Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: A Guide To Starting Your Own Local Band

cphollis

Hello, KC!

About two years ago, I decided to quit my current local band and start my own. It was a very steep and deep learning experience. Now that I've done it, it's all working quite well and nobody has died. 

I wanted to write up a guide sharing everything that I had learned in the process, aimed at someone who was considering starting their own band, or perhaps someone who wanted to make their band better.  Lots to cover, if you think about it.

At the time, I couldn't find anything like this in my searches, and definitely could have used it at the time.

Although it recounts my specific experiences and decisions, it also presents a framework for others to make their decisions in different circumstances.

I would appreciate anyone who would care to read it, and maybe offer up a few thoughts on its strong or weak points?

It's a PDF with links to individual Google Docs, as it makes it easier to update that way.

Many thanks in advance!

A Guide To Starting Your Own Local Band.pdf

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I read most of it right away.  Awesome resource!

You are an excellent band leader.  My impression from the Guide (and from your KC posts) is that you have more time and resources to devote to your band than many of your prospective readers.  For that reason, one suggestion is to help readers prioritize how to implement the many best practices you describe.  IEM or lights first?  Website or FB ads?  Etc.   You do a good job explaining priorities within each subtopic but it is tougher to discern your advice about prioritization across the subtopics.  

• Like 2

Hey Chuck, good effort but I'll admit, it took me back to my corporate days, PPTs and the like! 😆

One thing that seems to be missing, you kind of touch on it in a few places....  what kind of band are you talking about?  I think your guide is geared towards local cover bands (v. original), it might be useful to make that distinction up front, maybe give a few examples, explain the differences and distinctions between the different types, and highlight the type of band the Guide is geared towards. 

Another thing that would make this interesting (and maybe you already have it in there), would be to do some interviews with successful local bands that fit your profile, and intersperse what you learn with examples throughout the Guide (of course with permission).  I know you're already basing this on your own experience, but just a thought!

Good luck!

• Like 2

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Tommy, thanks for the observations.  To be honest, any "originals" band would likely die a swift death in our local market, and a few have done so, so I guess I didn't think much of it at the time, but you're right.  As far as interviewing other bands -- great idea, but a lot of work! 

And, yes, this is what happens when a corporate type decides to start a local cover band :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

As someone who has only been in original bands since 1980 or so, I'd have to agree with TommyRude.  It's a whole different thing. Not better nor worse, just different.  My band now (for the last 28 years in NYC area), rehearses maybe twice a year, has a song list of 200 plus of my songs, tries hard to never have to play a place without it's own sound and lights, and "local" is not really an accurate description.  i.e.  we hit the road whenever and wherever the money leads us (Canada, Europe, and here).  It gets a little harder each year that we get older, but it's been a good run so far.

• Like 2

I read the first 2 chapters and then popped over to "recruiting musicians". 

While your approach works, I think you might be missing something. 

Does anybody nearby consistently host an open mic night? I've met incredible musicians at open mic nights, there is a often an urge to play solo (one of my motivations) and while there will be people who are still learning and not very good, there will be some surprising talent as well. I met a good friend at open mic and while he is currently playing in another project, we plan on putting something together because it's fun and it will sound good. He is a solid guitarist, a good lead singer and a great harmonizer. He always sounds good. 

One aspect I like is that nobody will know they are being "auditioned". You'll be hearing what people sound like. And you will make new connections. 

If there is more than one open mic, shop around a bit and see what your local seen has to offer there. You may be surprised. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

4 hours ago, cphollis said:

Great idea!  Open mics aren't much in my local market, but that's not always the case ...

We have 4+ here in Bellingham, all of them have their good and bad points.

And I was a sideman for a good friend who does a sort of "invitational" thing. He plays the gig but he gets selected members of the audience to do a short set. 

Based on what our lead singer (band leader) has dealt with over the past tend years (and me too as a member, but NOTHING like the abuse she's gotten)...

I'd recommend volunteering at a local preschool.  That will prepare you for way too many of the aging yet completely childish musicians you'll be dealing with.

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

Based on what our lead singer (band leader) has dealt with over the past tend years (and me too as a member, but NOTHING like the abuse she's gotten)...

I'd recommend volunteering at a local preschool.  That will prepare you for way too many of the aging yet completely childish musicians you'll be dealing with.

