Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianoteq iOS

By the way, I was informed that this is a "silent" launch. It's not a secret, but they won't advertise the app for a week or two. They say they are pushing hard to find and fix bugs before the official launch; they are not actively soliciting editorial commentary (yet) but they are looking for problems to fix.

I would assume that you can email bug reports to support@modartt.com, but you could also use the online form (for the product type, select "Other").

mike

EDIT: You could (should?) also mention issues here so other users can verify them. Also, we want to encourage Modartt to participate if they can.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

8 minutes ago, Dr Mike Metlay said:

Write to support@modartt.com (either by direct email or via their website's Contact Us page). They should be able to help you reset the username and password for their member site (called "User Area" in the topline menu). You'll find your serial number there and it will also list the number of remaining activations you have.

I am not sure how old a version of Pianoteq can be linked to the app. My guess, depending on how it's done, would be either "only 8 or maybe 7" or "any".

mike

I was able to access my account and get my product key.  Because my original purchase was for Pianoteq 5, I had to pay to upgrade to 8.  Once I did that I got access to two pianos, the Steinway D and the K2.  I’m surprised that all the versions of Pianoteq are available for purchase with this iOS version.  I expected it to be a more abbreviated version, as was the case with the Ravenscroft 275 piano app, compared to the full blown PC version.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Radagast said:

I was able to access my account and get my product key.  Because my original purchase was for Pianoteq 5, I had to pay to upgrade to 8.  Once I did that I got access to two pianos, the Steinway D and the K2.  I’m surprised that all the versions of Pianoteq are available for purchase with this iOS version.  I expected it to be a more abbreviated version as was with the case with the Ravenscroft 275 piano app, compared to the full blown PC version.

I think it's genius. No one gets to complain about stuff being "feature crippled". But there's the answer, you need to upgrade to 8, Radagast.

mike

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

So if you’re on Pianoteq 8, you can also use the iOS app on all

of your various devices? I have an iPhone and a couple of iPads. Would all of my iOS/iPad OS devices count as a single activation or three?

• Like 1

Installed. Had previous stage version so had to pay €29 to get stage 8. Was going to do it on my desktop anyway. And it automatically made all my desktop purchases available on the iPad, Steinway D, YC5,  U4 upright. I also have the lovely Wurly and Rhodes packs as well that I really enjoy playing as a contrast to Scarbee. Don’t have it linked up to a midi keyboard yet but will test it in the coming days. So far it looks great. If your desktop version was up to date this app would be free. Great implementation. 

34 minutes ago, tfort said:

So if you’re on Pianoteq 8, you can also use the iOS app on all

of your various devices? I have an iPhone and a couple of iPads. Would all of my iOS/iPad OS devices count as a single activation or three?

I’ll try and download it to my iPad and iPhone and see. I think one iOS activation should work on all iOS devices?

• Like 1
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

From the Pianoteq forum:

“julien wrote:

Yes, we will probably need to put that in the FAQ. 

All your iOS devices will share the same activation slot (as long as you use the same apple id on them).”

What a great overall way to implement a licensing scheme on Mac and iOS/iPad OS. Respects their existing Mac-based cost structure by not racing to the bottom line of typically very inexpensive iOS prices, and respects their existing customers by not forcing them to buy twice. Win-win. 

Modartt is a class act. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Radagast said:

I expected it to be a more abbreviated version, as was the case with the Ravenscroft 275 piano app, compared to the full blown PC version.

Yeah, a nice bonus! The more common Ravenscroft approach has the advantage of low cost, but as you say, it's a more limited version, I assume because the full version would not run (or not run well) on iOS (meaning also all the hardware that version of iOS runs on). Though even the low cost advantage isn't an advantage for everyone... since in the case of Pianoteq, if you own the desktop version, the iOS version is free! Not true with Ravenscroft, or anyone else, AFAIK.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just tried it out with my CP73 and only using headphones….wow. I can’t hear any discernible difference between my desktop and iOS versions. I had Ravenscroft iOS installed and removed it ages ago as I couldn’t get a sound I liked from it. I found it too flat no matter how much eq I used. Not sure how this will sound through a pa or monitor, but for me it will probably finally convince me to start using the IPad as a proper sound source. 

