Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NHL Playoffs

bill5

I don't follow hockey much any more, but kind of follow during playoffs - and actually watched a whole game for the first time in forever last night when the Red Devils eked out a win over the Rangers. Good defensive game. I root for the teams who haven't won a title in forever, and I think the Rangers qualify...

I'm in a bracket challenge and this first round has been pretty epic. Toronto had an amazing comeback against Tampa Bay yesterday. None of the first round series have been sweeps.  Sometimes it's like totally different teams show up for the playoffs.

I saw a stat yesterday, quoted during an NBA game, that only 2 NBA players had played in all 82 games of this season. In the NHL over 160 players played all 82 games.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

4 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

I saw a stat yesterday, quoted during an NBA game, that only 2 NBA players had played in all 82 games of this season. In the NHL over 160 players played all 82 games.

Toughness.   NHL players are conditioned to play in a violent game. 

NBA is a cakewalk by comparison and players are given time off (days of rest), just like in the MLB.   The days of rest are liberal in the NBA, especially in the case of partial injuries.   NHL injuries are treated as a State Secret.

There may also be a mathematical explanation.  NBA has 450 players, while NHL has 736.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The math only explains a small part of it.

Last week an NHL player got 75 stitches in his face from a goalie's skate and returned to the game. 

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

2 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

The math only explains a small part of it.

Last week an NHL player got 75 stitches in his face from a goalie's skate and returned to the game. 

I watched that game. That skate in the face was a major cringe moment. Professional hockey players are a tough lot that play regularly with uncomfortable levels of pain. NHL playoffs are not for the timid. It's a gladiator sport....and I love it!  My favorite sport to play by a big margin. (too old for that now though!)

4 years ago, but one of my favorite hockey players to watch. So sad when he was traded to Vancouver.

3 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

I just saw Sebastian Aho of the Carolina Hurricanes take a direct shot to the face last night, it wasn't pretty.  I didn't follow the details but I'm sure he got a few stitches before coming back into the game. 

IMHO NHL players are taking crazy risks for not playing with face guards (either clear or cages) that college players (and most sane amateurs) use.  I played a year of college hockey in the mid 70's before anyone wore face protection and I went to a face guard (cage) after having my nose rearranged in one of my first games. 🙂  I adjusted very easily and never looked back.  The silly "eye visors" that NHL players wear these days offer so little protection they may as well not even use them.  (If you look closely, many of them have them tilted upward so far they're not even effective).  The way I look at it......if a goalie can do HIS job wearing a "cage" mask, then ANY forward or defenseman can as well.  Watch a college game anytime and you won't see any vision issues among the players passing or shooting.  I think the NHL players would rather face reconstructive surgery than use an ounce of prevention.  Maybe they're concerned with being perceived as weak, who knows?  At their salaries, I'm sure reconstructive surgery is a minor expense. 

On 4/25/2023 at 4:48 PM, Iconoclast said:

I'm in a bracket challenge and this first round has been pretty epic. Toronto had an amazing comeback against Tampa Bay yesterday. None of the first round series have been sweeps.  Sometimes it's like totally different teams show up for the playoffs.

Yeah so far almost all of the series could go down to the wire!

Really looking forward to the Lightning/Leafs game tonight. I feel like Tampa should have won the last two games but just didn't and now they're on the brink of elimination. Both teams are just chock full of talent.

Any series that can cause Matthews and Stamkos to fight has got to be testy. First time ever two 60+ goal scorers have ever dropped the gloves with each other.

I had Edmonton and Boston going to the finals. My bracket may be completely blowed up  by tonight!

Not to mention that as a Phoenician, I am sworn to hate all things LA.

On 4/28/2023 at 7:09 PM, Husker said:

I love hockey.  By far my favorite sport to watch  - the NFL is a snoozefest compared to the NHL!

I can't watch it on TV.  When I was living in San Jose, we'd often get tickets to the Sharks and that is when I became more of a serious fan.

With the NFL, it's the complete opposite.   On TV it's great.   Live, it's a snoozefest, especially indoors  (like going to a shopping mall).  

Baseball is the best.  Fantastic in person and on TV.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

What an epic night last night was.

The team with the best regular season record IN HISTORY loses game 7 to the last seed.

The defending champs and all their superstars lose to a Seattle team that I can only name 3 players.

One more game 7 tonight and then on to the second round!

Needless to say, my bracket be blowed up.  If the Rangers win tonight I'll be 50/50 for the first round.

On 4/29/2023 at 6:45 PM, Old Music Guy said:

This is MY goalie.