Yes, I think we've all seen our share.  I think the only way it can be minimized is by screening for adult behavior up front, and of course confronting any childish behavior when it happens.  Although I know nothing about your situation, at some point band leaders decide to either tolerate that behavior, or not.

I like the no holds barred marketing strategy:  Target retired women who like to drink and party.  That in itself brings along many other markets automatically by association.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Sorry I haven’t read the article yet, but I do look forward to it. 
My motto for starting a band has always been, “ Find a gig and the musicians will come”

Spending time rehearsing “ I Will Survive”. “ Margaritaville”, Brown Eyed Girl, Girl From Ipanema,  and other classics seems silly to me

A good band leader has the promotional material to book the gig, then hires pros, and sends them a song list with keys and if they really have their act together some charts. 

I realize things are changing, and expectation are pretty high these days for a full on show with synchronized videos, lights, dance steps, scripted banter, playing clicks/ tracks, costumes, wigs….. But anyways I still stand by my  motto.

I would add the band begins and ends with a good drummer.  Especially for more styles based on rhythm.  I ran a successful band for a lot of years and getting musicians and singers is the toughest part.  Gigs are so easy to get.  All you need is the right product.

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

1 hour ago, Montunoman 2 said:

Sorry I haven’t read the article yet, but I do look forward to it. 
My motto for starting a band has always been, “ Find a gig and the musicians will come”

Spending time rehearsing “ I Will Survive”. “ Margaritaville”, Brown Eyed Girl, Girl From Ipanema,  and other classics seems silly to me

A good band leader has the promotional material to book the gig, then hires pros, and sends them a song list with keys and if they really have their act together some charts. 

I realize things are changing, and expectation are pretty high these days for a full on show with synchronized videos, lights, dance steps, scripted banter, playing clicks/ tracks, costumes, wigs….. But anyways I still stand by my  motto.

I don't know how your local music market works, but that approach wouldn't work in our local market.  Venue owners have been burned by promotional types who say they can get a band together, so they want to see product first. 

No product, no gig.

• Like 1

Venue owners, as a group, are jerks.   Part of it is that our band leader is female, many of them are unapologetically misogynistic.   They'll give you the runaround and more than once they've just not been at their own place when she's gone to meet them (at the time they've specified.)   We had one owner not only rehire us but tried to stiff us for a weekend--why?  Because he hired a contractor who in turn hired our drummer to do some painting, then he was unhappy with something not related to the painting.  Couldn't get his money back so he took it out on the drummer hireling's band.  Just an asshat.

To me, playing the music is far, far easier than dealing with getting gigs and trying to deal with these people.  Being good is only part of impressing them, half the time one place won't hire you because you "dared" to play at a rival club.

Not all of them are this way by any means, but it's a higher percentage than it should be.

I'd say the product's track record matters around here.  They want to know where you've played before they'll hire.  Which is of course a chicken and egg problem when you are getting started!  We had to start at down and dirty bars, meeting people (especially other bands).   Having other bands vouch for you, including letting us sit in for a few songs, has been invaluable.  That means getting out there and supporting and getting to know them.  I have kids at home and don't have time to do much of that but our singer and guitarist do it all the time when they aren't gigging.  We've gotten a fair number of gigs when another band has had to cancel and they recommended us.   We've picked up a few gigs because we are willing and able to turn down also :) 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Venue owners, as a group, are jerks.

It takes a certain sort of "cognizance failure" to want to become a venue owner in the first place. 

It's not an easy way to make money, in fact it's probably worse on average than working for McDonalds. 

LONG hours, constant employee turnover, bills, bills, bills, - astonishingly vile circumstances occurring in the restrooms that must be cleaned up, etc. 

Clubs come and go up here, people start them with all good intentions and run away screaming when reality rears it's ugly head. 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and feedback!  I will be updating it soon with a nice chunk of new content, and reposting here.

I am convinced that there are many good musicians in the world, but not that many good band leaders.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this.  A few things:

I really could get into your vision for the band, sounds like something i would really enjoy being a part of.  But from reading your example of an ad for recruiting musicians, my reaction would be "Yeah, another dad band playing classic rock, no thanks."  What i'd be looking for in an ad would be the other stuff you mention in your vision - play once or twice a month for older audiences who like to drink and dance (which would indicate a professional approach to me).

