Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sale on Nautilus - Is Something Afoot?

4 hours ago, konaboy said:

wow, that's a heck of a lot of synth for $1700...

I think I'm going to pick up a 61 as a gigging board.  It will give me a lot of flexibility as both a bottom board under a Wave 2 and as an upper board above a Stage 4 HA for my live uses.

As far as NAMM, Korg isn't exhibiting anything this year and just have a meeting room for sales meetings with distributors, as far as I know.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

No, I don't need another contender!  While I have a few issues with the Nautilus form factor (not enough controls mainly)...it does have multiple outputs (if you wanted to say use a leslie pedal, I own a Lester K) and a power supply.  Wish it had aftertouch.  Any thought on the key feel?  I haven't actually seen one of these, my local stores are wastelands.   I own the Modx7 and I've played a Fantom-07, both cheaper keybeds but quite different from each other.  I much prefer more premium keys like those on my old Motif, Virus or pc361, especially for playing piano on a synth action as they provide at least a bit of "weight".   How might the Nautilus 6 or 7 fit in with any of those?

• Like 1

As with the Vox Continental, I suspect this is more of a SW fire sale. None of these discounts have been equaled across US retailers and certainly not north of the border. I’ve always assumed the Nautilus line was transitional, so something major from Korg wouldn’t be a huge surprise, but it still seems a bit early.

Here for the gear.

27 minutes ago, drawback said:

None of these discounts have been equaled across US retailers and certainly not north of the border.

The discount has been applied at my local retailers.😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The sale goes through 6/30/2023 so you can certainly wait to see if any other interesting alternatives pop out at NAMM (whether from Korg or anyone else).

Regardless, that's certainly a lot of board for the money. 

As for the $999 Vox Continental, that one goes through 4/11/2023. The new Yamaha CK61 is an interesting competitor at that price point, providing the same kinds of hands-on control orientation with a whole lot more flexibility overall. But the Vox still offers 73 vs. 61 keys,  the metal rather than plastic chassis, probably a better action, and it's looking like probably better clonewheel sound, at least.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've played the Nautilus synth keys and I like them for what they are.  They are what you would expect for something that is in-between mid-level and flagship.  They are not as elegant as the Kronos synth keys, but I find them to be a step up in quality from the synth keys on boards like Krome, MODX, VR-09, FA-06 and I found them to be pretty expressive for piano playing at different velocity levels.... for what this keyboard is.

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

16 minutes ago, jeffinpghpa said:

I've played the Nautilus synth keys and I like them for what they are.  They are what you would expect for something that is in-between mid-level and flagship.  They are not as elegant as the Kronos synth keys, but I find them to be a step up in quality from the synth keys on boards like Krome, MODX, VR-09, FA-06 and I found them to be pretty expressive for piano playing at different velocity levels.... for what this keyboard is.

I wonder if they're the same keys as on the Kronos LS...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I thought they were newly created for Nautilus.  Woody would know.

1 hour ago, zephonic said:

Did you get one??

I haven't snatched up the Nautilus 73 yet but I'm very tempted.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, Radagast said:

It’s been applied at Musician’s Friend.

I'm now starting to see the discounts applied elsewhere (B&H for example) but MF doesn't show the Nautilus or VC when it detects my location. 

Here for the gear.

8 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I don't believe they are . The LS has "piano" looking keys were as the Nautilus has diving board keys.

The Nautilus 61+73 have decent actions but as someone mentioned they are not as nice (solid) as the Kronos 61. Certainly not flimsy

like the cheaper Kross or Krome type keybeds.

My Fantom 7 has the best, for my taste, action of any board I've played in a long time. I liked older Motifs and Tritons (synth actions) and the 

Roland reminds me of those to a reasonable degree.

Also got an email from Korg indicating these discounts.

Paul

2 minutes ago, jeffinpghpa said:

I ordered the 61 but it won’t ship for a couple days and I’m wondering if I should switch the order to a 73.

You are asking us? Does it cost more money? If yes, then do it. :2thu:

• Haha 3
:nopity:

20 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

You are asking us? Does it cost more money? If yes, then do it. :2thu:

Yes, that's in the category of "do I want more keys or less?" with this group where I should know the answer.

one thing about the nautilus that isn't mentioned much and you won't find on other workstations at this price point -

the construction and materials are a big step up from fantom-0, modx etc.

the nautilus features solid metal build with aluminium control panel, and cheeks and even the base is metal if i recall.

it's really solid and rigid compared to the similarly priced plastic-fantastics.

All of which makes it a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience to own and play.

that cold feeling of the thick metal on the control panel, it means a lot...

is it just me?