Remember, TKachuk's dad was the last player in the league to get 50+ goals and 200+ Penalty minutes in the same season (96-97). They're at their best being pests in the tough parts of the ice.  

1 hour ago, Michael Wright said:

Leafs move on, my wife is happy . . .

TL;DR:  Being a Leafs fan is a lifelong disease.  Its most frequent symptoms are pain, frustration and tears.  John Tavares has it bad.  He's still trying to find a cure.  19 years without a playoff series win?  Fixed.  56 years without a Stanley Cup?  Working on it.

When they were kids, Lightning captain Steven Stamkos and Leafs captain John Tavares were best friends.  They played elite-level minor hockey together in suburban Toronto and led Canada's world juniors to the gold medal podium.  They were both hard-core Toronto Maple Leafs fans.  There are childhood pictures of them wearing Leafs paraphernalia.  When Tavares left the Islanders and signed with the rebuilding Leafs as a free agent five years ago, he tweeted a childhood shot of him sleeping in Leafs-themed bedding.  The caption: "Not everyday you can live a childhood dream".

When Stamkos hit free agency a couple of years earlier, the Leafs sucked and he re-upped with Tampa Bay, turning down a richer offer from Toronto after a long, teasing dalliance.  Two Stanley Cups later, few can question his decision.  But last Saturday night, his great childhood buddy scores the seeing-eye overtime dribbler that ends Tampa Bay's still-burning championship pretensions in the first round of the playoffs.  Stamkos can't be oblivious to the explosion of collective joy still convulsing his home city today.  Tampa Bay is a fine place, but it ain't no hockey town.  Toronto is the Big Apple of hockey.  As he nears the end of his hall-of-fame career, there must be poignant what-ifs whispering in his mind right now.

The two captains are still great friends.  That they both wear number 91 is rooted in their time playing together as kids.  But Tavares, true to his roots, chose to pursue hockey's most daunting challenge: to win a Stanley Cup with the cursed Leafs--and he's still on course for that goal today.  He's the hockey equivalent of Franklin seeking the North West Passage.  He knows he may wind up lost, stuck and frozen blue in the white ice, but we all love his idealism.

Saturday night was great therapy for millions of us Leafs fans--especially us old geezers who see time creeping up on us.  Bring on Florida. 

• Love 1

"I like rock and roll, man, I don't like much else."  John Lennon 1970

Paging Leafs Nation... please report to the thread so we can all laugh.

Couple of wild ones in the other two games. How do you score three shorties and still lose by four goals? Carolina apparently knows.

Game 3 for the Oil back home tonight. Quick start needed and can't rest on our Game 2 performance, but we're in a good spot and the team seems to be locked and loaded, playing connected both from a possession/passing/support perspective and a physical perspective. 5 wins down, still need another 11.

Oh, and the Bedard lottery is tonight. It feels so good not to care. Hope he goes to Montréal.

22 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Paging Leafs Nation... please report to the thread so we can all laugh.

Schadenfreude is never a good look, Eric.  Of course, neither is being down 0-3 in a best of seven playoff series.

"I like rock and roll, man, I don't like much else."  John Lennon 1970

On 5/9/2023 at 8:01 AM, Polychrest said:

Schadenfreude is never a good look, Eric.  Of course, neither is being down 0-3 in a best of seven playoff series.

I suppose I deserved that Game 3 performance, eh? ;) My dad would've called me "baveux" for that!

But allow me to share a poem I wrote the other day...

A Leafs hater I was born

A Leafs hater I was bred

A Leafs hater I will be

Long after I'm dead

All fun and games, of course :laugh:

Another slate of big games tonight, eh? Some people are saying that the pressure has shifted onto the Panthers, but I don't buy it.

Disappointed Pietrangelo only got one game, of course. Ridiculous play. Nurse deserves his game, even if the NHL had rescinded the suspension in both cases when it occurred during this regular season.

Oh, and bye bye Devils. Very promising future, they'll be great for years to come. (Thanks in large part to their VP of analytics, Oilers fan Tyler Dellow. If only we had hired him...)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Disappointed Pietrangelo only got one game, of course. Ridiculous play. Nurse deserves his game, even if the NHL had rescinded the suspension in both cases when it occurred during this regular season.

Even if he barely hit him, it looked so deliberate that you should be suspended just for being such an idiot. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a chop like that.

My fave moment of the playoffs so far. Las Vegas Karen flipping double birds with prejudice at Evander Kane as he blows her a kiss.

download.jpg.226b14c62db412d3ecd86d8741ef91e3.jpgdownload.jpg.32484d198376d3afe741667d463acafd.jpg

• Like 1