Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Project Strat: Active or Passive?

I'm starting a new build. I bought a very beautiful Olympic White 2018 USA Strat body. It has a 2 point trem bridge with vintage Fender saddles. I have a maple/maple neck that will go on it. The body is routed in an HSH configuration. But I have a hand painted pickguard my wife Robin did that I want to use. It's a first class version of a tortoise shell and is a SSS cutout so I want to stay with that configuration.

Currently, that PG is loaded with SD SSL1 (N), SSL5 (RwRp M) and an SSL5 (B). 5 way blade. 

Many of you who replied to my other posts regarding pups recommended active EMGs. I was really not able to put actives in any of those guitars because of lack of a battery "compartment". This new body has a tremolo, but, since I hate them, I plan to block it, so I WILL have a place for a battery. 

What I want out of the pickups is VERSATILITY. This will be my 5th Strat. I have one the quacks, I have one that chimes, I have a Nashville, and I have a screamer (thought that's up for sale). 

This particular combination of body color, neck and pickguard is something I've been chasing, so I want to make a good one for me to keep. 

IYHO, what would y'all suggest for a really good, all around useful set of actives?? 

This is what I envision for the final, sans whammy bar

strat.jpg

What?

Ditto Caevan's suggestion!  I have a David Gilmour EMG drop-in pickguard that is set up exactly like he describes.  Makes any Strat or Squier sound great IMHO! 😎

ps. White with tortoise shell pickguard is one of my favorite Fender color combinations!

• Love 1
Take care, Larryz

20 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

The only other active option I’d consider is a sustainer system of some kind.

Would you please expound on that? 

I have a Keeley 4 knob compressor and a Tube Screamer with a 40W Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. What more do I need?

• Like 1

What?

4 hours ago, Old Music Guy said:

Would you please expound on that? 

I have a Keeley 4 knob compressor and a Tube Screamer with a 40W Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. What more do I need?

First, Caevan beat me to it, that's a very versatile, great sounding set up and you will find that the low magnetic field of EMG SA pickups will improve sustain and intonation. I use them and also the SPC. I don't like the position of the knob closest to the strings so I put a piece of plastic behind it. 

OK, there are a variety of sustainers. Some of them activate all 6 strings. All of the ones installed in guitars replace a pickup, usually the neck pickup (which is my favorite). 

I prefer an EBow, I can use that on all my steel string guitars, electric and acoustic. It only activates one string at a time so I don't have to mute strings. And because you can move it to different spots on the strings AND there is a 3 way switch that is "normal" "off" (center) and "harmonic" you can get a wider range of tones with the EBow. 

Pus you don't have to install it. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Expanding on what was just said, a sustainer system does what it says: it allows for the player to sustain a note or notes as long as desired.

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

5 minutes ago, Old Music Guy said:

That's way above my paygrade. I've seen them used, and very effectively. But that's not the path I'm walking. 

It seems to me more of a specialty item. 

Any and all sustainers are "specialty items" and most of them are more expensive than an Ebow.

Choose your poison, was just a suggestion. 

2 minutes ago, Old Music Guy said:

And very much appreciated. I just don't have the chops for that. The pedal steels taught me that I don't have ears that good.

No disrespect intended.

And none taken! Ebow is very different from pedal steel. 
I tried pedal steel but it might be the most difficult instrument outside of the violin and maybe more so if you listen to some of the master players. 

I saw a guitarist at Anaheim NAMM decades ago who was hired at the Ebow booth to display their product and he was jaw-droopingly adept at it. 

I use it sparingly and usually just choose a theme melody that I can play on one string. Its a special sound, I love it.

Heroes by David Bowie has Ebow all the way through it, very simple part but it made the song sound unique. 

• Like 1

You're the one playing it, do what YOU like!

I never use the middle pickup, my Strat doesn't have one. I love the sound of the neck and bridge pickups together and a 3 way switch is just simpler. 

I've always played acoustic guitar and mostly set my electric guitar on one sound, all the way up and just work it with pick position and changes in force. 

• Like 1

I like the color palette of the second one more…in isolation.  In the context of the guitar as a whole, I prefer the first.  It’s…warmer.  And I think that plays better visually with that body color. 

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

4 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Heroes by David Bowie has Ebow all the way through it, very simple part but it made the song sound unique. 

I'm not a guitar player, but I love guitars and this note caught my eye.

Crimso's Robert Fripp contributed the Ebow-like guitar to "Heroes", but no Ebow was used...simply controlled feedback that he and Eno had already experimented with on No Pussyfooting and Evening Star.

Crank up volume, then carefully measure distances where particular notes would feedback, and go. In some ways, a precursor to Frippertronics, which he would continue to evolve for years.

Anyway, just a side note.

Gorgeous guitars, and I happen to agree with Dannyalcatraz above - the tortoise with the Olympic White is warm and classic. I wish keyboards were as beautiful as guitars.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, timwat said:

I'm not a guitar player, but I love guitars and this note caught my eye.

Crimso's Robert Fripp contributed the Ebow-like guitar to "Heroes", but no Ebow was used...simply controlled feedback that he and Eno had already experimented with on No Pussyfooting and Evening Star.

