Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does incessant repetition of musical phrases drive anyone else nuts?

aka what I am calling the "Bill Withers Syndrome" (IknowIknowIknowIknowIknowIknowIknow) only with notes....sure sometimes SOME repetition works, but I'm talking excessive...it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me and it never ceases to amaze me that any musician would think it's a good idea. Merits an immediate song change at home (and if it's live not much you can do so I just clench my teeth and pray for it to end lol). Just wondering if there were any other teeth clenchers in the audience. 

Not a Sweet Dreams fan, eh?

I'm more annoyed by songs where the chord progression hardly moves at all - thinking of songs where the verses just stay on the tonic the entire time.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

1 hour ago, JamPro said:

Do you mean like the 5 or 6 notes heard in every pop guitar solos since like 1960?

Or the boring same old same old keyboard solos? 

Or the repetitive bass lines?

Or the drummer playing one beat?

Or the drum machine playing one beat?

All that stuff? There's lots of it but I gotta give the OP props because out of all that "I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, " drives me closest to mass murder followed by suicide. So, first post nailed it. 

And... what does "he know"? That's the question. John Prine may have answered it "Nothing but a big bunch of nothing, driving me insane."

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I understand the OP's subject but Bill Withers's Ain't No Sunshine is not the poster boy example. It would be the exception. That particular part of the song is the best part and I and I know many many many many many many many many many many others waited for it every time we heard that played on the radio back in its day.

3 hours ago, JamPro said:

Do you mean like the 5 or 6 notes heard in every pop guitar solos since like 1960?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but probably no.

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

Or the boring same old same old keyboard solos? 

Or the repetitive bass lines?

Or the drummer playing one beat?

Or the drum machine playing one beat?

No. This isn't simply about anything that has any repetition of any kind in a song or is unoriginal. I mean taking a few notes as part of a solo and repeating it excessively (granted what's excessive is subjective). IMO it's like screaming "I don't know what to play and have no original ideas of any kind."

One of the most well-worn examples is when in so many pop/rock songs they do this bit, play these notes quickly (again an example, of course the key can vary):  G,A,C  - overandoverandoverand insert power puke here

out of all that "I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, " drives me closest to mass murder followed by suicide. So, first post nailed it. 

ty sir. I was hoping someone could relate but admit I wasn't sure. :)  I like Bill Withers a lot and RIP but the guy had serious OCD issues. 

33 minutes ago, bill5 said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but probably no.

No. This isn't simply about anything that has any repetition of any kind in a song or is unoriginal. I mean taking a few notes as part of a solo and repeating it excessively (granted what's excessive is subjective). IMO it's like screaming "I don't know what to play and have no original ideas of any kind."

One of the most well-worn examples is when in so many pop/rock songs they do this bit, play these notes quickly (again an example, of course the key can vary):  G,A,C  - overandoverandoverand insert power puke here

ty sir. I was hoping someone could relate but admit I wasn't sure. :)  I like Bill Withers a lot and RIP but the guy had serious OCD issues. 

It would be like some parts of the solo infinite ending of Freebird then too?

I've sometimes heard jazz soloists that otherwise have wonderful studio improvisations, to resort to endless phrase repetitions in live concerts, probably out of nervousness. But it's really annoying. I would prefer a memorized solo rather than hearing some repeated phrases.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, counterpoint said:

Neil Young guitar solo on Southern Man...

That overlaps with another whole category "Endless Guitar Solos";  also capable of driving one nuts. . .

e.g. Freebird,, Comfortably Numb to name a couple

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

11 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

I've sometimes heard jazz soloists that otherwise have wonderful studio improvisations, to resort to endless phrase repetitions in live concerts, probably out of nervousness.

I've heard that once but that was more out of being very very drunk.

• Haha 1

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

20 minutes ago, StanC said:

That overlaps with another whole category "Endless Guitar Solos";  also capable of driving one nuts. . .

I like Slash's comment on this...apropos to the topic...  https://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/man-breaks-world-record-longest-guitar-solo/    I wonder if there's a world's record is for the longest keyboard solo...?

21 hours ago, bill5 said:

If I come across a good example of what I mean, I'll post.

This is a relatively tame example compared to some I've heard, but in the name of trying to illustrate the point...I was just listening to Fourplay live at San Xavier Jazz Festival and Larry Carlton is playing a solo (you might be able to find on youtube) and towards the end (on the recorded version, 9:00-9:10 mark) he does it....and as I think of it, I think it is more common in blues solos.

I would say my answer to this is no. It only bothers me if it's because of the absence of other ideas, or if the player doesn't build or have a destination for what comes after the phrase. I actually think repetition is a very powerful tool, used right. You just have to mean it, wherever you do it.

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

1 hour ago, EricBarker said:

I’m at a pub and the stereo is playing “Centerfold” (J Giles)… please make it stop! Way to milk a half-decent melody until it sucks.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity but I'm not certain about the first one." ~ Albert Einstein