• Like 3
hang out with me at woody piano shack

3 hours ago, konaboy said:

one thing about the nautilus that isn't mentioned much and you won't find on other workstations at this price point -

the construction and materials are a big step up from fantom-0, modx etc.

the nautilus features solid metal build with aluminium control panel, and cheeks and even the base is metal if i recall.

it's really solid and rigid compared to the similarly priced plastic-fantastics.

All of which makes it a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience to own and play.

that cold feeling of the thick metal on the control panel, it means a lot...

is it just me?

Not just you!  I'm currently shopping for one of several "flagship" models to upgrade from my Modx.   The Modx is VERY capable, especially so after adding an ipad and a couple really good libraries (Purgatory Creek, Analog Xperience).  Yet I simply don't really like playing it.  Part of that is the keys, I do play a fair bit of piano live and those keys are just too fast and light.  Part of that is the plastic build, wall wart etc.   To show how much I like the sounds, one of the ones I'm considering is the Montage, if a white 61 appears used (love how that thing looks).   I'm leaning a bit toward a Fantom 6 or 7 if I can get a deal on one, or my buddy's NS3 (to go in a different direction with a weighted, if relatively light, action).   I'm reaching the point where my gigging life won't last forever, and I've got gig money building up, and I tend to not spend a ton in general in life...I'd like to get something I really want, for once, without settling!

I don't mind weight, within reason.  I've had a couple recent outdoor gigs where I literally was trying to figure out how to bungie my Modx to the stand, it's that light and it was that windy!   I have a cart for longer trips and would get a wheeled case for anything much over 30 pounds.   There are a couple great deals on used Kronus 2 88 and Roland Fantom 8s right now at GC...but 53 and 62 pounds respectively...ooooof.

Might sound trivial, but I don't like what I've seen and read about the Nautilus chassis.  I've had keyboards with weird angles (Motif) and rounded edges and they are really easy to drop.
Edit: Farfisakid mentions above that it's not as bad as feared!  :)  

I can rationalize a "flagship" model as I could use a better controller for home use.  That hurts the Nautilus as well as for that I'd like aftertouch.   I'm using an old Pc361, which has great action, but I had to disable the pitch wheel as it was sending out random messages.

2 hours ago, Stokely said:

The Modx is VERY capable, especially so after adding an ipad and a couple really good libraries (Purgatory Creek, Analog Xperience).  Yet I simply don't really like playing it.  Part of that is the keys, I do play a fair bit of piano live and those keys are just too fast and light.

Adjusting the velocity offset and depth parameters made a huge difference to me, in how playable pianos were from the MODX7 action. (Note that this is not a global adjustment, so it needs to be made separately for each piano patch...  though of course, once you do it once, you can copy that same modified piano into as many other Performances as you want.) Surprisingly, I had to even do something similar on the hammer action CP73/YC73 keys.

As semi-weighteds go, although I only played it for a few minutes, I think the Fantom6/7 should be quite playable for piano. I haven't played a Nautilus. I like the Kurzweil PC4-7. As for a weighted but relatively light action (your Nord Stage 3 scenario, assuming you meant the 88), if you could locate a Forte 7, it has about the same travel weight, but its hammer action is even more suitable for organ (it's a lighter version of the same action).

But also, if you like the MODX for everything except the piano playing action, maybe consider keeping the MODX and putting a not-too-heavy and not-too-pricey but decent feeling piano action board below it. Possibilities might include Casio PX360/PX560/PX5S, Kawai ES110/ES520, Korg D1. Those came to mind first because they have 5-pin MIDI. But IIRC, the MODX also supports external controllers over its USB connection, which gives you more choices.

I actually have a Forte 7 :)   I had an issue with it not starting sometimes, but a reset looks to have fixed it.  I love most things about it--including the action, it's very much like my old Studiologic controller with some form of TP40-- but there's a big problem--I don't like or understand programming it.  I've taken right to the Modx, but I've had all kinds of difficulties programming single patches and then more difficulties using them in multi mode.  I've found reverse engineering even simple patches quite confusing.   

I'm still testing it to make sure it starts reliably, once I'm confident in it doing so I'm putting it up for sale. 

Interesting about the "depth" on Modx, the only thing I've done is adjust the global velocity curve to "soft" to make it require more force to get ff piano tone.   In general I have done many a gig with actions like the Motif and pc361 and they work better for piano.  Not as good for organ but I have an sk pro for that!

On 3/15/2023 at 7:41 AM, jeffinpghpa said:

As far as NAMM, Korg isn't exhibiting anything this year and just have a meeting room for sales meetings with distributors, as far as I know.

Maybe Korg will have something to show a month later at Superbooth.

7 hours ago, GRollins said:

And Grey sighs, rolls his eyes, and notches up yet another thread touting Sweetwater, when other retailers get spanked and shown the door...

Grey

Sweetwater was one of the first, if not THE first to have the new prices.  I checked.  And if you would take the time to read the responses, you’ll see other retailers discussed.