Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

LA April 27-May 6

I was around LA this past week from Wed-Fri, barely 2.5 days including a redeye back to the east coast...I hadn't been to NAMM since 2019 due to travel issues in 2020 and pandemic issues since then. It was my fastest and perhaps most fulfilling trip yet! I hung with my dudes @Tonysounds, @RedKey, and Mike N...we did the NAMM show and were lucky enough to grab a forum dinner inclusive of @Dave Bryce, @Joe Muscara, @zxcvbnm098, and @The Real MC at Buca di Beppo. That place has been a comfy classic since my earliest NAMM days...we have pictures over the years...sometimes there have been dozens of people and some really interesting guests there.

We decided to take a day for tourism and went to Malibu Beach, all up/down/all around the Santa Monica and Hollywood Hills, Laurel Canyon, Mulholland Drive, Venice canals, Venice and Muscle Beach, and all the fun little spots to stop for a drink or a bite to eat in between.

Years ago, I used to devote a half day to visiting Pasadena and doing a "behind the curtain" tour of the Gamble House, one the of the most iconic specimens of arts & crafts architecture in the USA (and also movie famous), plus going to various beach towns where I had friends living in San Clemente, San Diego, etc. One year I even went to an NFL Playoff game when it was the SD Chargers vs. NY Jets.

So many fun times in the LA area, all driven by trips to the NAMM Show, going back nearly 20 years now. The best part is hanging with friends from this forum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

dB, if it works out, I'd love to be a guest at a WCKCFH! I don't have too many concrete plans, so let me know if something works best for you.

My schedule is pretty flexible that week. Let’s see what dates would work best for the most people.  

May 2-5 is probably best for me.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

2 hours ago, TommyRude said:

Is the boardwalk scary and skeeved out?

Not so much scary, the derelicts don't really bother you (although some occasionally talk loudly to no one in particular). But it's not a welcoming atmosphere, IMO.

Abbott Kinney Road is a bit better, that's where the gentrification is most visible.

edit:

34 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

May 2-5 is probably best for me.

Snap, I'll be out of town May 3-6. Bummer.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

On 4/19/2023 at 9:57 AM, JohnH said:

I have a classic rock gig on Saturday April 27 at the Lincoln House in Covina. I have a YC61 and you are welcome to sit in ( I have a guitar rig too).

I’ve played The Lincoln House… cool little venue. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

For those of you who know the Baked Potato:

Is a patio seat ok, or should I spring for indoor seating if I want to actually hear the band and enjoy the performance? Hoping to see Scott Kinsey :thu:

Also have a ticket for Game 6 between the Kings and Oilers and am looking at Alfa Mist at the Fonda Theater (and maybe Dawes at the Ace Hotel). Willy Nelson is holding a 90th birthday bash at the Hollywood Bowl, but it's two-day tickets only and pretty pricey. Probably make it to a Dodgers game on Monday or Tuesday as well.

Hoping to swing by Ken Rich's shop if he'll take visits as well.

Thanks everyone, looking like it'll be a fun time!

• Like 2

Try and check out Mike Moreno at Sam First on April 28, or John Escreet (with Mark Turner, Eric Revis & Damion Reid!!!) on May 3 & 4.  Alfa Mist is also a good call. 

• Like 1

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.