... what is the current state?

Tusker

I've moved the new Blue3 into top position in my Sessions Template.  I'm sold.  I especially like the 57 (recapped) C3 w/ close miked 122. And you can dial in the ambient sound so it sounds like what I'm used to hearing in my cans when my C2 is miked up.  The "wind" in the mikes is there and dial-able to taste.  😎  

I'm not much for those tame Jazz or Roller Rink tones.  I'm more of a Whiter Shade, Winwood, John Lord, Jimmy Calire sounds kind of guy, and with a little "outboard" this delivered in spades.  For the curious, I went with a touch of PSPVintage Warmer II, Soft-tube's Tube-Tech CL18 and BX True Peak on my first saved presets. 

• Like 6

Finally an example without shitty smooth yazz smothering it.
I take it back, Yamaha reigns supreme in not capturing the B3.  However, nope. Blue3 is similar to the free stuff bundled with some daws.
Score: serviceable

As a bit of aside, since I owned b-3x on ipad but use only a computer at home I endeavored to try out the ipad as a sound module.   Let's just say I didn't find it especially intuitive.  You need to set up an external midi track in Logic and an audio track to accept the audio (the external midi track will have a setting for which audio input it wants).  Stereo required me to set that up as a stereo track from the beginning, that threw me a bit.

I had to set the "ipad" as audio interface in logic to get all this to work, and of course set the midi channels. There were a couple youtube vids that got me sorted.

Let's just say I'd prefer to use a plugin on the computer.   I'm far too used to, and pampered by, choosing my plugin and bam let's go.   I've done my time in a midi-based hardware studio dealing with all that jive (much more actually) and so I'm ready for the easy life :) 

However, B-3x was better than Logic's organ to my ear and it was immediately apparent.   Not that Logic's is terrible, but when I A/Bed the two I'm like...give me B.

All that said, I don't do enough serious organ to afford B-3X for computer, so I'll keep this ipad rendering option in my back pocket.  If a good enough computer plugin deal (B5, B-3X etc) comes along, I might spring for it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stokely said:

All that said, I don't do enough serious organ to afford B-3X for computer, so I'll keep this ipad rendering option in my back pocket.  If a good enough computer plugin deal (B5, B-3X etc) comes along, I might spring for it.

You won't find B-3X much cheaper than $40 (even cheaper if you have some JamPoints), but I'm also looking forward to seeing Cherry Audio's live re-launch of Blue3 later today.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, davinwv said:

You won't find B-3X much cheaper than $40 (even cheaper if you have some JamPoints), but I'm also looking forward to seeing Cherry Audio's live re-launch of Blue3 later today.

Ok, wow.  I missed the fact that it was on sale, and for some reason I thought the computer version was big bucks (over $200), looks like maybe they lowered it at some point.  I paid something like $80 for the IOS version on sale (!) when someone gave me some Apple gift cards :).  I indeed see it for $40,  which is much lower than I would have expected.

Good call though, I'm sure the sale will last another day, might as well check out Blue3 first.

Live stream by Cherry Audio will be going in 15 min.

So will my really boring zoom call for work and it'll be me doing most of the boring talking, so I can't just  "be there" while listening to the stream...

I mean I could try but it might be iffy.

"Well, this job here runs every month and calculates the totals Z that are picked up by this process and given to A, where--holy crap, listen to that leslie overdrive!"

On 7/1/2023 at 2:00 AM, adammonroe said:

I do believe the Logic stock B3 does sound nice compared to many plugins; whoever engineered that one knew what they were doing to make it sound that good and be light on resources!

Everywhere I go, people really seem to dig the IK B3 - it's nice, authentic, sounds fairly comparable to what you will get out of a modern Hammond keyboard, ect. It was a bit overpriced on release, but they keep cutting the price; at $70 currently, the value is definitely there. It can be a little hard on the CPU but then so is my plugin (IMO, programming a realistic sounding Leslie/B3 SHOULD place demands on the CPU). GSi is still a good general purpose plugin, but IK is undercutting them at that price point. Most of the plugins out there still lag a bit when it comes to distortion - usually simple ATAN algorithms and such - so for that particular use case, I prefer my plugin and the vacuum tube simulations in there.

