Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"corporate attire"

51 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I don't really even want my shoes touching some of the floors we play on, let alone feet...

(not as much as in years past, as we mostly don't play grungy bars now, but still)  :)

I put a piece of rubber backed carpet down. And my flips are sitting where I can slip them on when I want to stray from my carpet. 

FunMachine.

I always thought dressing for stage was a delicate balance between "not wanting to look like the crowd on the dance floor" and "not looking like the Partridge Family." Seems like what i didn't want was more important than what I did want. But shoes? If I was standing on stage for 4 hours I was going to have comfortable shoes.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

A rug is definitely a good idea for a few reasons IMO.  Keeps pedals in place, keeps any drink from spreading to cables (or just be careful!), helps with comfort, looks good on stage.  I have two rugs (one smaller for tighter stages) that I consider part of my rig, same with my Lasko fan.

Maybe considered cheesy by many here, but my Latin group always wears matching shirts, black slacks and black shoes. We do tropical  Latin music so it seems fitting to me and is part of the tradition. It doesn't matter if it's a dive bar, private party, resort, we match, except for our singer (my wife).  Since our  line up changes gig to  gig, I collect the shirts at the end of the night. If we hire any female musicians, I give them the option of wearing something of their own and my wife will try to coordinate with them. 

cache pic at six flags .JPG

• Like 1

Some genres of music seem more appropriate with matching shirts.

I don't think I've ever seen a Latin music band that didn't have matching attire. 

I don't think I've ever seen a blues band that did match.

Hair metal- clothes that came from the same rockstar clothes store but otherwise unmatching.

RnB Motown well dressed but not necessarily matching unless you are pips.

Country- western shirts mandatory, cowboy hats if you don't have thick hair, boots if you like pain.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

15 minutes ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

Some genres of music seem more appropriate with matching shirts.

I don't think I've ever seen a Latin music band that didn't have matching attire. 

I don't think I've ever seen a blues band that did match.

Hair metal- clothes that came from the same rockstar clothes store but otherwise unmatching.

RnB Motown well dressed but not necessarily matching unless you are pips.

Country- western shirts mandatory, cowboy hats if you don't have thick hair, boots if you like pain.

Totally, it depends a lot on the style of music. I think a straight ahead jazz group play standards looks great in suits, don't have to match but the sharped dressed man look. 

We played over the weekend and I noticed two band members were barefoot.....  I only thought it was noteworthy because I wear shoes all the time unless I am sleeping.  And besides, we were outside.  Next to a pool.  Maybe [b]I[/b] was the strange one?

Maybe we'll hire Zandra Rhodes to design some new duds for us for next time.

8 minutes ago, Lou Gehrig Charles said:

We played over the weekend and I noticed two band members were barefoot.....  I only thought it was noteworthy because I wear shoes all the time unless I am sleeping.  And besides, we were outside.  Next to a pool.  Maybe [b]I[/b] was the strange one?

Maybe we'll hire Zandra Rhodes to design some new duds for us for next time.

Thing with barefoot by a pool. Concrete and wet concrete conduct electricity. I've played barefoot by a pool and got shocked by touching a microphone. I put on a windscreen. I remember my guitar strings felt more electric than usual too.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

Thing with barefoot by a pool. Concrete and wet concrete conduct electricity. I've played barefoot by a pool and got shocked by touching a microphone. I put on a windscreen. I remember my guitar strings felt more electric than usual too.

Hmmm, some wise advice, thanks!  Fortunately we were entirely in the grass.....   And no one was in the pool.  Still a little cool for that yet!

No matter how hot the gig I'm not going to wear shorts.  I wish I could, I have a compression sock I have to wear due to a past surgery, and due to that (and trying to avoid more skin cancer in general) my legs are pasty white.   I have a fan or two and get by.  Then again we don't usually have outdoor daytime gigs thankfully, the main reason I'm thankful is that it's always likely to rain out of nowhere and no small roof will help you.

27 minutes ago, Stokely said:

No matter how hot the gig I'm not going to wear shorts.  I wish I could, I have a compression sock I have to wear due to a past surgery, and due to that (and trying to avoid more skin cancer in general) my legs are pasty white.   I have a fan or two and get by.  Then again we don't usually have outdoor daytime gigs thankfully, the main reason I'm thankful is that it's always likely to rain out of nowhere and no small roof will help you.

We battle with the shorts dilemma as well. We played at Six Flags over Texas for their "Fiesta Latina" every Saturday and Sunday in May (outdoors) We went with white pants and matching shirts, as my wife said most guys don't look good enough in shorts  be on stage.  I think she's right!   

Again depends on the music.  Doing stuff like the Chili Peppers, looks more appropriate to wear (non-cargo) shorts than jeans.

Mainly, remember the words of the old hermit:  "Just say no to jorts"  (and I'd add, white running shoes...)  :D   But hey as I said earlier, I could do a lot to help my stage presence just by getting in shape, nothing to do with clothes....

3 hours ago, Montunoman 2 said:

Gracias amigo, 

I'll be in PV to visit my mom in July, which is always a nice break from the Texas heat. Do you ever get out that way? 

As in (Rancho) Palos Verdes? I used to live there but have been down in San Diego since 2010. Only up in LA very occasionally these days. I'll have a corporate gig or wedding at Terrenea maybe once or twice a year but that's about it.

• Like 1

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

3 hours ago, Bobadohshe said:

As in (Rancho) Palos Verdes? I used to live there but have been down in San Diego since 2010. Only up in LA very occasionally these days. I'll have a corporate gig or wedding at Terrenea maybe once or twice a year but that's about it.

Yes, I grew up there too, and I remember you from the music store in the Peninsula Center. I remember talking  to you the day Michael Jackson died there at the music store. Anyways, I think you know my old high school band director, Mr. Marino, and his sons. I am a Golden State Refuge and have lived in Texas since 1990, but I go back to PV a couple times a year. Nice place to visit but I could never afford to live there! 

RPV  maybe I sold you some records back in the day when I worked at Do Re Mi Music in that strip mall at Crenshaw and PCH.   We used to joke about the people that lived in RPV but would sneak out the back to shop at the cheaper stores.  The original owners I worked for eventually sold the place and from what i understand the new owner kept the name.   Boy some wild thing went on in that store especially in the back room.     It was fun place to work except for the drive down from WLA at rush hour.  

• Like 2