Cpu usage was around 10%. I depressed as many keys as possible with my arms to try and crash it and it reached about 24%. Seems rock steady. Haven’t tried it in AUM yet but hopefully will be as solid. If Yamaha only made a motif app I’d be a happy camper. Fine work Modart!

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yeah, a nice bonus! The more common Ravenscroft approach has the advantage of low cost, but as you say, it's a more limited version, I assume because the full version would not run (or not run well) on iOS (meaning also all the hardware that version of iOS runs on). Though even the low cost advantage isn't an advantage for everyone... since in the case of Pianoteq, if you own the desktop version, the iOS version is free! Not true with Ravenscroft, or anyone else, AFAIK.

I would guess that a big reason the Ravenscroft iOS app is abbreviated is because the PC version has a very large number of samples.

Just installed it on my iPad Air 2 and it works pretty decently!. I have quite a lot of instrument packs (8) on my desktop version (8 Standard), which have transferred flawlessly to the iPad 🥳

BTW performance index is 33 on this old iPad 

Great!

Jose

I loaded it on my iPad Pro. Had to pay $29 to update from Pianoteq 7 to 8 and then it worked well.

I compared it to Korg Module Ivory Grand, Ravenscroft, and Pure Piano. I like Pianoteq 8 much better than the others. It plays better and sounds better. I used the Steinway B Bright and it was fun!

Acoustic Piano was a struggle for me on the iPad rig. I think that’s been fixed now! 

• Like 5

Yes I really think Modartt have kicked a 100 yard field goal here. Brilliant!

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

2 hours ago, miden said:

Yes I really think Modartt have kicked a 100 yard field goal here. Brilliant!

iPad Pro + ForScore + Pianoteq + 88 key weighted action controller with class compliant audio interface built in.   Hmmm, what might that controller be? 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I assumed that Pianoteq was basically non-stereo.  So I thought that good stereo sampled pianos would have an advantage over Pianoteq 8.  I stand corrected.  Listening with headphones, some of the pianos have a very nice stereo spread in the sound, including hearing resonances from the soundboard.

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

Does Pianoteq do a good sounding mono piano for live?  i.e. into one speaker

I’m under the impression from those who use it live that it does have a mono mode and it can  suffer from phasing issues like stereo sample libraries - but “standard and pro versions permit precise control and selection of individual microphones.”

It’s worth trying out, the different models they’ve created all differ in timbre so you may need to go through a few to find one you like in mono after tweaking microphone usage and levels. 

50 minutes ago, Jazz+ said:

Kawai ES120 (26 lbs)

Does the ES120 have an audio interface? I know it has Bluetooth Audio but could never find anything about it having an interface?

35 minutes ago, Dockeys said:

Does the ES120 have an audio interface? I know it has Bluetooth Audio but could never find anything about it having an interface?

No, I don’t believe the es-120 is going to give an iOS a pair of audio outs mixed in with its own audio outputs to amp.  

5 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

Does Pianoteq do a good sounding mono piano for live?  i.e. into one speaker

That is basically my interest in it right there, although less so with a new keyboard I just picked up.  I can already get glorious stereo from samples, what I really need is non-boxy, non-phasey mono that doesn't lose 30% or whatever volume the second you go mono :)  

Sorry if I missed it, but any mention of price if you *only*  want the IOS version?  Is that even going to be an option?

30 minutes ago, Stokely said:

That is basically my interest in it right there, although less so with a new keyboard I just picked up.  I can already get glorious stereo from samples, what I really need is non-boxy, non-phasey mono that doesn't lose 30% or whatever volume the second you go mono :)  

Sorry if I missed it, but any mention of price if you *only*  want the IOS version?  Is that even going to be an option?

I thinks it’s free to install the iOS version and you buy whatever pack / add on you need. For example the Steinway C is €49.99. Others vary. I’m not sure if it comes with any free piano? I installed it and updated to my desktop version straight away so didn’t see if there was a “tester” piano that it comes with? I’d imagine it may have. All add ons are fully available to demo though. A few notes are disabled but you get a good idea of how they sound. 