I also believe that there can be a slight difference between a beautiful sounding plugin played solo and something that sits nicely in a mix without a lot of effort. Not that you can't EQ or engineer one to fulfill the purpose of the other, but I think sometimes we get a little carried away with thick, beautiful, layered, detailed, wide plugins when, if you listen to many recordings, if the organ isn't the main event, then it's often sitting into the background or adding ambience. There are a lot of beautiful, detailed sounding plugins out there, but when I'm writing music, sometimes I just want something that sounds like a dirty old natural recording, and this is why I still give the Logic Organ props; to me, something like that can sound a bit more natural at times, and when I was making my plugin, that's more the kind of sound I was chasing, but to each their own.

As far as business practices go, not a big fan of most software companies these days. A long time ago I made the decision to steer-clear of DRM, subscription models, markdowns/sales and all that other nonsense; probably bad for business and my livelihood, but I think the world would be a nicer place if people charged a fair price for things and if you outright owned the things you pay for (like in the pre-internet days).

Perhaps have a look at my blog, or better yet, my B3 shootout video, where you can directly compare the sound of each organ - the Waterfall isn't in there as it wasn't released yet, but I will likely make a new video soon.

Me too

At the end of the day, these are all just different hammers that will hit the nail in slightly different ways...

Sorry about previous post. Wish I could delete it. But yeah the only thing that seems to be new with the new Blue 3 is the gui and three outboard effects. As I find using Amplitube Leslie with Blue 3 to be a much better combination the only benefit to me would be the gui.  So I won’t be spending $39 for that.

I see a lot of people here seem to really love B3X. I have found when ABing at home I always find B3X to be the best and most realistic. However on stage I find it really annoying and having a hollow thin sound. I end up using VB3ll, again with Amplitube Leslie.

When just playing around though, I always seem to have the most fun playing Blue 3.

• Like 1

It's odd that the older blue3 had an iOS version, so the shell is there. Is it that hard to add a page?

Re lilym and b3x sounding hollow live, have you tried the pultec eq?

Since the cherry audio has no mention of iOS I guess I'm out on this one.

FunMachine.

23 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Re lilym and b3x sounding hollow live, have you tried the pultec eq?

Well I am embarrassed to say I don’t do a tremendous amount of tweaking with these kinds of things. That we looks to be a $149 solution though.

LOL I get out of my meeting and notice that youtube had autoplayed several videos past the "live stream".

I used B3x live for a while and it was quite a bit brighter than any of my keyboard organs.   Almost to the point of shrill but as noted you can EQ.  For example if you pulled out the highest drawbar on B3x compared to the Hammond sk pro I had, the former was much more pronounced.   Or I suppose another way to say it was that the keyboard(s) had more low end, which I didn't actually need live so I kinda preferred B3x for the rock stuff I do :)

While I found it worked pretty well in mono, it definitely did change the sound and "hollow" is a pretty good description (see also: just about any piano).  Could that be the difference between home and gigs?

Not noticing too much high end though when using it with Logic at home, just sounds great out of the box.

Can’t say I’m impressed with the sound behind the introduction video that debuted today. I think if I had just showed up to check the online demos out I’d probably have shrugged and passed. Fortunately there is a Demo version available. I strongly suggest you give it a try on your own. It sounds so much better than the Intro Vid. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Two more steps and I'm going to wind up with a Cherry Audio logo tattoo! I wish my hands were a bit younger. This is the kind of instrument that could have become my one Hammond. CA is getting near-Japanese, in that they take existing designs and polish them to a notably high sheen. Logic's B-3 became ample for my occasional needs, once I figured out the right effects chains. Still, this enhancement has a certain feel of its own. My Inner Synth Nerd says a certain % of players will wire up synths/controllers to fully access the goods and embrace the proverbial hell out of it. 

Let's start a colossal cat fight. What are the high and low points of the contrasting "company sounds" of Cherry Audio vs. Roland vs. Arturia vs. Korg vs. Softube vs. Behringer vs. adamant people who only play hardware vs. Godzilla? Okay, GO!! :duck: 

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

Well at least Yammy improved their YC. 'Serviceable' is the best score I can give this.  Not seeing how this betters B3-X and certainly not B5.
Yes, CA has some fantastic.

Can't for the life of me understand why the inclusion of this or any vst being played in a daw track view.

1 hour ago, JoJoB3 said:

Well at least Yammy improved their YC. 'Serviceable' is the best score I can give this.  Not seeing how this betters B3-X and certainly not B5.
Yes, CA has some fantastic.

Can't for the life of me understand why the inclusion of this or any vst being played in a daw track view.

Again I'll say, don't judge this VI by the videos. Try the free demo and find your settings first.

