Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Downloading VST's To External Hard Drive for Storage Prior To Install

Hello Everyone,

I had asked a similar question about 6 months or so ago, but could use some additional info.

I'd like to download the VST application software and sound libraries to an external MY Passport HDD (not SSD) for safekeeping before moving the VST application itself to my M1 MAC Mini and the libraries to an external SSD Thunderbolt drive. Is this possible when downloading for example Komplete, VSL Piano Libraries or the KORG sound libraries.

I'd like to just have the application and sound library files on a hard drive prior to any installation, similar to what Keyscape and Komplete offer when purchasing the boxed version.

Regards,

Anthony

It depends on the plugin. Some companies won't let you just download a zip file or whatever that you can install at your convenience. Frankly I hate that and it's becoming more and more common...companies insist you download and install their installer program so you can download and install their plugins. And yes that's as ridiculous as it sounds. I tend to avoid such companies.

A vst is just a .dll file. You can store it or copies anywhere you want. You'll need to run it from a host. Any host. A host like Reaper has a folder in its program files called something like Effects. You just drop the .dll file in there and Reaper scans and finds  it when the program boots up. If you have a license number to put in, you can do that inside of the host when you "insert new vst on track".

FunMachine.

After the nightmare downloading of an IK Multimedia Total Max Pro (or something) package, it seemed not to allow me to download the sample libraries straight onto an external drive; had to do literally one instrument at a time as, as you know, Mac SSDs are either tiny or silly expensive these days. Do I really want to babysit a machine rather than doing something useful?

The whole point in computers is to do the same thing over and over - that's THEIR job 😝 I'd rather let the computer worry about that in the background while I do stuff! One more rant being after purchasing the thing, I had to wait almost a week to get a download link and serials etc. Not happy at all.

I would indeed love to be able to install Native Access or IK Product Manager or whatever on the system drive, download a zip with the libs, and simply tell them where these are. Such a pain when you're dealing with 100s of GB! Sure they must have a reason! 

• Like 1

Ik MULTIMEDIA stuff isn't your usual VST. It is bogged down with all kinds of verification and licensing stuff that seems to require you to be online while installing and blah blah blah. So I retract my opinions I offered earlier as probably wrong at least as IKMM is concerned.

FunMachine.

7 hours ago, AnthonyM said:

I'd like to download the VST application software and sound libraries to an external MY Passport HDD (not SSD)

For NI Komplete (U / UCE), you just only need to install Native Access on your system drive.

Then connect any ext. drive to your computer and tell NI Access where product downloads should go.

But have in mind, downloads to s standard SATA HDD mounted in an ext. drive are slow.

I´m doing that on my DAW and w/ an internal 10k upm WD VelocyRaptor HDD I use for downloads and audio recordings, just only to avoid too quick wear and tear of my SSDs.

All my downloads go there and I install from there.

I did w/ NI Komplete Ultimate CE p.ex.

I make a backup of downloaded installer- and ISO files later.

Because NI Access allows to change the download/ content path,- you can move libraries around later and relocate ´em in NI Access window.

So, when a drive is full, you don´t need a larger drive urgently.

Boxed versions don´t prevent from download.

There are never the latest version installers and ISOs on these "boxed" drives.

:)

A.C.

5 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

A vst is just a .dll file.

Not always and when you download.

Some are installers which put different files into different locations, especially when a standalone version is included.

A.C.

27 minutes ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

k MULTIMEDIA stuff isn't your usual VST. It is bogged down with all kinds of verification and licensing stuff that seems to require you to be online while installing

I was able downloading IKM installers for B3X and the "CS" freebies and save to disk after I logged in into my account.

You need to install IKM product manager for authorizations and updates.

There are 2 ways,- download, install and authorize via product manager in one go,- or download the zip file (installer inside) and install/authorize later.

A.C.

Like Al Coda said go to the IK website and login, click on My Products....here you'll find all of your downloads. You'll just have to use IK Product Manager for auth. and to check for updates.  The application downloads are available forever but the Sounds downloads are only available for 180 days...after that you have to pay for a d/l credit...10.00 or so.

I backup everything to bluray so I don't waste drive space but they are secure....I've never lost a cd, dvd, or bluray but harddrives are another story ;)

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

10 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

A vst is just a .dll file

The OP mentions an M1 Mac. What is this "DLL" file you speak of? 🙂 

Anytime I download something I've had the ability to select the download location. Just specify your external and download there. When you're ready to install, move the file to your internal drive (or install it from the external, that may work fine). I'm not sure the location from where you run the installer matters, since all plugin files must go to specific locations on the Mac and those are hard-coded in the installer. Maybe WIndows machines are different, I'm just relating my experience with Mac software.

If the OP is asking about keeping large sound libraries on an external, I've done that too. In my experience with Macs, some installers let you choose the location for large libraries; others default to the internal drive. In the latter case, I find the folder containing the library (often in Library/Application Support/company name), move it to an external and set up a symbolic link in the original location.

5 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

..... a symbolic link in the original location.

With the .dll thing I had you as a Mac person but this "symbolic link" ? IMPOSTER! :roll:It is an alternative working link used as a shortcut to an object known as an "alias."

I know you know 🙂

On 3/8/2023 at 2:25 AM, Adam Burgess said:

After the nightmare downloading of an IK Multimedia Total Max Pro (or something) package, it seemed not to allow me to download the sample libraries straight onto an external drive; had to do literally one instrument at a time as, as you know, Mac SSDs are either tiny or silly expensive these days. Do I really want to babysit a machine rather than doing something useful?

The whole point in computers is to do the same thing over and over - that's THEIR job 😝 I'd rather let the computer worry about that in the background while I do stuff! One more rant being after purchasing the thing, I had to wait almost a week to get a download link and serials etc. Not happy at all.

I would indeed love to be able to install Native Access or IK Product Manager or whatever on the system drive, download a zip with the libs, and simply tell them where these are. Such a pain when you're dealing with 100s of GB! Sure they must have a reason! 

They do. They enjoy sucking. :) I avoid certain companies like the plague for this reason, such as IK and Waves. The more difficult a company makes it to simply download and install, the more easily they lose my business. Spitfire LABS takes this to new heights (depths?) of suckitude, but then again they are free :)