Crank up volume, then carefully measure distances where particular notes would feedback, and go. In some ways, a precursor to Frippertronics, which he would continue to evolve for years.

Anyway, just a side note.

Gorgeous guitars, and I happen to agree with Dannyalcatraz above - the tortoise with the Olympic White is warm and classic. I wish keyboards were as beautiful as guitars.

Thanks for the clarification! Many post that the sound is an Ebow. Feedback is totally believable, I've created all manner of fun feedback stuffs but I haven't recorded much of it and I thought I was done but recently realized I could create feedback with studio monitors if I use enough compression and distortion. Adding an EQ plugin allows controlled variation. 

For all that, the Ebow is a unique tool that I will never tire of owning. I've had one for decades but only use it once in a while so I haven't mastered it. Still, it can do something that nothing else can do in exactly the same way. 

As to the beauty, it's difficult to imagine creating the Fender Stratocaster with no real precedent. Leo consulted with LA session and sideman guitarists and modified the Telecaster (which was an amazing original creation at that time) to make the Stratocaster and if you are just thinking in terms of shapes and dimensions there is no more beautiful musical instrument. The ES 335 in my icon photo is a wonder as well. 

Keyboards are designed as utensils and the beauty is the sound. Guitars can somehow be both physically beautiful and practical simultaneously. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Music Guy said:

I agree that the tortoise shell is the winner. It's what I had in my mind's eye.  

It's a classic look. You can get those EMG SA pickups in either 'Ivory' or 'White'; either would really suit that.

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Question for EMG gearheads: The parts lists and installation instructions indicate that there is a "Stereo" output jack. In my mind and understanding of the wiring diagrams would lead me to believe that this is a "balanced" output which would be best suited for a balanced DI input, i.e. TRS. 

I understand that a TRS works just fine into a TS (unbalanced input, like an amp).

Basic question is: Is this a balanced output? And the term "stereo" is a misnomer?

• Like 1

What?

2 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

You can get those EMG SA pickups in either 'Ivory' or 'White'; either would really suit that.

I'm having a difficult time finding them in white. Also, for some unknown reason, they charge more for white, than black. ??

Would that mean if I used black golf balls they would be cheaper? 🤔😆

• Like 1

What?

1 hour ago, Old Music Guy said:

The parts lists and installation instructions indicate that there is a "Stereo" output jack.

That's to be wired-up so that when the cable is unplugged from the guitar, the circuit is 'broken' and the battery will not continue to drain. When the cable plug is inserted into the jack again, the circuit is completed and the battery powers the pickups.

I'm having a difficult time finding them in white. Also, for some unknown reason, they charge more for white, than black. ??

Would that mean if I used black golf balls they would be cheaper? 🤔😆

I only looked at the official EMG website, and did not look at any prices...

For what it's worth, personally, Ivory would be my choice for that guitar with the faux tortoise-shell 'guard, along with similarly colored ivory, cream, or 'aged' knobs and switch-tip...

• Like 2

Question for EMG gearheads: The parts lists and installation instructions indicate that there is a "Stereo" output jack. In my mind and understanding of the wiring diagrams would lead me to believe that this is a "balanced" output which would be best suited for a balanced DI input, i.e. TRS. 

I understand that a TRS works just fine into a TS (unbalanced input, like an amp).

Basic question is: Is this a balanced output? And the term "stereo" is a misnomer?

As Caevan noted, the "ring" on the jack is the connection to ground for the 9v battery. The tip is for audio and the sleeve is ground. 

I agree with him on the ivory color.

Try surfing eBay and Reverb and buying used from a reputable seller, that's usually how I buy pickups and the EMG SA is a long standing favorite pickup of mine. The silence is golden and if you are a Strat player you will notice that you have more sustain and more reliable intonation as well. 

The SPC is a requirement for me, it gives me 2 different sounds. Cranked down and you are playing a Strat, cranked up and you have a Gibsonish sound, powerful and full but not so much louder than cranked down that you have to adjust anything. Strat for singing over, cranked for leads will work well and you don't have to worry about getting the position right, just crank it from off to full on. 

If you find the David Gilmour set that will add another set of options. It's a good sound (EXG?) but I haven't used one enough to recommend it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

If you find the David Gilmour set that will add another set of options. It's a good sound (EXG?) but I haven't used one enough to recommend it. 

I loved it!

• Like 3

I would put in Duncan little 59'rs I use them in my Homemade Strat (sort of) clone. It is one of my all time favorite guitars for tone. Gives you something between a Gibson and Strat sound. Real smooth in the overdrives and sparkling clean on the clean side.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Ltl59SrtWhtset--seymour-duncan-little-59-strat-pickup-set-white

• Like 1

8 hours ago, desertbluesman said:

I would put in Duncan little 59'rs

That was a very viable option, and, actually, my first choice along with the new SD Hyperswitch. Unfortunately, that turned out to be about a 500 bill. 

That is really pushing the budget into divorce territory. 

• Like 2

What?