• Like 1

I downloaded the demo version of Blue B3 last evening, no reason for me not to try it out. Price is right, might buy it sometime, don't have any need currently.

Using my Numa Organ as a controller, it sounded good to me.  One thing I liked as far as interface is that it responded to "stop" on the leslie switch (center position) of the Numa.

BX-3 will not do that.  With BX-3, I have to click on the stop button using a mouse unless using one of the supported Hammond/Suzuki models as a controller.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
:nopity:

2 hours ago, Doerfler said:

I downloaded the demo version of Blue B3 last evening, no reason for me not to try it out. Price is right, might buy it sometime, don't have any need currently.

Using my Numa Organ as a controller, it sounded good to me.  One thing I liked as far as interface is that it responded to "stop" on the leslie switch (center position) of the Numa.

BX-3 will not do that.  With BX-3, I have to click on the stop button using a mouse unless using one of the supported Hammond/Suzuki models as a controller.

Is this also true with B3X if it’s used in a host with MIDI learn, like MainStage?   Or specifically for the stand alone version? 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Is this also true with B3X if it’s used in a host with MIDI learn, like MainStage?   Or specifically for the stand alone version? 

I was referring to the stand alone version

• Like 1
:nopity:

4 hours ago, Doerfler said:

One thing I liked as far as interface is that it responded to "stop" on the leslie switch (center position) of the Numa.

While I do wish that a centered mod wheel engaged the Leslie brake in B-3X (like it does in just about every other virtual clonewheel), I just repurposed the Leakage knob on my Numa Organ 2 to engage the brake (especially because there is no leakage parameter in B-3X to map to that knob). Problem solved.

I've actually made the centered mod wheel Brake feature request several times over the years on the IK Multimedia forums, I think it is becoming increasingly doubtful that we will ever see any future updates to v1.x of B-3X, let alone a version 2.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, davinwv said:

While I do wish that a centered mod wheel engaged the Leslie brake in B-3X (like it does in just about every other virtual clonewheel), I just repurposed the Leakage knob on my Numa Organ 2 to engage the brake (especially because there is no leakage parameter in B-3X to map to that knob). Problem solved.

I've actually made the centered mod wheel Brake feature request several times over the years on the IK Multimedia forums, I think it is becoming increasingly doubtful that we will ever see any future updates to v1.x of B-3X, let alone a version 2.

I’m curious what sales have been like.  Not near the copies of sample tank I’m sure, but too poorly to do updated versions? 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 9/4/2024 at 2:58 PM, Stokely said:

While I found it worked pretty well in mono, it definitely did change the sound and "hollow" is a pretty good description (see also: just about any piano).  Could that be the difference between home and gigs?

You have a good point, I am definitely monitoring onstage in mono. Both VB3 and Blue 3 sound better in that situation though.

Not sure why the “sound” evaluations of this CA Blue 3. It’s the same GG Audio engine.  

I have to say that all this blue3 talk and stevenathan's suggestion to tweak it, I dug into it a bit. I would amend my previous opinion somewhat. The raw sound can be pretty good. But if you want natural sounds like for a suit and tie R n B gig b3x is more real sounding.

Blue3 key click, keep it low.

Percussion, not a strong point.

C/V , I didn't evaluate it that much.

Rotary, a notch below b3x but not awful. 

Lots of distortion types, some are pretty good, none are like a neo vent.

But way more adjustment of individual drawbars and some other parameters than b3x.

Note: I have the now unobtainable iOS version that is missing the new stompboxes that the CA version has.

I play blues mostly on my b3 apps so b3x is my go to. But I'm glad I got blue3 for going on magic carpet rides.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

Been playing with it all afternoon, doing comparisons of it to previous tracks of midi driven "organ".  Over the years I've gone from using VB3 to VB3II, to B5, to exclusively BX3 for a couple years now.  Using the same midi data and treatments, it's just fatter and deeper than BX3. Sounds more like what I've heard in my phones for decades with real ones.   In my humble opinion, this VI kicks ass.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just bought B-3X with a coupon code I found.  $31.  That's a no-brainer.  I look forward to playing it from my DMC-122.  I can't say at this point if I prefer it over the Gemini (VB3-II), but it's def in the top few sims.  Funny though, having just started using Mainstage after 10 years, I am blown away by how good the included Vintage Organ plug sounds.  For a rock context, it is far better than any rompler/current workstation I can think of.