Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whatever happened to Ultimate Apex stands?

On 3/21/2023 at 10:40 PM, Synthaholic said:

I've been using the On-Stage KS7150 Platform Style Keyboard Stand and occasionally the On-Stage KSA7500 Universal 2nd Tier along with it for a number of years now, instead of my venerable Apex, and I've grown to really like the stability and ease of setup with the platform stand. And as I mentioned recently in another thread, when transported upright on a Rock 'n Roller cart, the legs straddle the cart perfectly. The only drawback with the 2nd tier is that it uses up both of the square holes in the platform, so I can't attach my mic boom like I do when just using the platform alone. But a clamp situation, like you have pictured here, would fix that problem. As long as you trust the clamps.

This is my set up too, albeit I rarely use the 2nd keyboard.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

they are getting to be almost as expensive as the K&M

Exactly!!    It's become downright ridiculous.  I've taken to seeking alternatives: E.G.  rifle bags and cases work great for some keyboards, and are  often better quality than most of the actual music cases.   Also regularly scour used & B stock market.  

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I currently have two Apex stands...one from the early 90s and one from 10 years ago. I was never comfortable putting something big like a Triton Pro or 88 key Montage on it even with the superclamp. I'm still looking for a great stand solution for my studio...I just have one of the table leg-type heavy stands with a second tier.

I miss Invisible Stands so much. They SUCKED to gig with, but they were the absolute best if you weren't going to move it.

I'm surprised Teenage Engineering or Gibraltar don't come out with an ultra expensive beautiful stand. For how vital it is in our lives, we should be willing to pay a premium for the best version of a stand. It just doesn't exist for anyone. I know a lot of us use or have used an Apex. Does anyone think it's the best "they" can do?

"For instance" is not proof.

15 minutes ago, zeronyne said:

I currently have two Apex stands...one from the early 90s and one from 10 years ago. I was never comfortable putting something big like a Triton Pro or 88 key Montage on it even with the superclamp. I'm still looking for a great stand solution for my studio...I just have one of the table leg-type heavy stands with a second tier.

I miss Invisible Stands so much. They SUCKED to gig with, but they were the absolute best if you weren't going to move it.

I'm surprised Teenage Engineering or Gibraltar don't come out with an ultra expensive beautiful stand. For how vital it is in our lives, we should be willing to pay a premium for the best version of a stand. It just doesn't exist for anyone. I know a lot of us use or have used an Apex. Does anyone think it's the best "they" can do?

Ultimate support, as the title implies, just seem to have fallen off the radar leaving (IMO) K&M as purveyors of highest quality stands. Just got my 18880 and found a new stool locally for £8 (10 dollars?). I’m all good for a sit down session and it can extend to almost a metre high. Weight is ridiculous (less than 4kg with second tier). Ignore the VR09, it’s just for reference.

20230329_130728_Original.jpeg

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

7 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Ultimate support, as the title implies, just seem to have fallen off the radar leaving (IMO) K&M as purveyors of highest quality stands. Just got my 18880 and found a new stool locally for £8 (10 dollars?). I’m all good for a sit down session and it can extend to almost a metre high. Weight is ridiculous (less than 4kg with second tier). Ignore the VR09, it’s just for reference.

20230329_130728_Original.jpeg

Paul, like Protec Bags, Ultimate Support is part of a huge business that makes way more income from golf bags and the like than musical equipment protection. I don't remember the core business of either, as I lost interest once they started pulling out of markets that mattered the most to me.

Protec was my go-to for keyboard bags for 15+ years. Interestingly, they did NOT pull out of the band instrument market, so I have two of their bags for brass instrument mutes. Very well done.

From Ultimate, I have a water bottle that I use at all gigs and when hiking or traveling. For years I didn't realize it was the same company, then one day I noticed the logo was identical and looked up the parent company website.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

14 hours ago, ewall08530 said:

This is my set up too, albeit I rarely use the 2nd keyboard.  

Me, either. Partly because of laziness, but mostly because of doing so many one-keyboard gigs I've gotten it so that I don't really need a second board. Especially since I bought the PC4-7. It covers everything nicely and has the extensive MIDI capability to handle anything I need it to do. When I do bring a second board most of the time it's my Alesis Fusion 6HD, just because I feel it should be played and not sit in it's case, and it has a lot of great sounds, especially the Hollow Sun banks. Other times it's a QS7.1 or even my JX-8P, just for s**** and giggles.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

9 hours ago, obxa said:

Exactly!!    It's become downright ridiculous.  I've taken to seeking alternatives: E.G.  rifle bags and cases work great for some keyboards, and are  often better quality than most of the actual music cases.   Also regularly scour used & B stock market.  

I used this Apache rifle case from Harbor Freight for years, for my Alesis QS7.1. Excellent build quality, moisture proof. I bought it on sale for $100. Only certain height keyboards will fit, though.

• Like 2

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Well, I discovered that another piece of equipment is almost the same dimensions and carry bags for that are very cheap, in fact I got a new one for just £25….

DJ stands (booth), the folding type. Bags are  around 1200x700x150 which is a little longer/wider than the dedicated bag, but not much and I’m sure the wiggle room will come in useful for extra padding, leads etc. Also, there isn’t a dedicated bag for the 18880 so this will do nicely for now.

IMG_0260.jpeg

• Love 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

23 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.  Lots of cool stuff going on there

Full disclosure, the following was the original text of my post:
"Sweet pedalboard! You catch this, Dave @EscapeRocks?"

😎 I get the feeling me and you are the top gearhead/stage-setup/modular/rig-o-philes.

~ vonnor

• Like 2

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.