10 minutes ago, Dockeys said:

I thinks it’s free to install the iOS version and you buy whatever pack / add on you need. For example the Steinway C is €49.99. Others vary. I’m not sure if it comes with any free piano? I installed it and updated to my desktop version straight away so didn’t see if there was a “tester” piano that it comes with? I’d imagine it may have. All add ons are fully available to demo though. A few notes are disabled but you get a good idea of how they sound. 

No free piano and You can not buy any pack unless You have basic stage pack with two instruments. But the demo with notes missing is ptetty fair. There is a mono option right on the main page but I havent got to test it yet. 

Is there any way to cut the long metalic decay that most instruments have?

Grabbed it onto my phone (which meant I promptly had to go find my glasses).  Looks like you need to buy (at least) the "Stage" license, which includes two instruments of choice.  The Stage license is 139 bucks, which is pretty pricey (but would make more sense for anyone using it also on computer).  I recently picked up Hammersmith Pro during a Soniccouture sale and don't really feel compelled to upgrade on computer, so I'm going to pass on this for now at least.

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

My suggestion on using Pianoteq in mono is to put it in mono mode and select the mics you want to use.  Play with positions and volumes to get something that translates well to one speaker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jazz+ said:

I have an Air Pad Version 1 and it is making terrible clicking noises when playing piano notes using the in-app on-screen keyboard. I have not tried a midi keyboard hook-up yet.

Did they give us settings/preferences to raise the audio buffer?  Go to iOS Settings and search for Pianoteq to see what controls they have provided. 

3 hours ago, Jazz+ said:

I have an Air Pad Version 1 and it is making terrible clicking noises when playing piano notes using the in-app on-screen keyboard. I have not tried a midi keyboard hook-up yet.

I have looked for differences with my iPad Air 2, which works reasonably well with Pianoteq, and it seems it has about 40% more computing power (it uses an A8X instead of an A7) and double RAM size (2GB instead of 1GB). Main problem for sure is the CPU power. So, yes, try to set a larger buffer and perhaps also less voices.

Let us know what you find out!

Jose

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stefan011 said:

You can not buy any pack unless You have basic stage pack with two instruments. 

Is this true?  you can't just pay $49 and have a single piano?  $139??? that's highway robbery in the app world.

36 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Is this true?  you can't just pay $49 and have a single piano?  $139??? that's highway robbery in the app world.

I warned Julien and Niclas that when they hit the market full bore, they needed to be ready for people to bitch about how the app didn't cost $14.99, $19.99 tops, and the packs cost more than $2.99 each. 🙄

This is a new model for iOS music apps... the mobile version as a no-cost addition to the desktop version, with all of the quality and features. Basically a thank you for buying the desktop software, a part of an overall ecosystem where the owner of the plug-in is given some really nice extras.

The closest thing anyone ever got to this was Korg, who would add new instruments to Gadget if you bought the standalone version of the corresponding instrument.

Personally, I think it's dead brilliant – a quiet but brave stance against the race to the bottom in iOS apps, with broke, stressed-out developers vs. entitled and unbelievably miserly users.

Don't want to pay big-boy prices for big-boy sound and features? Fine, vote with your wallet. Many folks would be perfectly happy with all the other options for a piano on iOS, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I think it's SO worth the money on the desktop, and the iOS version is the icing on the cake.

mike

• Like 6

Yes there are freemium apps, and cheap apps, and crippled apps that use IAP to get a working app.  

But if the app is worth it, people will cough up the asking price or they won’t.  Korg can ask for more than lesser name developers.  Pianoteq is a strong name in virtual pianos even if Modartt isn’t as recognized as a brand.  But, who else has stronger modeled pianos on iOS?  Heck, only Roland has worked this hard on modeled pianos and they are absent on iOS.  

Modartt with see how their pricing model works for them.  They may consider a change later.   Focusing on getting the app installed on many devices and earning more with IAP of the different pianos.  But we shall see.