And one important point i didn't see in the rehearsal section - what does (let's say) a 2:00 rehearsal mean. Showing up at 2:00 with a load of equipment to set up while drinking a beer and schmoozing, or that the first note of the first song will be played at 2:00 (or if there's business to be discussed, at least be ready to play at 2:00).  The latter is how the tribute band i'm in is run - if someone needs an hour and a half to set up and get ready, no problem - they just arrive at the practice space at 12:30.

-- Jimbo

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JimboKeys said:

And one important point i didn't see in the rehearsal section - what does (let's say) a 2:00 rehearsal mean. Showing up at 2:00 with a load of equipment to set up while drinking a beer and schmoozing, or that the first note of the first song will be played at 2:00 (or if there's business to be discussed, at least be ready to play at 2:00).  The latter is how the tribute band i'm in is run - if someone needs an hour and a half to set up and get ready, no problem - they just arrive at the practice space at 12:30.

-- Jimbo

Agreed, but it goes deeper than that.  The same bozo who is late etc. isn't taking rehearsal time seriously, and that's the *real* problem.  I bet they didn't have a chance to listen to any of the tunes, either.   Anything that requires heavy lifting to set up, tune, etc. (drums!) we do outside of rehearsal time.  Something to add!

• Like 1

I think that some larger photos could really help with a lot of the aspects (equipment, lighting, etc.).   I'm really curious about the lighting equipment and how it actually looks on stage.   Maybe there's a way to zoom in more on Google Docs, but I can't figure it out.

Also, are you ever concerned with the lighting cans "walking off"?   At $225 a pop, I'd be concerned.

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

2 hours ago, Cabo said:

I think that some larger photos could really help with a lot of the aspects (equipment, lighting, etc.).   I'm really curious about the lighting equipment and how it actually looks on stage.   Maybe there's a way to zoom in more on Google Docs, but I can't figure it out.

Also, are you ever concerned with the lighting cans "walking off"?   At $225 a pop, I'd be concerned.

If you'd like to see how the lights look on stage, I'd invite you to visit Facebook (www.facebook.com/glorydaysverobeach) or perhaps our website by the same name.  Lots of photos to look at, although other looks are certainly possible.

I was very concerned at the outset with the possibility of cans walking off.  The cans are useless without a remote, but who would know that?  I shared that concern with my band members (they love the lights as well) and everyone tries to keep an eye on the stage.  None have walked off in many gigs, but neither are the venues rough either.  So we will see.

I may be able to take more detailed photos of key parts.

hey Chuck, a few more thoughts.. 

Include a section on communication.  I think you have it in there in a few places, but might be worth highlighting.

A do's & don'ts section.  Possibly a tips & tricks section as well? 🙂

And perhaps, a cliff notes version focusing on the top 5 most important things.  Good to cover everything, but hook 'em with the good stuff, and include the details in an appendix for those who want to dive deeper.  i.e. if they don't get the most important things right, the rest won't matter.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

11 hours ago, TommyRude said:

hey Chuck, a few more thoughts.. 

Include a section on communication.  I think you have it in there in a few places, but might be worth highlighting.

A do's & don'ts section.  Possibly a tips & tricks section as well? 🙂

And perhaps, a cliff notes version focusing on the top 5 most important things.  Good to cover everything, but hook 'em with the good stuff, and include the details in an appendix for those who want to dive deeper.  i.e. if they don't get the most important things right, the rest won't matter.

Based on your suggestions and others, I'm midway through a substantial rewrite: more sections, going deeper in a few areas, better summarizations, rewriting a few rough passages -- that sort of thing.  Be back soon!

Hello everyone, I'm back again. 

It you're still interested, this version incorporates all the great suggestions I received, plus new sections, extensive rewrites and similar.  I think it's looking pretty good as a result!

Again, if anyone would care to read it and offer their thoughts on its strengths and weaknesses, it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks again !

A Guide To Starting Your Own Local Band v1.1.pdf

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Thank you, CP Hollis.  That Guide is EXCELLENT!  I’m sharing it with a few “key” folks that I’m hoping will at least read some of it.  But they probably won’t, and will likewise always be amateurs, and sound unprofessional.  And spend their lives wondering why…..

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).